Sunglass compartment BROKEN

GrisGris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RR ER AWD
Country flag
Ugh... Same problem here. Funny thing is that I just about never close mine. I tried to today because I had earlier decided to punch it and sensed something flying into the back seat. Came to realize it was my sunglasses flying out of the holder! But the damn thing won't close.

The crappy thing is that I just got my car back from the dealer because they had to replace a window that they scratched the hell out of, I assume when unwrapping it prior to delivery.

Back I go...
Sponsored

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
I ran into this issue. The more I looked at the it was some pretty crappy engineering for the sunglass holder design. I am having to go threw the dealership to get it fix.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Sounds like the ash tray cover on my momā€™s ā€˜93 5.0 LX Convertible. It broke 3 times under warranty. She wasnā€™t a smoker, so she almost never used the ash tray, except to keep the cigar lighter in it. We gave up while it was still under warranty.

GrisGris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RR ER AWD
Country flag
My dealer couldn't find an appropriate clip (that apparently is the issue) to fix it so they ordered a whole new console assembly, which is the only way to replace it. That was on back order of course but getting it replaced Friday.

itsthenewdc

First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Line Producer
Country flag
My dealer couldn't find an appropriate clip (that apparently is the issue) to fix it so they ordered a whole new console assembly, which is the only way to replace it. That was on back order of course but getting it replaced Friday.
Are they fixing it for free? Just saw on Ford Parts the overhead console is $600+. No way in hell I'm paying anything to get this fixed, especially when it seems to be an issue for more than just myself. I've literally never used the sunglasses holder before, and the piece that latches in is gone/broken off.

txaggies07

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE FE Rapid Red
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
My little brackets piece that holds it shut rattled and drives me crazy.

GrisGris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RR ER AWD
Country flag
Are they fixing it for free? Just saw on Ford Parts the overhead console is $600+. No way in hell I'm paying anything to get this fixed, especially when it seems to be an issue for more than just myself. I've literally never used the sunglasses holder before, and the piece that latches in is gone/broken off.
Oh yes, certainly. That was never in question. Works fine now. We'll see for how long...

MMECR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mustang Mach E, '06 Mustang,'92 Mustang GT 5.0
Country flag
Mine is out of alignment, not terrible. Iā€™m taking my car in today to get the phone as a key update and Iā€™m going to have them look at it. Will update later.

Attachments

MMECR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mustang Mach E, '06 Mustang,'92 Mustang GT 5.0
Country flag
Service said that it looked ok and was the same as another MME that they looked at. After some complaining on my part they are ordering a new one to replace it to see if it will line up better. (FYI, PAAK update didnā€™t work)

Darryl.sue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e select RWD
Country flag
Mine just broke as well. Tiny little stub off of the housing snapped. This is a poor design and certainly not enough plastic there to hold up over time. Weā€™ll see what the dealer says for replacement.

905E1549-A884-4270-A9E3-E1B001864AB8.jpeg

E13B723A-8FC2-4F2F-919B-0CFB059AFC7C.jpeg

GrisGris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RR ER AWD
Country flag
Sorry to hear it. I'll be very surprised if you have an issue getting it replaced under warranty, but I have no long term faith in this design. Must be same person who designed that trunk shade holder!

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
Well, mine just broke also. Hopefully everyone here has had success with it getting replaced under warranty. This really is a very poorly engineered part.
mine broke this weekend too. So, maybe we are seeing that this is the life cycle for this part - 18-24 months.

GrisGris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RR ER AWD
Country flag
Since the last replacement, I've taken to very gingerly closing and opening it, and it has held up thus far. I'd simply avoid closing it if my sunglasses didn't fly to the back when I punch it!
Sponsored