don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru outback, 2021 Mach- E Premium ER RWD
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I would like to suggest ASOSK consider an active grill shutter protector. These shutters are very fragile as I found out when a chunk of ice from the car ahead of me hit my car in the grill area and displaced a couple of the shutters and broke the framework they set in resulting in the entire apparatus collapsing. Perhaps some sort of color-matched aluminum grill piece that could be somehow fastened or snapped into the openings in front of the shutters.
Sponsored

hbirring01

First Name
Harman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The middle of those shutters is where the sensor is for acc so cant block those. I imagine it will be hard to develop something for that.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Impossible, because the plastic of the shutters is the plastic of the entire section of the front end. The painted sections above and below are resilient, but the gray section is not. Mounted steel to it, and where it mounts will still give way.

Body shop Manager told me that all Fords in the past few years have this type of composite plastic and they all break really easy.

OP
OP
dcbr

dcbr

First Name
don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Impossible, because the plastic of the shutters is the plastic of the entire section of the front end. The painted sections above and below are resilient, but the gray section is not. Mounted steel to it, and where it mounts will still give way.

Body shop Manager told me that all Fords in the past few years have this type of composite plastic and they all break really easy.
Bummer. Over $1500 to repair it if you break it.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bummer. Over $1500 to repair it if you break it.
No, not that much, but not a lot less. I posted the costs involved a few places. Part is like $750, labor is close to $600.

OP
OP
dcbr

dcbr

First Name
don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
No, not that much, but not a lot less. I posted the costs involved a few places. Part is like $750, labor is close to $600.
Do you have a proper name and Ford Part number for this part? I would like to do a google search for the part, since my body shop is coming up empty in locating a part.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do you have a proper name and Ford Part number for this part? I would like to do a google search for the part, since my body shop is coming up empty in locating a part.
Sure, but no Ford dealer shows whether it's in stock or not on their website to my knowledge.

The insert that is dark grey with the shutters is LJ9Z8475A. It has a list price of $740.52. My dealer sells it on their website for $488.74, but then you have to install it. Shutter assembly (HSS). Some sites call it Radiator Support Air Deflector (Front, Lower). W/O GT.

romanservices

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GTPE, FJ Cruiser, F150 EcoBoost, F-53
Country flag
We had to run around for a month with out the shutters due to stock issues. body shop simply left the motor plugged in and zip tied to the middle portion. No codes or issues, finally got it replaced a month ago.

I'd buy some type of grill insert

Rumline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4x
Country flag
Oh dang, this seems serious, does other owners here also would like a product like this?
Yes, I would.

The price to replace the shutters is annoying, but I found out the hard way that they need to be replaced ASAP. A rock found its way in through the opening and put a hole in my radiator. No battery or cabin cooling now. Dealer quoted $4600 parts and labor to replace condenser and shutter assembly.

StillWaitingForMachE

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 IBSM ER AWD California Rt 1 MME (Mike-E)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Is damage to this part due to it being cheap brittle plastic covered under warranty?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Nope, because it's "road damage".
I was afraid that was the case.

is this something your insurance company would cover? is it something you want them to cover (meaning taking the hit on your policy as part of that)?

StillWaitingForMachE

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 IBSM ER AWD California Rt 1 MME (Mike-E)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Nope, because it's "road damage".
Man, Ford is really starting to seem like a low quality brand recently. What with all the recalls due to cheap parts, and making a very important part that sits right in the front of the vehicle out of such a brittle material. Really starting to question my wisdom in ordering a Mach E. I honestly think if the prices were the same and I wasn't price locked at a good interest rate and pre-price increase price, I would dump my order and pick up a BMW i4 edrive50 a local dealer has instead.
Sponsored