Survey: High Voltage Battery Junction Box issues?

Has your car experienced a failure related to the High Voltage Battery Junction Box?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
It would seem Ford is taking each of these and treating them with utmost service, will the Government involvement get more urgency? I applaud the work of the NHTSA as a Government Employee myself, USAF, but with Ford taking these 23, let's double it and say 46 out of 75,000 cars that's . 0613 percent of vehicles affected. Is Ford not appropriately researcing this? No offense Scoop and I'm all for people reporting, but i think this manufacturer is working the case.
Sponsored

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
It would seem Ford is taking each of these and treating them with utmost service, will the Government involvement get more urgency? I applaud the work of the NHTSA as a Government Employee myself, USAF, but with Ford taking these 23, let's double it and say 46 out of 75,000 cars that's . 0613 percent of vehicles affected. Is Ford not appropriately researcing this? No offense Scoop and I'm all for people reporting, but i think this manufacturer is working the case.
I'm not sure they are trying to keep owners happy by fixing the complete failure of their relatively new car out of altruism.

As has been discussed in many other threads, we don't know the root cause or how common a problem this is in the general population of MMEs. We do know it is a pretty catestrophic failure when it happens and can be a safety issue because it can happen at speed while driving.

I think it is important to keep pressure on Ford, not because I don't appreciate their help in getting my car back on the road, but because they have not provided transparency on the nature of the design defect, how common it is, what causes it, and a solution to fix the defect.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
I'm not sure they are trying to keep owners happy by fixing the complete failure of their relatively new car out of altruism.

As has been discussed in many other threads, we don't know the root cause or how common a problem this is in the general population of MMEs. We do know it is a pretty catestrophic failure when it happens and can be a safety issue because it can happen at speed while driving.

I think it is important to keep pressure on Ford, not because I don't appreciate their help in getting my car back on the road, but because they have not provided transparency on the nature of the design defect, how common it is, what causes it, and a solution to fix the defect.
We do agree, Im not sure they know yet with certainly what the software, hardware, assembly, subcomponent is that is affecting these small number of vehicles. If that's the case, they've got no more definitive information to share yet is all I'm saying. I don't think they're holding back something they know, they are looking for the cause and I think when they have it, they'll be able to tell us.

It took Honda four years to fix the 06-09 civic Hybrids premature Battery failure. I'm not saying it will take Ford that long, but it happens and the Great Engineers at these companies are eager to solve problems like these. I'm sure Ford's engineers are just as eager.
I know it's hard to be patient sometimes, but better right than fast.

Last edited:

NecessaryActs

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME ER
Okay good, it's at least a decent population with various build dates.
Now I'm down to those that had failures, have any only used Ford mobile charger?
I never used a Ford mobile charger. I had a 40amp outlet installed for charging at home. I did a partial charge once at an EVGo charging station when I was out of town.

NecessaryActs

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME ER

Happened to me when I was driving 75mph on a major highway with a very narrow shoulder. Absolutely no warning. Just a sudden total loss of power with the accompanying "stop safely now" message on the dash. Definitely an "oh sh**t" moment, to say nothing of the safety implications. Fortunately I was driving in the far right lane so I was able to get on the shoulder before the car completely stopped.

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I guess I'm missing something here. The poll shows 9 out of 73 vehicles affected. The poll closed earlier this month though and not sure why it wasn't kept open. And not having a Mach e yet I couldn't see the results of the google sheet.
I was not able to update the poll to add questions, so I switched to a Google Form and spreadsheet, which can be found in the first post. That spreadsheet is updated automatically within a few minutes of someone submitting a response to the form.

I would delete the poll if I knew how, but I cannot figure out how to delete it. Maybe there's an @admin who can do so.

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I added a filter (Yes Responses sheet) for just the Yes responses. Then I created several additional sheets with simple extractions of answers based on first that Yes response. Some simple charts are included in the other sheets. You can see these by going to the first post in this thread, clicking on the spreadsheet's bottom tabs. For example, to see the distribution of drive (AWD or RWD) for the Yes responses, you can click on the Drive tab. Screenshotted:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Survey: High Voltage Battery Junction Box issues? Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 22.30.26

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Of course, these data still don't truly inform without some additional data. For example, I don't know the distribution of AWD vs RWD Mustangs that were sold. Were only 12% of the Mustangs sold RWDs?

I made an assumption when I built the form that the question of GT vs not GT would be informative because I had assumed the vehicles with failures would mostly be GTs, but I should have just asked about trim.

Anyway, other such plots can be made. If you'd like copy access to the spreadsheet, let me know. For that I'll need an email address, so DM me.

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I made a copy of the big order tracking sheet to provide some approximation of the "general population" data.

The tracking spreadsheet indicates that the AWD vs RWD distribution is slightly less AWD heavy than what we see with the significantly less data-rich failure results from my survey form.

So, it *seems* like maybe the AWDs are slightly more over-represented in the failure reports compared with the "general population." However, there are still only 26 Yes responses, so it's not entirely obvious that's the case.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Survey: High Voltage Battery Junction Box issues? Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 22.53.39

Last edited:
OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Similarly, about 80% of the vehicles listed in the tracking page have the Extended Range battery while about 92% of the vehicles with failures have an ER. Again, the stats are not reliable enough that you should run to your dealer and change your order from an ER to a SR.

None of the questions I asked has revealed an obvious trend. Except, perhaps the 2021 model year vs 2022 model year, but that could just be because the parts have had more time to fail.

This is still a very small number of failures.

Note that Ford did recall Mustang Mach-Es that had a wonky software push to the wrong cars which caused unintended acceleration. That was for fewer than 500 cars out of the many tens of thousands that have been delivered. If this is or becomes a widespread problem, Ford will issue the appropriate recalls. They have already issued recalls for less potentially dangerous problems than this.

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
Similarly, about 80% of the vehicles listed in the tracking page have the Extended Range battery while about 92% of the vehicles with failures have an ER. Again, the stats are not reliable enough that you should run to your dealer and change your order from an ER to a SR.

None of the questions I asked has revealed an obvious trend. Except, perhaps the 2021 model year vs 2022 model year, but that could just be because the parts have had more time to fail.

This is still a very small number of failures.

Note that Ford did recall Mustang Mach-Es that had a wonky software push to the wrong cars which caused unintended acceleration. That was for fewer than 500 cars out of the many tens of thousands that have been delivered. If this is or becomes a widespread problem, Ford will issue the appropriate recalls. They have already issued recalls for less potentially dangerous problems than this.
Can you check percentage of orders with ER with AWD vs percentage of failures of vehicles with ER with AWD?

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Can you check percentage of orders with ER with AWD vs percentage of failures of vehicles with ER with AWD?
Here they are. I think the failure counts are too low to trust that there's a strong indicator here, but there is the pattern I think one of your previous posts suggested. ER+AWD seems to be slightly more likely to have the failure. But I'm certainly not going to trade my ER+AWD in for a SR+RWD.

General population (of forum member entries into the tracking sheet):
61% ER/AWD; 19% ER/RWD; 8% SR/AWD; 12% SR/RWD

Ford Mustang Mach-E Survey: High Voltage Battery Junction Box issues? Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 07.38.29

HVBJB failure population:
81% ER/AWD; 12% ER/RWD; 8% SR/AWD

Ford Mustang Mach-E Survey: High Voltage Battery Junction Box issues? Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 07.41.50

tesla2mme

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT in the best color ever made (cyber orange!)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I'd like to report today that our 2021 MME GT eAWD threw a "stop safely now" error. This is the first day over 100 degrees F, so we attributed it to that? I don't know. The car powered off and forced us to stop, we pulled safely to the side of the road, but got honked at a few times including one dude who said "stupid EV" really loud at his window. Anyways.

We "rebooted" the car, being the good 90s kids we are, and then drove it home with no further error codes. I have now driven it a couple times today and it's still about 95 degrees outside, with zero errors at all.

It seems like the HVJB errors like @scoopman and so many have had, are BSOD-style fatal exception errors that require immediate transport to a dealership (e.g., the transmission locks up and forces a tow).

Is there anyone with experience with a temporary "stop safely now" that is a result of extreme heat? Our area is normally in the 70s but today was an aberration.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
I'd like to report today that our 2021 MME GT eAWD threw a "stop safely now" error. This is the first day over 100 degrees F, so we attributed it to that? I don't know. The car powered off and forced us to stop, we pulled safely to the side of the road, but got honked at a few times including one dude who said "stupid EV" really loud at his window. Anyways.

We "rebooted" the car, being the good 90s kids we are, and then drove it home with no further error codes. I have now driven it a couple times today and it's still about 95 degrees outside, with zero errors at all.

It seems like the HVJB errors like @scoopman and so many have had, are BSOD-style fatal exception errors that require immediate transport to a dealership (e.g., the transmission locks up and forces a tow).

Is there anyone with experience with a temporary "stop safely now" that is a result of extreme heat? Our area is normally in the 70s but today was an aberration.
Oh no! The only way to really know what is going on is to pull the diagnostic codes. That will tell you what was going on.

Do you have an OBD reader to do this?

I would take it to a dealer, I'm not sure you want to keep driving it around without it getting looked at.
Sponsored