Talk me into the Mach-E

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
We ended up with an MME AWD Select by accident of our 9 year old Edge Sport having mech issues. I commute 90 miles RT per day and the MME fits our lifestyle perfectly by 240V charging at home. Likely to save $3500+ in gas a year. Nicely styled, quick and dead on steering, very useable space, comfortable, quiet, techy and the S.O. loved it. I like One Pedal.
Sponsored

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
For what it's worth, I am planning to get my next vehicle by the summer of 2022, a EV big enough for 4-5 adults that is fun and engaging to drive, but I don't plan to take it to a track or risk my license speeding. I want at least 250 miles of real-world range. I live in NY, so I get the maximum state rebate of $2,000 for cars with an MSRP of no more than $60,000 (it's $500 for more expensive vehicles). My income is enough to take full advantage of the $7,500 tax credit. I already have a Level 2 charger in my driveway, and a PHEV Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid minivan for extended road trips. I plan on keeping my next car only for 3-ish years, given how quickly EV tech is advancing.

Here's my analysis based on what's likely to be available early next year, when I'll be ordering, in the U.S.:

Teslas: Model S is amazing but dated in its design and too expensive. Model X even more expensive and fiddly. Models 3 & Y are uninteresting-looking, questionably made, and too minimalist in the controls. For all Teslas, service and parts can be hard to come by. No Federal tax credit.

VW: id.4 is cheaper, but also slow and poorly packaged (no frunk?). Future models may be better, but aren't yet for sale. Design is meh for me. Not a serious contender.

Polestar 2: I like the style and the performance, but storage is less than I'd want. Right at the top end of my price window, and leasing will lose me the federal tax credit. As with Teslas, the lack of *local* service/support, though (I live *near* New York City and its Polestar location, but that's still a pain for any issues) is a major concern.

Nissan Ariya: Too big and SUV-like for my tastes. Unknown driving experience or pricing. Not for me.

Hyundai Ioniq 5: Love the 800-volt architecture and other features, *hate* the styling. Unknown U.S. pricing, but Hyundai currently builds the federal tax credit amount into its leasing incentives, so I expect that for the Ioniq 5. Would prefer not to be a beta tester for a brand new vehicle in its first year of production (I salute you all who took the MME leap this year!).

Kia EV6: Like the Ioniq 5, the 800-volt architecture and other advances are great. Decent rear storage, but again, barely a frunk. Styling is *okay* for me, but the rear end treatment really turns me off. Pricing and availability, particularly for the GT-line and GT versions, is as yet unknown, but Kia too currently builds the federal tax credit amount into its leasing incentives, so I expect that for the EV6. Would be a beta tester (see Ioniq 5 above). No real-world reviews yet. My second choice after...

Mustang Mach-E GT: Beautiful design and sleeker than some of the competition. Excellent mix of traditional and tech-driven controls. I was planning a Premium AWD ER, but with the GT's MSRP now below that magic $60k and the range being equivalent to the Premium AWD ER, the GT is my top pick. With the problems folks have been having with the pano roof and my family members' dislike of such things anyway, being able to delete the roof while getting the full CoPilot360 suite w/BlueCruise capability (they're packaged together on the GT PE) is a plus for me. Better performance than the Premium but still on all-season tires. Magnaride shocks would be nice, but not worth the other PE tradeoffs for me. Most of all, I like my local Ford dealer and its service dept, with which I have dealt for 10+ years, including for my PHEV C-MAX Energi.

{Jonathan}
And, with a 3 year Ford Options finance, you have the choice at 3 years to love it or leave it. Your analysis sounds pretty spot on to me.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
I think the ID.4 is girlier, but my Mrs. thought it did not look nice enough. She did like the Mustang.

Either one can haul the groceries.

OP
OP

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Hi All, newly registered.

In the process of deciding which EV to pursue. Like others have test driven MY and iD4. Thought the MY's ride was too harsh for an SUV and while the iD4 rode very well, was, well...kind of boring.

Anyway, I do plan on test driving the Mach-e soon, but not looking forward to the 'dealer experience.' Also will try the Q4, but it will probably be not cost effective.

The other factor may be a change in the government sponsored incentives to purchase an EV.

My question to current Mach-e owners is how is the ride? While I like a well handling vehicle, for this purchase I prefer something that rides well and doesn't jar you over uneven roads, like here in New England. Also, from all the reviews I have read or viewed, the build quality seems very good..yes?

Thank you.
Not sure where you are located iin MA, but I test drove MME at Sarat in Agawam. I have a contactif you need it. Absolutely no pressure and instruct3ed to order from the Ford site. They do have some in stock also.

OP
OP

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Time for an update, but first, many thanks to all who responded here. Great information. We are pretty much in the same mindset as most here.

Forgot to mention that the requirements are crossover/SUV, all wheel drive, heated seats.

So we are down to the top 3 and ready to configure and compare option, pricing and financing.

Tesla Y did not make top 3 due to inability to select out of 1 pedal driving. That and the screen being the only display was hard to read as my wife needs glasses to read and not to see the road. ID4 was lacking accelleration, the A pillar seemed to be low and created a big distration/blindspot when tested. No all wheel drive until December and believe it or not, the frunk has become a big hit and the ID.4 does not have one.

Happy to say Mustang Mach E is on top of list. Second Volvo XC40 Recharge and third the Polstar 2. There are pluses and minuses for each. Some likes on the Polstar and XC40 are the infotainment system with Android and Google Asst., We run all our house with the assistant. Polstar was a little lacking initially on accelleration, The XC40 was more of a powerhouse with 400+ HP equivalent. Polstar felt more like a sedan which is not what we are going for .

It may come down to procing and payment/finance options. Have not bought a new car in over 12 years, so not sure what a normal payment is anymore.

Stay tuned, will try to do online config and comparisons this evening.

EVready

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB GLC300, BMW M240xi, Lexus RX350
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Not sure where you are located iin MA, but I test drove MME at Sarat in Agawam. I have a contactif you need it. Absolutely no pressure and instruct3ed to order from the Ford site. They do have some in stock also.
Thanks for the tip; unfortunately I am on the south shore coast...at least a couple of hours away.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Hi All, Long time Ford and Mustang owner here and in the process of researching first EV. I'll preface with this is primarily for the Mrs and will be used around town as a grocery getter. The past 3 months we have been test driving crossover/SUV EVs. I'm all set up for level 2 charging at home where the vehicle will be stored and charged. Hoping for a short term lease over buying.

Mach E was our first test drive and we also tested Model Y, Polstar 2, Volvo XC40 Recharge, VW ID.4. Any other recommendations to test drive? I'm about to start configuring online and do some more feature/financial comparisons for our top 3; Mach-E, Polstar 2 and XC40.

Just wondering if there are any other recommendations of things to look at from at existing Mach-E owners. Positives, negatives and anything inbetween...
It comes down to what you are looking for in a BEV. what are your must-haves and do looks matter. Each is great at something and each is missing something.

Most people will only DC fast charge twice a year or less. Does that matter to you?
Does more range matter?
Cargo space?
driving aspects, Speed, handling?
Most of all a vehicle is an aspect of you. Looks are to each person's taste.
And at the end of the day do you have a dollar amount or a budget?

So maybe tell everyone what matters the most to you, then people can give you some ideas. But again drive them all before you buy.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Time for an update, but first, many thanks to all who responded here. Great information. We are pretty much in the same mindset as most here.

Forgot to mention that the requirements are crossover/SUV, all wheel drive, heated seats.

So we are down to the top 3 and ready to configure and compare option, pricing and financing.

Tesla Y did not make top 3 due to inability to select out of 1 pedal driving. That and the screen being the only display was hard to read as my wife needs glasses to read and not to see the road. ID4 was lacking accelleration, the A pillar seemed to be low and created a big distration/blindspot when tested. No all wheel drive until December and believe it or not, the frunk has become a big hit and the ID.4 does not have one.

Happy to say Mustang Mach E is on top of list. Second Volvo XC40 Recharge and third the Polstar 2. There are pluses and minuses for each. Some likes on the Polstar and XC40 are the infotainment system with Android and Google Asst., We run all our house with the assistant. Polstar was a little lacking initially on accelleration, The XC40 was more of a powerhouse with 400+ HP equivalent. Polstar felt more like a sedan which is not what we are going for .

It may come down to procing and payment/finance options. Have not bought a new car in over 12 years, so not sure what a normal payment is anymore.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Talk me into the Mach-E 1627939289234

EVready

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB GLC300, BMW M240xi, Lexus RX350
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Very nice...gotta love stack ranking via spreadsheet. The only factor that I'd add is ride. When I test drove a MY I was surprised how rough it was....more like a sports car than a SUV...but that's me. Since then I have read multiple posts on how to change the coil overs...on a new car, which just feels wrong, but thats just me. YMMV.

Skelton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Volvo XC60, 2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
Polestar 2: I like the style and the performance, but storage is less than I'd want. Right at the top end of my price window, and leasing will lose me the federal tax credit. As with Teslas, the lack of *local* service/support, though (I live *near* New York City and its Polestar location, but that's still a pain for any issues) is a major concern.
I had a reservation on Polestar 2 before launch, but their message about service changed quite a bit in that time. The site currently says the only authorized service centers are Manhattan, LA, San Francisco, and San Jose.

It was very disappointing because I love the look of that car, and I know people who have one that love it. I couldn't risk needing to travel almost 800 miles for service though.

I like Android Auto as an infotainment option. I believe XC40 only picked that up this year. I've got a Volvo XC60, and I love the vehicle. Materials, build quality, and everything it feels like a real luxury car.
The XC40 is a bit of a different beast, and when I looked at it was brand new. I don't think it gives the same luxury feel, but the boxier shape does make it feel larger despite being on the same frame as the Polestar. The Recharge has good speed, but the only pain point is the 200 mile range. I'm regularly making trips around that distance, and I didn't want to be worried about it.

One thing you mentioned that's interesting... the Polestar 2 should actually be quicker than the XC40. It's close but surprising that it wouldn't feel peppy. I can definitely see you saying that it feels more like a sedan though; I agree wholeheartedly.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag

Heh,

The other day I was jamming luggage into the back of the Mustang before putting the hitch platform on to load up more stuff. My neighbor was out in his driveway and asked me "Why not just take the Explorer? It has more space, you could put all that stuff inside." "Well, we are going for 3 days, no way would I drive the Explorer for days in a row and let this car sit." Totally rational......

OP
OP

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ran some option and price comparisons for Mach E, Polstar and Volvo XC40. Thought I would compare at a 39 month lease with $2000 down payment. No 39 month optional finance option (just 36 and 48) for MME. Polstar came in considerable lower than the others. Not sure if the 7500 tax rebate is being worked into it somehow. Also considered that 7500 rebate with MME could be subtracted for the monthly MME. Liked the optional finance for MME. I'm gonna run all again at 36 months for comparison. MME delivery times on the site seem long. What is typical for recent orders placed?

Excuse any ignorance, I have not bought a new care in a decade. Was looking at a monthly payment of around $500-$600. Would need a sizeable downpayment to achieve. Would be interested what the norm is for terms and payments for lease, optional financing and regualr financing.

PS. Wife seemed dissapointed when the MME numbers can in high. I took that as she really likes it over the others. Actually said, why at least we already own a mustang.

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag

and third the Polstar 2
The Polestar 2 is not a crossover or SUV ? It's a sports sedan like the Model 3.

Have you looked at the Ioniq 5 and EV6 coming out?

OP
OP

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Polestar 2 is not a crossover or SUV ? It's a sports sedan like the Model 3.

Have you looked at the Ioniq 5 and EV6 coming out?
Yes, that is one of the dislikes.
May not fit our timeline. Initial looks into Kona did not get positive response.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Ran some option and price comparisons for Mach E, Polstar and Volvo XC40. Thought I would compare at a 39 month lease with $2000 down payment. No 39 month optional finance option (just 36 and 48) for MME. Polstar came in considerable lower than the others. Not sure if the 7500 tax rebate is being worked into it somehow. Also considered that 7500 rebate with MME could be subtracted for the monthly MME. Liked the optional finance for MME. I'm gonna run all again at 36 months for comparison. MME delivery times on the site seem long. What is typical for recent orders placed?

Excuse any ignorance, I have not bought a new care in a decade. Was looking at a monthly payment of around $500-$600. Would need a sizeable downpayment to achieve. Would be interested what the norm is for terms and payments for lease, optional financing and regualr financing.

PS. Wife seemed dissapointed when the MME numbers can in high. I took that as she really likes it over the others. Actually said, why at least we already own a mustang.
Did you calculate pricing using Ford Options? Although there is a balloon payment at the end of 3 or 4 years, it did reduce my monthly a couple of $hundred per month. Unique to Ford. Payments similar to a lease, but I kept the full $7500 tax credit.
Sponsored