Tesla charger or change to a standard Level 2 charger?

Teledatageek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford Raptor; '24 BMW X5 50e
Country flag
Hi everyone -

We have a MachE GT on order to replace our Model Y. We have a Tesla charger installed at home - it seems the adapters are pretty $$ in order to use with the MachE. Wondering if it makes sense to get something new and sell the Tesla charger vs. getting an adapter.

Also - we have a JuiceNet charger at a 2nd location and use the adapter that comes with (or used to) with Tesla's. My wife hates the thick cable of the JuiceNet vs. the much lighter, and flexible cable with the Tesla charger. If we were to change - are there any non-Tesla chargers that have a similar style of cable?

Thanks!
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
A TeslaTap or Lectron adapter will be less expensive than an entirely new EVSE. I would just keep the Brand T unit you have. šŸ˜ŠšŸ©

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
You can start with an adapter and see if it meets your needs. Iā€™ve stopped recommending the TeslaTap because the tolerances are too tight, but the Lectron adapter has been working well for me. Then youā€™ll also have the added benefit of being able to bring the adapter with you if you travel somewhere with Tesla destination chargers.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09DCTJCTV?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
You can start with an adapter and see if it meets your needs. Iā€™ve stopped recommending the TeslaTap because the tolerances are too tight, but the Lectron adapter has been working well for me. Then youā€™ll also have the added benefit of being able to bring the adapter with you if you travel somewhere with Tesla destination chargers.

Yeah, I got a 48A Lectron unit for my trip to WA state for my dog. I still havenā€™t used it yet. šŸ¤ŖšŸ©

OP
OP
Teledatageek

Teledatageek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford Raptor; '24 BMW X5 50e
Country flag

Thank you. Seems to be the winner. Good point on the Tesla destination chargers. For that amount, agree - makes sense to stay with the Tesla charger we have.

Curiosity question - when the time comes to replace that Tesla charger - are there any out there with the Tesla like smaller cable?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Curiosity question - when the time comes to replace that Tesla charger - are there any out there with the Tesla like smaller cable?
The ChargePoint Home Flex has a cable that stays flexible even when cold. I believe itā€˜s still the top rated in Tom Maloughneyā€™s freezer test.

Sponsored