SYNC4 -Integrated Google Maps w/EV add ons

cliophate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I was about to pipe in too - Android Auto has shown turn-by-turn on my instrument cluster since day 1, and I have a January 2021 build date (ie original software.) What kind of phone do you have? Android version?
iPhone on the latest beta, actually. Never seen it appear even once in the instrument cluster. But still stuck on PowerUp 1.4 since forever. (European)
Sponsored

Mosworthy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR
Country flag
I think this is just Apple, which, as a diehard Android user, makes me sad. But maybe it will be working by the time I actually get mine.
Works on mine....

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
iPhone on the latest beta, actually. Never seen it appear even once in the instrument cluster. But still stuck on PowerUp 1.4 since forever. (European)
iPhone gets turn by turn navigation in the instrument cluster starting with Power-Up 1.7.1, and only with Apple Maps.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
CarPlay is supposed to have EV integration with Apple Maps, but only thing that works so far is it has a menu to search for Chargers. Not sure what's going on with all of that. Mach-E was supposed to be one of the launch vehicles, still not turned on yet.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Lexus IS300 autox/track car.
Country flag
CarPlay is supposed to have EV integration with Apple Maps, but only thing that works so far is it has a menu to search for Chargers. Not sure what's going on with all of that. Mach-E was supposed to be one of the launch vehicles, still not turned on yet.
Recently I have gotten Apple Maps notifications that my battery is low and find a charger. Neither time was this true, I don’t normally use Apple Maps, and I‘m not sure how it could know range remaining anyway. ??‍♂ It happened today at the low low charge level of 89% ?

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Recently I have gotten Apple Maps notifications that my battery is low and find a charger. Neither time was this true, I don’t normally use Apple Maps, and I‘m not sure how it could know range remaining anyway. ??‍♂ It happened today at the low low charge level of 89% ?
Interesting, what's the build date of your car? It's supposed to be able to route you to EV chargers and know your charge and all that, like the internal Ford nav app works, but it's never been implemented, at least on earlier builds. Maybe it's on newer ones?

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Lexus IS300 autox/track car.
Country flag
Interesting, what's the build date of your car? It's supposed to be able to route you to EV chargers and know your charge and all that, like the internal Ford nav app works, but it's never been implemented, at least on earlier builds. Maybe it's on newer ones?
mine is an early car, Nov 20 I believe.

I hope that does eventually work because my experience with the built in nav is that it cannot be trusted. This weekend it tried to route me an hour out of the way to an EA charger when driving straight through I was going to arrive with 25% charge.

Last edited:

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
mine is an early car
Definitely a weird one, if you search around, I haven’t found anyone who has got this working, the BMW owners are especially pissed off lol

dougni

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 California Route 1 RWD Ext (Job 1)
Country flag
Going forward, Ford did mention that the entire infotainment system would be migrating to Android installed natively on the infotainment system, and this would give us a native version of Google maps which is aware of onboard available state of charge of the vehicle, and can make intelligent routing decisions to chargers on your planned route. This was not supposed to happen until 2023 if I'm not mistaken. But for now Android Auto will do what you need and works really well wirelessly.
Interesting. Where did you read/hear this? It would be awesome if we got an OTA with Google Maps and Google Assistant to Sync 4A. But considering they just added features to Ford Assistant, I don't really see this being a thing.

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
Interesting. Where did you read/hear this? It would be awesome if we got an OTA with Google Maps and Google Assistant to Sync 4A. But considering they just added features to Ford Assistant, I don't really see this being a thing.
To be clear, we are not just talking about a few Android apps coming to sync, we are talking about the entire infotainment OS moving to Android Automotive (not to be confused with Android Auto), which means Sync itself would be built from the ground up for Android Automotive.

The timeline I recall hearing was "starting in 2023" and it came up in a few interviews with leadership during the launch of the Mustang Mach-E. I can't recall where exactly I watched this, but a quick Google search turned up this article that basically says the same thing:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/1/22260176/ford-google-android-infotainment-os-2023
Sponsored