ID.4 software issues make Mach-E seem like a dream!

stevec73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
I know that most people here understand that there's a lot of negativity on these forums about our beloved Mach-E because this is a great place to look for solutions. Here's an amazing video from a popular influencer who owns one of the first ID.4s in the USA, bemoaning the massive pile of software issues that have plagued his ownership experience. Makes Mach-E ownership seem downright futuristic!

Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Sounds like a disaster.

One of the biggest problems I have with the MME Sync system is the lag when starting up the car. A few days ago I got an OTA that has greatly eliminated the lag. It is so much better. While there is a little lag, it is much more tolerable. Much.

I can't image how frustrated I would be with the ID4 start up lag. Wow.

bbulkow

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV, Porsche Cayman S
Country flag
I know that most people here understand that there's a lot of negativity on these forums about our beloved Mach-E because this is a great place to look for solutions. Here's an amazing video from a popular influencer who owns one of the first ID.4s in the USA, bemoaning the massive pile of software issues that have plagued his ownership experience. Makes Mach-E ownership seem downright futuristic!
as someone who had loan on a Model 3 when tesla pushed the 'phantom braking' update that caused cars to slam on the bakes in an uncrowded freeway, (i have a low safety threshold but that shit was nuts) i hearby promise to be satisfied with one or two updates a year.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
yes, all true. But it's just fine as a mommy soccer car if you set your expectations accordingly low. Very low.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Yeah, I did think Ford was bad. Holy crap not even close. At least Ford has fixed a lot of the issues. I mean the MME is leaps and bounds better than my FE was when I originally picked it up. It's finally to the point of how it should have originally shipped. Versus the ID.4 isn't even close...

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Yeah, I did think Ford was bad. Holy crap not even close. At least Ford has fixed a lot of the issues. I mean the MME is leaps and bounds better than my FE was when I originally picked it up. It's finally to the point of how it should have originally shipped. Versus the ID.4 isn't even close...
I agree, all the quirks have been mostly ironed out and 99% was without dealer intervention. It's working for most folks.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just watched the video, I was convinced this was Nick Kroll doing a character at first haha

OP
OP
stevec73

stevec73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
was bad. Holy crap not even close. At least Ford has fixed a lot of the issues. I mean the MME is leaps and bounds better than my FE was when I originally picked it up. It's finally to the point of how
That was the reason I posted. I welcome all EVs. They're generally great. Just wanted to remind folks that the Mach-E (and all other EVs) are not defined by the problems we (as early adopters) experience. All cars have issues. My car before the Mach-E was a Honda Insight (2019) that had MANY issues at delivery but ended up being one of the best cars I've ever owned once they were resolved.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Remind me again which car Blippi'd itself?
The ID.4 sits at home and doesn't go on roadtrips. It drives me crazy with the CarPlay disconnects, turning itself off if you move your rear end to turn behind you because the rear camera is so bad, and did I mention it only has 2 window switches for the driver for 4 windows.

I will say it has been rock-solid reliable for us in 17k miles of mommy suburban duty! With Blippi playing.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The ID.4 sits at home and doesn't go on roadtrips. It drives me crazy with the CarPlay disconnects, turning itself off if you move your rear end to turn behind you because the rear camera is so bad, and did I mention it only has 2 window switches for the driver for 4 windows.

I will say it has been rock-solid reliable for us in 17k miles of mommy suburban duty! With Blippi playing.
It was an option for us but the dated infotainment and lack of frunk were deal breakers.

metalpro2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e 1st edition
Occupation
Software architect
Country flag
This resonates as a European MME FE owner, so I feel I am in the same boat as this guy. OTA is behind (was long not existing) and problems are fixed already in the home market. I know most issues he mentioned are already fixed in Germany/EU, but he/the dealers are unable to deploy them in the US. Same goes for MME owners in Europe.

CB1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I test drove an ID.4 and Mach E a year ago. I was 95% sure I was going to get the ID.4 before the test drives (lower price, they seemed mostly equivalent, and I had never bought a Ford). I heard there were some software quirks but I generally can work around that sort of stuff just fine. Then the alarm bells went off when I could not even figure out how to turn on or change the radio or the temperature on the ID.4. Whereas the Mach E I had no issues at all and seemed so intuitive when I drove it. Put down my Mach E deposit that day.

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
I test drove an ID.4 and Mach E a year ago. I was 95% sure I was going to get the ID.4 before the test drives (lower price, they seemed mostly equivalent, and I had never bought a Ford). I heard there were some software quirks but I generally can work around that sort of stuff just fine. Then the alarm bells went off when I could not even figure out how to turn on or change the radio or the temperature on the ID.4. Whereas the Mach E I had no issues at all and seemed so intuitive when I drove it. Put down my Mach E deposit that day.
I went to test drive the VW with high hopes as well. I had to YouTube to find the “On” button. Lol. Then I had to YouTube again to find out how to put it in “Park”. Haha! I never did figure out climate control setting. Not intuitive. I’m glad I test drove the MME first, and picked up the whole Family for a drive. I showed up at the house, and not a soul was interested in the iD4 anymore. “Get the Mustang!” they said.

MW1515

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
Just watched the video, I was convinced this was Nick Kroll doing a character at first haha
Haha! His new Netflix special is so good, just watched it last night!
Sponsored