Tesla Supercharging with CCS

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Looks like the first step in opening up the Tesla supercharger network to other EVs.

https://electrek.co/2021/12/23/tesla-applies-install-supercharger-stations-texas-ccs-connectors/
This article suggests they could build a station with 10 chargers and have 5 of them Tesla proprietary and 5 that offer CCS and still qualify for the grant money.
I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla followed this strategy because they would retain dedicated chargers as a perk for Tesla owners.

Hopefully other states/jurisdictions will only be giving Tesla grant money if all the chargers in a station are CCS.

OP
OP

MachEZRt1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME CRT1 AWD (Ordered), 21 MME SR Select
Country flag
This article suggests they could build a station with 10 chargers and have 5 of them Tesla proprietary and 5 that offer CCS and still qualify for the grant money.
I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla followed this strategy because they would retain dedicated chargers as a perk for Tesla owners.

Hopefully other states/jurisdictions will only be giving Tesla grant money if all the chargers in a station are CCS.
I agree. Especially when the CCS to Tesla Adapter comes. Tesla owners would still be at an advantage to use the Tesla proprietary connectors and have the ability to charge using CCS.

https://electrek.co/2021/10/08/tesla-ccs-adapter-finally-coming/

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
They could also dual cable some like EA does.
If only *some* of the chargers have CCS cables, the Tesla owners could game the system by pulling into the CCS spots first.
You could arrive at a station to find the CCS all filled by Teslas, but still available proprietary chargers.

OP
OP

MachEZRt1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME CRT1 AWD (Ordered), 21 MME SR Select
Country flag
If only *some* of the chargers have CCS cables, the Tesla owners could game the system by pulling into the CCS spots first.
You could arrive at a station to find the CCS all filled by Teslas, but still available proprietary chargers.
I’d be interested to see if some states give Tesla tax breaks if they retrofit existing stations to be 50/50 CCS/Tesla chargers, in which case adding CCS cables would probably be the easiest.

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
That would be a real Richard move.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
That would be a real Richard move.
Yes, which would be consistent with what I have learned about Tesla owners over the last 10 months. I've seen plenty of Teslas blocking (aka "ICEing") L2 and even CCS chargers. I even watched a "Tesla bro" (he was wearing his tight Tesla T-shirt at the time) pull into a CCS spot and start to walk away. At first he tried to lie his way through it, and then he copped an attitude and insisted I had to "ask him nicely" to move.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
It may surprise you but I have seen genuine Tesla destination chargers with J1772, these are in places like MT Rushmore and some other government facilities. Goes to show make regulation and companies will comply.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
It may surprise you but I have seen genuine Tesla destination chargers with J1772, these are in places like MT Rushmore and some other government facilities. Goes to show make regulation and companies will comply.
Not surprising at all. Tesla has been selling J1772 destination chargers to commercial customers for years. They started selling them directly to consumers more recently.
Sponsored