circatee

First Name
circatee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Ford
Country flag
Been working with a Dealer, for a few weeks, on the possibility of purchasing a Mustang Mach-E.

Since I had a bit of time this evening, I went and test drove one. It was a Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD, with extended battery. Honestly, I am not 100% sold, just yet.

Currently, I drive a Ford Edge ST. And, I feel the cabin in particular, the driver seat area, is comfortable and larger than in the Mach-E. I will add, I adjusted the seat to have it all the way back. But, neglected to a adjust the seat up/down or tilt it. That may have something to do with why I did not feel totally comfortable.

For 10 minutes, I drove the Mach-E, in 'unbridled' mode. The thing moves, no question. Braking felt weird, but, more than likely one will adjust to it over repetitive use.

Not sure exactly what I was expected. Maybe, I was looking for a "Wow, got to purchase this today" type of feel. But, it was not there. When I purchased my 2018 Mustang GT Premium PP1, that was the feeling I got. Today, not so much.

Anyone else with test driving experience?

PS: First electric car/SUV I have been in, let alone driven.
Sponsored

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Been working with a Dealer, for a few weeks, on the possibility of purchasing a Mustang Mach-E.

Since I had a bit of time this evening, I went and test drove one. It was a Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD, with extended battery. Honestly, I am not 100% sold, just yet.

Currently, I drive a Ford Edge ST. And, I feel the cabin in particular, the driver seat area, is comfortable and larger than in the Mach-E. I will add, I adjusted the seat to have it all the way back. But, neglected to a adjust the seat up/down or tilt it. That may have something to do with why I did not feel totally comfortable.

For 10 minutes, I drove the Mach-E, in 'unbridled' mode. The thing moves, no question. Braking felt weird, but, more than likely one will adjust to it over repetitive use.

Not sure exactly what I was expected. Maybe, I was looking for a "Wow, got to purchase this today" type of feel. But, it was not there. When I purchased my 2018 Mustang GT Premium PP1, that was the feeling I got. Today, not so much.

Me and my Wife did 1500 miles of test driving! The more we drove it the more we liked it!!

praxiscat

First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Yeah I test drove a Mach-E, and a Tesla Model Y. The more I thought about the Mustang Mach E, the more I liked about it. It was not an immediately fall in love thing either. It was more a gradual consideration thing that grew and grew. Now that I own it, I absolutely love it. I have a premium AWD extended range.

jennq

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S/3/Y, Mach e GTP, Canoo/Lightning/R1S Resy
Country flag
We have 3 Teslas, and I test drive the MME every week for about an hour and love it! I can't wait for my GT, whenever it gets here

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 4X, ā€˜14 SS Sedan tuned, ā€˜17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag

We did an overnight test drive of our dealerā€™s Premium 4X (FE) loaner. Coming from an Edge ST, and GT PP1 the acceleration isnā€™t going to have you awestruck, however, it is very quick out of the hole ( I got 4.8-5.0s to 60 on my dragy) and the passing times are eye opening. My car runs 4.1s to 60 and 1/4 mile in 12.2s@116mph and the passing times of the Mach E are very similar, even if the top end is not even close. Additionally, my wife has a ā€˜17 Pilot which is no slouch in itā€™s class and the 4X just flat embarrasses it. However, it is the steering, damper tuning, and overall neutral handling that won me over ( I track my car and am really attuned to these traits ). Aside from being an EV, of course. We ordered ours on 5/21/21 ( est. build date 8/22/21 ) and luckily Ford had just made summer tires an option for $250, we gladly checked that box being that we live in CenTX.

Iā€™m 6ā€™3ā€ and was able to fit with legroom to spare behind the driverā€™s seat with it adjusted for me, additionally, I had headroom to spare - thanks pano roof ??.

Weā€™re looking forward to the Mach E in our garage with a low miles GT350 to follow within a year or so.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I do see some people buying this car as a novelty item. It's flashy, new, and different, but after that wears off would you still be happy with it? That's what you should base your decision on.

It's my opinion that people should not impulse buy electric cars just because they see other people doing it or because it's new, trendy, etc. That's potentially going to lead to dissatisfaction after the newness wears off and the realities of range and charging set in (especially if they don't have 240V in their garage for it). I think that's why we're seeing a lot of used Mach-E's show up in some places after people change their mind.

I've been waiting for the first clean-sheet electric Ford vehicle for a long time, electrical rough-in added when house was built years ago, etc. No way I'd be spending the money unless I was 100% committed to making the switch. Likewise I think people should have had the idea of buying electric floating around in their head for a few years before they are a good candidate to buy one.

If you're not loving it right away, I would say pass and give someone else the opportunity to buy it.

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag

Test drove it twice, same starting point as you. Once was 15 minutes with a salesperson, the other time they tossed the keys and said "go put some miles on it so we can sell it at 2K".

I liked several things
  • Punching the gas as you turned and the rear-end would kick out.
  • It was comfortable.
  • It was quiet.
  • It was fast.
  • It handled just fine.
I wasn't overwhelmed by
  1. The braking was weird, especially at low speeds.
  2. Car was heavy and wanted to stop, even when not in 1-pedal, and going down hill.
  3. Wasn't a big fan of the sound system, not that it would really matter with my hearing.
  4. I didn't really like the lane centering but I barely tested it so sort of a toss up there.
There were some other things that I don't really remember, but I had kind of the same feeling. I can still see buying one, in fact I kind of still expect to, once everything settles down, but the second drive made it easier to wait.

I do, however, just based on that one drive several months ago, punch the gas in turns just because of that feeling. It was very addicting.

CompilerBreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT
Country flag
Despite the price, you're not really getting a luxury vehicle, that money is really going to the battery etc so I've always considered it more "pre-paying" for the long term fuel costs. Edge in particular I feel was really designed well around the driver/passengers, wider, more legroom, etc so it is hard to compare the two unless you're dead set on switching to electric. But with the Mach E, you're not really getting a great utility vehicle either with the lack of towing and roof racks (at the moment). A proper electric Edge or larger sized something will come eventually if you're not in a rush.

Now that said, I enjoyed my short test drive, but went with a GT (which all signs point to better handling characteristics), to replace my v8 GT which just doesn't work with a kid and a dog these days :p Also I'm very much looking forward to being able to have fun with this without worrying about getting under 15mpg @ $4+ a gallon. We have another suv that we're keeping, so I don't need the utility aspects.

OP
OP
circatee

circatee

First Name
circatee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Ford
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

The car has 1500+ miles on it, too. What I find odd is, with so many locations not having stock of the Mach-E, why is this one on the lot? Hmm...

Well, besides the $5K over MSRP (if I did the purchased that would be resolved) still wondering why it is on the lot.

Interesting...

Pibbman

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I do see some people buying this car as a novelty item. It's flashy, new, and different, but after that wears off would you still be happy with it? That's what you should base your decision on.

It's my opinion that people should not impulse buy electric cars just because they see other people doing it or because it's new, trendy, etc. That's potentially going to lead to dissatisfaction after the newness wears off and the realities of range and charging set in (especially if they don't have 240V in their garage for it). I think that's why we're seeing a lot of used Mach-E's show up in some places after people change their mind.

I've been waiting for the first clean-sheet electric Ford vehicle for a long time, electrical rough-in added when house was built years ago, etc. No way I'd be spending the money unless I was 100% committed to making the switch. Likewise I think people should have had the idea of buying electric floating around in their head for a few years before they are a good candidate to buy one.

If you're not loving it right away, I would say pass and give someone else the opportunity to buy it.
There are definitely people who have bought EVs without fully thinking it through. I saw one dude in PlugShare that would like religiously tag himself in every time he stopped at a particular fast charger, and it was somewhat often. The very last on the postedā€¦

ā€œThis is my last charge as Iā€™m trading this bolt in. The charging infrastructure just isnā€™t here yetā€

there is some truth to it here in Wisconsin, but it was obvious this guy didnā€™t have a 240v at home charger. I got mine before my L2 charger was installed at home and it got old fairly quick running to that fast charger, but I already knew I would be needing that home charger.

Pibbman

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

There are definitely people who have bought EVs without fully thinking it through. I saw one dude in PlugShare that would like religiously tag himself in every time he stopped at a particular fast charger, and it was somewhat often. The very last one he postedā€¦

ā€œThis is my last charge as Iā€™m trading this bolt in. The charging infrastructure just isnā€™t here yetā€

there is some truth to it here in Wisconsin, but it was obvious this guy didnā€™t have a 240v at home charger. I got mine before my L2 charger was installed at home and it got old fairly quick running to that fast charger, but I already knew I would be needing that home charger. Just that everyone and their grandma around here has work that needs to be done.

OP
OP
circatee

circatee

First Name
circatee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Ford
Country flag
The Mach-E I test drove, has been sold.
Last night, as I parked the Mach-E, a gentlemen walked up to it, and was looking it over. He ended up purchasing the car.

I wanted to test drive it again. Well, clearly it was not meant to be...

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
The Mach-E I test drove, has been sold.
Last night, as I parked the Mach-E, a gentlemen walked up to it, and was looking it over. He ended up purchasing the car.

I wanted to test drive it again. Well, clearly it was not meant to be...
We were fortunate to have a Dealer Demo MME for as long as we did! The party came to an end after we got it up over 2k miles but it was great while it lasted!!

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
I was looking for a "Wow, got to purchase this today" type of feel.
It's best to avoid that feeling. It's just a car.

I think it's a nice car, but still, it's just a car.

MachEnation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black Bottom Barrel Base
Country flag
I realize weā€™re just talking about a car here, but itā€™s also an expensive purchase. You SHOULD have at least some interest/satisfaction with it, just like you would a house, a boat, or any other big expense.
Sponsored