Tesla-like software

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Then why have the maps at all? Does Ford not trust their system to be hands free without the maps? Is Ford's system safer with the maps than without?

In Tesla's system, there's no difference between using a weight or your hands as far as the performance of autonomous driving is concerned. Can the same be said of Ford's system without the maps?
As far as I can tell yes. Hands free mode gives less control authority to steering while hands on gives the system more and let's it handle tighter corners. At least in my experience. Note: I did not design these systems so I am just guessing.
Sponsored

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
illegal. yes, unsafe? How. If you're paying attention, and that's a you thing. When autopilot first came out, there was no eye or steering wheel torque monitoring. It was required by regulators because they don't trust the driver to do the right thing.

Let's be honest, how many of you have done illegal things in a car on a daily basis? Go over the speed limit? Drive without a front license plate even though your state requires one? Not come to a complete stop at a stop sign? turing right even though there were pedestrian still in the crosswalk, but nowhere near your car? etc. you get my drift. Using the weighted magnet is not make tesla's autopilot mechanically unsafe, as it does not change how tesla process the roads. While hacking Ford's blue cruise on non-mapped roads (is that even possible? I haven't heard of it, even so) is unsafe, but Ford's system depends on those maps for its self-driving calculations.
The ford system does not rely on GPS for self driving calcs... the system is optical. The GPS is simply a go-nogo for turning on hands free.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
The ford system does not rely on GPS for self driving calcs... the system is optical. The GPS is simply a go-nogo for turning on hands free.
Good to know. So the hack would work the same for both systems then.

OrchidMania

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Premium ER
Occupation
Retired IT, School Math Volunteer
Country flag
Any chance Ford can hire some of the twitter employees that just massively resigned.
Ford needs some more programmers!!

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
T
which other manufacturers are focused on Tesla-like software, like auto-pilot, FSD equivalent, sentry mode, all that Tesla has?

it feels like Tesla is the only one out there. i know Mach E has Blue Cruise but that's not available ROW and hence feels like a major fail.
Tesla own legal team admitted to california dot fsd is nothing more than level 2.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
T

Tesla own legal team admitted to california dot fsd is nothing more than level 2.
Level 2 encompasses a wide range. There's not much difference between 2 and 3.

having said that, that's a big difference between what Tesla's FSD can do and what the rest of the auto industry can do at the moment. FSD is way ahead of GM or Ford at this time. Even if you hate Tesla, you have to admit that.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Any chance Ford can hire some of the twitter employees that just massively resigned.
Ford needs some more programmers!!
How about just mechanical engineers. They just recalled another 600k vehicle for fire risk. That's over 2million vehicle recalled by Ford alone this year.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Level 2 encompasses a wide range. There's not much difference between 2 and 3.

having said that, that's a big difference between what Tesla's FSD can do and what the rest of the auto industry can do at the moment. FSD is way ahead of GM or Ford at this time. Even if you hate Tesla, you have to admit that.
Fsd is still not what it claims to be. It has been a cash cow for the company with the forever "soon" statement. There is a reason the label and auto pilot have been banned in Europe.

Womps

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E & 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Super
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you put a weight on the wheel the Ford will follow unmapped roads the same as it does mapped ones. It just wants your hands on the wheel
Putting a weight on the wheel does no good on the Fords. Having your hands on the wheel does no good unless you give a little resistance one way or the other every 15 seconds. I’m talking about their lane centring system which works on unmapped roads and looks for painted lines.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Fsd is still not what it claims to be. It has been a cash cow for the company with the forever "soon" statement. There is a reason the label and auto pilot have been banned in Europe.
The claim has always been "SOON, Tesla will be able to..." It was never Tesla IS be able to....

Its a parsing of words.

Either way, Tesla, with its current FSD (with all its limitations) is still way ahead of any other auto manufactures at the moment.

I never understood why people bought FSD (I don't know if Tesla every release info on what percentage of cars were bought with FSD). You can always upgrade later once it is fully release, or when you're happy with what it is capable of at the moment.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The claim has always been "SOON, Tesla will be able to..." It was never Tesla IS be able to....

Its a parsing of words.

Either way, Tesla, with its current FSD (with all its limitations) is still way ahead of any other auto manufactures at the moment.

I never understood why people bought FSD (I don't know if Tesla every release info on what percentage of cars were bought with FSD). You can always upgrade later once it is fully release, or when you're happy with what it is capable of at the moment.
People bought fsd due to the hype and statrment from Tesla it is going to cost you more later.
As for being ahead? No independent tests exist to back such statements.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
People bought fsd due to the hype and statrment from Tesla it is going to cost you more later.
As for being ahead? No independent tests exist to back such statements.
There are no independent test because there are no other widely release systems that can do what FSD does.

I don't know of any systems on a mainstream car that can make turns on city streets. Do you?

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Al argo was self driving in Pittsburgh, pa but with a person in the driver's seat. Same company was doing the same in Florida and Texas. Photos exist of such.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How about just mechanical engineers. They just recalled another 600k vehicle for fire risk. That's over 2million vehicle recalled by Ford alone this year.
Tesla recalled 475, 000 vehicles in Decrmber 2021. Another 321 000 in November 2022. That is nearly 800 000 in one year.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Tesla recalled 475, 000 vehicles in Decrmber 2021. Another 321 000 in November 2022. That is nearly 800 000 in one year.
The "recalls" are software bugs that were fixed by OTA even before the customers were notified. Most of the recalls did not require a visit to the service center.

How many recalls did Ford have in 2022? Were those recall addressed correctly?
Sponsored