Test drive disappointments

RonG

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade, 2018 MB GLC AMG 43. Previously owned Mustangs: 1965 hardtop, 1967 Fastback, 1966 Fastback
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well, my wife and I had an opportunity to test drive the MME today; the First Edition version. I have been looking forward to test driving one for quite some time and must admit I was a little disappointed. 2 concerns; I was disappointed in the ride. I found it quite rough and choppy. It felt like it had a back and forth motion. I checked the tire pressure settings and they all showed 42 PSI. I believe that is correct. I'm not sure if lowering the PSI to 35 PSI would help. The 2nd concern was the sound system. We adjusted the sound settings, giving it maximum bass and some mid-range and treble and it was set to "surround sound" but was still disappointing. Not enough bass for our liking.

Now I must admit, I am comparing it to my 2018 Mercedes-benz GLC43 AMG which has the 4 corner air suspension. I have always felt that the MB felt a bit floaty, but it is much smoother than the MME. Not at all choppy, plus the MB has about a 4" shorter wheel base. And the sound system is better, altho not by much. My wife drives a 2020 Hyundai Palisade and the sound system in it is far superior, even tho it is a less expensive vehicle.

The upcoming GT will have the Magneride suspension. Would that be any smoother, or even worse being it is on a performance vehicle and with 20" lower profile tires?

I'm interested in other test drive observations.
Sponsored

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
The MB will ride much better than the Mach E with the air suspension. I also noticed that out BMW X7 rides much nicer than the Mach E, but the Mach E has a good ride for other competitive vehicles. The Stereo is pretty good for a standard audio system, but again not a match for upgrade systems in lux cars.

Reactions: ARK

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
The MB will ride much better than the Mach E with the air suspension. I also noticed that out BMW X7 rides much nicer than the Mach E, but the Mach E has a good ride for other competitive vehicles. The Stereo is pretty good for a standard audio system, but again not a match for upgrade systems in lux cars.
Isn't the ride part of the "Mustang"? A more sporty ride than a smooth floaty ride.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Isn't the ride part of the "Mustang"? A more sporty ride than a smooth floaty ride.
Probably. I'd rather it were more smooth and floaty too. I find that it is at high speed. Goes over bumps well at speed. But at low/medium speed, it's rather ordinary. On par with our Escape. Not bad but kinda average.

But it corners like a dream. Might need to be firmer for that?

Last edited:

JDRGolfer1

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Country flag
I'm not sure comparing the Mach E to a $70k-80k+ ICE vehicle is appropriate, that's like comparing it to a $100k BEV, not appropriate. In regards to the sound system, I think the sound is pretty nice, maybe your settings weren't adjusted properly. I've tested and heard the top of the line Palisade and would disagree that it is far superior to the Mach E, or superior at all for that matter. This may not be the vehicle for you, might want to look at the Porsche Taycan, might be more up your alley.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Now I must admit, I am comparing it to my 2018 Mercedes-benz GLC43 AMG
Mercedes makes some excellent vehicles. If you are planning to switch from a GLC43 AMG and aren't particularly into Mustangs, I think you might be happier in either an Audi E-Tron or Jaguar I-Pace because of the luxury factor.

One small example - like most Jaguars, the Mach-E has a rotary shifter. A family member has a Jaguar XF, and the rotary shifter on it has heft, it is made out of metal. The Mach-E’s on the other hand, while not bad, is made from plastic. It isn’t the same. The XF’s rotary shifter simply feels better.

But at the price point of a Ford vs a Jaguar, I don’t expect things like this to be the same. A comparable ICE Jaguar, to state what is plain, costs substantially more than a similar Ford.

My two cents is if you have an AMG Mercedes now, I think you may be happier in an optioned out Jaguar or Audi electric because at the end of the day, the Mach-E will not be competing with an E-Tron or I-Pace on luxury. An entry level offering from those automakers perhaps, but a GLC43 AMG is far from entry level.

Dr Obnxs

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drobnxs.com
Vehicles
21 MME, 65 Mustang Too Many to List!
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
There is no best ride.

For a tracked car, low profile sticky tires, stiff springs etc are fine, even best.

On a street car, even a street sports car, this will lead to lack of comfort and poor handling on rough surfaces.

In general, the magnaride will make ride much better as it has real time control of stiffness. Soft at low speed or on rough surfaces, firmer on smooth and at speed..

The things that most affect ride quality that are easy to modify are tire/wheel choice, then shock/springs/swaybars and lastly chassis stiffness.

Airbag suspension can be tuned any way you want, and adds the ability to load level and/or ride height adjust.

As a physicist and a "signal integrity" guy, if you're cranking up the bass to full it's not about music, it's about sound impact. Bass takes high instantaneous power otherwise it just distorts. Set all the tone controls to flat and listen to what the artist intended. But if you just have to have that booming bass, maybe aftermarket amps?

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
There is no best ride.

For a tracked car, low profile sticky tires, stiff springs etc are fine, even best.

On a street car, even a street sports car, this will lead to lack of comfort and poor handling on rough surfaces.

In general, the magnaride will make ride much better as it has real time control of stiffness. Soft at low speed or on rough surfaces, firmer on smooth and at speed..

The things that most affect ride quality that are easy to modify are tire/wheel choice, then shock/springs/swaybars and lastly chassis stiffness.

Airbag suspension can be tuned any way you want, and adds the ability to load level and/or ride height adjust.

As a physicist and a "signal integrity" guy, if you're cranking up the bass to full it's not about music, it's about sound impact. Bass takes high instantaneous power otherwise it just distorts. Set all the tone controls to flat and listen to what the artist intended. But if you just have to have that booming bass, maybe aftermarket amps?
Right. So what I'm trying to say, is some people buying a Mach-e (non GT) want it do drive sporty like a Mustang, others want it to be smooth like their luxury car they are used to. Its a matter of finding balance that most people will be happy with....or spending more money on something adjustable with the magnaride.

Space Ghost GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GLE 450, space white GT received 11/04/22
Occupation
Nerd
Country flag
I'm not sure comparing the Mach E to a $70k-80k+ ICE vehicle is appropriate, that's like comparing it to a $100k BEV, not appropriate. In regards to the sound system, I think the sound is pretty nice, maybe your settings weren't adjusted properly. I've tested and heard the top of the line Palisade and would disagree that it is far superior to the Mach E, or superior at all for that matter. This may not be the vehicle for you, might want to look at the Porsche Taycan, might be more up your alley.
I’m sorry but being into audio, the sound system in the Mach e is simply awful. It had zero dynamics nor mid and bass response. The sound system in my old civic Si blows this B&O system out of the water. There’s a tear down and replacement thread on the forum and you can see that for your self what a joke that transducers are. Especially the midrange/bass drivers in the doors. Those drivers would cost under 10 dollars. The magnet is pathetic. Not a Tesla fan but test drive one and you’ll see what a difference there is in the sound system and the cars are the same price. So no you don’t need to buy a Porsche to get a good stereo.
Sponsored