Survey: High Voltage Battery Junction Box issues?

Has your car experienced a failure related to the High Voltage Battery Junction Box?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mach-Evan

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-e GT / F-150 Lightning res.
Country flag
@chrisbastow A Roush Eng?! Interesting. Surprising that one would have such EV experience. I do know no one wants to touch the HV connectors w/o discharging as possible, using the proper PPE gear and following steps, etc.

We were stuck with a Full-size GMC pickup with a 2.7L 4cyl for almost 3 weeks before driving 750 mile each way back to retrieve our car. Know how it feels to miss it!!!
Sponsored

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
Yea, we definitely need more data to really determine the correlation and causation. Hopefully more people respond to the survey!
Hopefully it was a small bad batch that seemed to go into the ER awd’s and we won the wrong lottery!

rinsmars

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium EAWD
Country flag
With the Advance Recall notice issued and news articles on the HVBJB failures stating Ford is attributing the failures to DCFC and repeated open-pedal driving, I was interested in comparing that to the Survey results. It appears there are several owners that had the failure that have done neither of those things. Wonder how Ford is accounting for those?

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
With the Advance Recall notice issued and news articles on the HVBJB failures stating Ford is attributing the failures to DCFC and repeated open-pedal driving, I was interested in comparing that to the Survey results. It appears there are several owners that had the failure that have done neither of those things. Wonder how Ford is accounting for those?
"Variation in manufacturing"
Glad I got SR rwd though. I was second guessing that choice for a while.

Dnorwood98

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Carbonized Gray AWD Ext Range
Occupation
Education/Healthcare
Country flag
just submitted twice, please delete the response with the 7227 mileage that said it was an ER RWD (mine is AWD)

bosbruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
00 Boxster S,(prior M3P,Mach E,Taycan), 23 Plaid S
Country flag
The opinions and emotions about the failures around the High Voltage Battery Junction Box are running high (and it's understandably frustrating for people who have experienced it) and it's difficult to tease out the incident rate and other facts about this. There are also several running conversations about the engineering of this assembly and a lot of sleuthing going on in several threads.

I thought I'd start a new thread just for pulling facts and speculation about the issue. This isn't meant to be a place to complain about Ford, the Mustang, or anything else. There will still be opinions and speculation posted here, but it's meant to try to pull together data, facts, and the like so people who are interested can find those things in one spot.

Update:

First draft of the Google Form survey is here (your email address is not shared; I have verified this within the spreadsheet):

https://forms.gle/w5VpcyMLv8LecH3G7

If you can think of missing questions, please post on this thread, but note that once there are a lot of responses it will be difficult to add questions.

Thanks!
Thanks for doing this.. I had thought this was mostly an issue with GTs or GT PE but see that certainly isn't the case. One thing I think might help is a "typical terrain" category... Even if one drives like Miss Daisy, if they are climbing long steep hills and then long steep descents, that is extended call for significant power (from battery or to battery). Maybe too late though...

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Adding an additional poll HERE to gather feedback and try to track the failures before/after the 22S41 update as I it may add additional insight vs the pure YES/NO poll in this thread.

moparguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Miata, Mach E Select, Fusion
Country flag
Nearly 13% had issues is a big number!

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
SR RWD is still pitching a no hitter. They can't be using the same HVBJB for SR RWD and GTPE. Who's bright idea was that?

GreenCar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select
Country flag
SR RWD is still pitching a no hitter. They can't be using the same HVBJB for SR RWD and GTPE. Who's bright idea was that?
So far, has anyone sold or is willing to sell his/her MME ER AWD because of this contactors problem? If the answer is"no", it speaks volume to "success" of MME. Wondering what you all think?

bosbruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
00 Boxster S,(prior M3P,Mach E,Taycan), 23 Plaid S
Country flag
I got SR RWD because (1) it was longer range than SR AWD, and (2) ER AWD would lose the Massachusetts $2500 EV rebate so would have been around $10k more to me than SR RWD (plus I wasn't planning on keeping it for more than a year, and my Model 3 AWD+ was my performance toy). I did think about reduced weight improving handling, saving tires/suspension/ brake pad wear etc but got lucky it seems to have also reduced wear and tear on one key thing Ford didn't spec well for heavier models. That said, I did spec out my Cadillac Lyriq order with AWD because they wouldn't give me specs on 0-60 of RWD (< 4.0 for AWD is only spec apart from HP/weight) and I didn't want to get something possibly slower than my Mach E RWD as it is a lot heavier. Hope Ford finds a good solution to this issue soon that doesn't just involve detuning mach Es!

Eugene

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE
Country flag
Absolutely, there's no question this is something that's happening and that it totally sucks for the people it's happening to.

I'm a data nerd so I was hoping to create a space that can gather as much of the information as possible.
Other questions on the survey should have 1. How hard do you drive the vehicle (lead foot gage 1-5)? 2. Where do you live (Nevada desert or Alaska) climate temp?

JimmyMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
There is a very interesting comment to prof. John Kelly's video (Weber Auto) on Mach-E HVBJB contactors:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Survey: High Voltage Battery Junction Box issues? Contactors_165943 - Copy

Eugene

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE
Country flag
The opinions and emotions about the failures around the High Voltage Battery Junction Box are running high (and it's understandably frustrating for people who have experienced it) and it's difficult to tease out the incident rate and other facts about this. There are also several running conversations about the engineering of this assembly and a lot of sleuthing going on in several threads.

I thought I'd start a new thread just for pulling facts and speculation about the issue. This isn't meant to be a place to complain about Ford, the Mustang, or anything else. There will still be opinions and speculation posted here, but it's meant to try to pull together data, facts, and the like so people who are interested can find those things in one spot.

Update:

First draft of the Google Form survey is here (your email address is not shared; I have verified this within the spreadsheet):

https://forms.gle/w5VpcyMLv8LecH3G7

If you can think of missing questions, please post on this thread, but note that once there are a lot of responses it will be difficult to add questions.

Thanks!
Questions to add;
1. Vehicle mileage?
2. Vehicle built year?
3. Vehicle location (cold/hot climate, elevation, mountain terrain, etc.)?
4. Driving habits (multiple launching and accelerations, etc.)?
5. Date of failure?
Sponsored