don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru outback, 2021 Mach- E Premium ER RWD
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Is damage to this part due to it being cheap brittle plastic covered under warranty?
They are quite fragile. My shutter needed replacement after a chunk of ice hit it and broke a couple of the flaps resulting in the entire assembly collapsing. Fifteen hundred dollar repair bill mostly paid by insurance, not under warranty. I'm still open to buying some kind of grill protector if it becomes available,
Sponsored

Rumline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4x
Country flag
is this something your insurance company would cover? is it something you want them to cover (meaning taking the hit on your policy as part of that)?
I think they'll cover it...still waiting for an adjuster to come take a look at it. Nearly 5k is above my threshold for "just pay it myself" so I'm going to file the claim assuming they'll cover it. It's comprehensive not collision so it shouldn't ding me too bad, fingers crossed.

I honestly think if the prices were the same and I wasn't price locked at a good interest rate and pre-price increase price, I would dump my order and pick up a BMW i4 edrive50 a local dealer has instead.
Keep the order, get the BMW, then flip the Mach E for profit.

I still love my Mach E. Looked at other options out of boredom the other day and can't find anything I'd rather have. Maybe an R1S but those're still 18 months away.

Edit: to prevent the rock strike in the future I'm thinking of putting up some 1/4" chicken wire in front of the radiator. There's space in there. Because if you reinforce the doors, that's cool, but if the doors are open and in comes a rock...RIP. How is this not a design flaw? Maybe the doors are only open when you're stationary/moving slowly?

Last edited:

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I think they'll cover it...still waiting for an adjuster to come take a look at it. Nearly 5k is above my threshold for "just pay it myself" so I'm going to file the claim assuming they'll cover it. It's comprehensive not collision so it shouldn't ding me too bad, fingers crossed.

I still love my Mach E. Looked at other options out of boredom the other day and can't find anything I'd rather have. Maybe an R1S but those're still 18 months away.

Edit: to prevent the rock strike in the future I'm thinking of putting up some 1/4" chicken wire in front of the radiator. There's space in there. Because if you reinforce the doors, that's cool, but if the doors are open and in comes a rock...RIP. How is this not a design flaw? Maybe the doors are only open when you're stationary/moving slowly?
what's surprising to me is that this is not the first Ford to have active shutters. I wonder if these are designed differently or just really bad luck, or this happens and we don't hear or..., just dont't have enough information right now to do anything but vaguely guess.

StillWaitingForMachE

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 IBSM ER AWD California Rt 1 MME (Mike-E)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I want my Mach E. Just been really frustrated recently as it seems like "Recall recall another cheap part recall" and I still don't have my car and it's been 8 months. And I got really really excited last week because it was supposed to be delivered, but it wasn't and now it's late and I'm really just losing my mind at this point :(

The BMW was a solid car though.

Update: I got my Mach E a few months ago. Waiting for it was the right choice

Last edited:

AOSK

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E select
Country flag
:eek:oh wow, some discussions here. we been thinking about this, but we cant really find a good solution. because the part that would likely to break is where these plastic pieces connect to the car. it might change nth if we only adding some snap-in cover on it.

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Select AWD SR
Country flag
Dealing with this myself. Missing one on the passenger side. I'm not afraid to replace it myself, but I'm really struggling with the $500 price tag for the part. I found someone that sent me some spares from their damaged vents, but they didn't have the ONE vent I need. Looks like the vent came out but nothing else broke.

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Still looking for a replacement shutter for mine as I only need one. $600+ for the full front piece does not seem worth it. Anyone have any better ideas?

DadzBoyz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach-E GTPE (ordered), 20 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Software Systems Integrator
Country flag
I could see something like this, black, framed and put over the louvers.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Suggestion for New Product - active grill shutter protector 1666730534707

AOSK

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E select
Country flag
I could see something like this, black, framed and put over the louvers.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Suggestion for New Product - active grill shutter protector 1666730534707
hey! you do remind me!
we were kept thinking about adding sth on top of the active shutter, but then we think it wont change the strength of the original active shutter.
but this we could make, we made something called bug-proof net for the front grille on other cars previously, just didnt think of this one could actually solve this issue.

OP
OP
dcbr

dcbr

First Name
don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru outback, 2021 Mach- E Premium ER RWD
Occupation
retired
Country flag
hey! you do remind me!
we were kept thinking about adding sth on top of the active shutter, but then we think it wont change the strength of the original active shutter.
but this we could make, we made something called bug-proof net for the front grille on other cars previously, just didnt think of this one could actually solve this issue.
Go for it. I would love to see some prototypes you have in mind. Even some minimal protection from ice chunks and road debris would help.

agdad

Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford Edge
Country flag
A Stick on metal mesh custom cut for each louvre

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
:eek:oh wow, some discussions here. we been thinking about this, but we cant really find a good solution. because the part that would likely to break is where these plastic pieces connect to the car. it might change nth if we only adding some snap-in cover on it.
How about just creating replacement parts? Seems like there could be some business in replacements as owners start to lose a shutter. I'm still looking for a replacement for mine.

AOSK

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E select
Country flag
How about just creating replacement parts? Seems like there could be some business in replacements as owners start to lose a shutter. I'm still looking for a replacement for mine.
still? which piece was broken on your case?
I could probably get you the 3d scan data of it to 3d print quick fix
Ford Mustang Mach-E Suggestion for New Product - active grill shutter protector e119955b23d4cd82093749962cee8b0

Ford Mustang Mach-E Suggestion for New Product - active grill shutter protector b11aee8bc98ae8a12b0375fdc63b3ab

Ford Mustang Mach-E Suggestion for New Product - active grill shutter protector 42e1ac9dc6807d6132c1f262ae4a31c

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@AOSK Passenger side middle.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Suggestion for New Product - active grill shutter protector 5711295F-6BC1-449A-90AA-6D32BEF51C64
Sponsored

Last edited: