The ICTVillain

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt, Accord, NsX, Oddysey
Country flag
I owned a 2011 Volt which the family outgrew with child number 3!

I traded the Volt for a 2018 Honda Accord Sport with 6MT - great car, but I have missed the Volt and avoidance of gas stations.

I have driven a 2017 Bolt Premier. I personally liked it a lot, but I would miss Adaptive Cruise Control and the family doesn’t like the looks/size (the back seat of the 2018 Accord is huge).

Yesterday I drove a Ford Mach E (premium, standard range, RWD). The car is great looking, feels premium, and feels a little bigger than a Bolt (back seat). I did the test drive at night so it was overwhelming trying to get my head wrapped around whether I liked it or not.

I love a big display as much as the next guy, but there are a number of use-cases where a dial or switch, that never disappears, goes a long way (Climate, One Pedal Driving, Drive Mode Selections, Radio Tuning should always be available). As someone with Program Management in Aviation background - I have learned the hard way that you should never remove a tactile switch if the vehicle isn’t smart enough to fully automate the correct selections.

Other thoughts:

Smooth and powerful acceleration even in this lowest powered version!

Comfortable seats!

Quiet overall ride!

I had a hell of a time finding the same menu twice (simple stuff was consistently elusive). I know this would get better after a few drives, but sometimes the large screen is negative...

Adaptive cruise control works well - especially the intelligent cruise control function. With that stated - it waits until the last couple of feet to make a full stop.

Lane keep assist works for longer than my Accord and without barking at me to steer despite having my hand on the wheel (In Kansas the streets are straight as an arrow so you can have your hands on the wheel, driving straight down the road, but the system still barks at you because the driver doesn’t need to make adjustments). With that stated, the Accord is much smoother when it comes to steering - the steering wheel doesn’t move much or more than I think it should. The Ford steering wheel was constantly adjusting (maybe the Kansas wind was a factor). It made me feel a little nauseous.

The transition from cruise control, to coast, to braking was not refined. Maybe additional time “in the seat” driving would help, but it was a little concerning when considering making a long term purchase commitment. I would utilize cruise control, turn on the turn signal for a turn, Cruise would disengage leading to what felt like a “uncommanded surge in acceleration” which required me to unexpectedly apply brakes instead of coasting...then the the brakes were really hard engage smoothly. The whole situation felt half-baked.

Carplay worked flawlessly.

Wirelss charging pad was awesome.

The propulsion sound did not work in any drive mode.

On the fence on whether to pull the trigger - the family did like the Mach E so this is a real option. I really think I want the extended range, but I can get by 99% of the time with 230 @80% range.
Sponsored

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Just as an aside, propulsion sounds are a slider option (off or on) in the same window where you select driving mode: whisper, engage, or unbridled. Those modes also change steering and acceleration sensitivity.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
The back seat in the Volt is borderline unusable. Easy to see how that would be an issue. The Volt was a breakthrough vehicle but the MME is in an entirely different class. It's bigger, faster, with a much longer wheelbase.

Adaptive cruise and lane keep assist are just an appetizer for the hands free driving mode coming in the fall.

I wouldn't worry too much about the interface stuff. That always takes a while to go through and get used to. I'd include the cruise experience in that. I suspect if you had one pedal driving engaged you wouldn't see regen kicking out.

OP
OP

The ICTVillain

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just as an aside, propulsion sounds are a slider option (off or on) in the same window where you select driving mode: whisper, engage, or unbridled. Those modes also change steering and acceleration sensitivity.
I found the slider. It would turn on for about two seconds and then shut off. I saw that TFL had the same glitch.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Where did you test drive a MME in ICT?! Rusty Eck says they haven’t gotten theirs yet. Mel Hambelton?

I’m in ICT, too.

OP
OP

The ICTVillain

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Where did you test drive a MME in ICT?! Rusty Eck says they haven’t gotten theirs yet. Mel Hambelton?

I’m in ICT, too.
Mel Hambelton. There are three in Salina...
Actually quite a few within 200 miles.

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
On the fence on whether to pull the trigger - the family did like the Mach E so this is a real option. I really think I want the extended range, but I can get by 99% of the time with 230 @80% range.
If you have a second car, just get the SR. You can use the other car for the 1% when you need it.

jksu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium STD RWD Shadow Black
Country flag
appreciate the review. i have the same car ordered (STD RWD Premium). appreciate the comparisons to your bolt and accord.

we have a lot of hondas. mother-in-law who lives with us has an accord. father and sister-in-law drive CRVs, my wife a honda fit. our family also has an odyssey. great cars. well put together, in general, with smooth drivetrains and decently composed and comfortable suspensions.

but i do feel my 2008 volvo's "dumb" cruise control is much smoother than the 2011 honda odyssey's "dumb" cruise control both initiating and as i adjust the speed up and down. but i admit i haven't tried really tried it much in the 2016 honda accord's cruise and used it once on my wife's 2018 honda fit which has adaptive cruise.

but i do look forward to trying these new fancy cruise controls for longer weekend trips/drives in the mach-e.

OP
OP

The ICTVillain

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Pulled the trigger! Took the Mach E home tonight!

Not sure if they completed software updates, but it seemed to drive smoother (maybe I adjusted already) and things that weren’t working such as propulsion sound seemed good to go.

After a little confusion (user error) - I was able to set up phone as a key and it appears to work... fingers crossed!

OP
OP

The ICTVillain

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Anybody know how to declutter the gauge cluster?

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Pulled the trigger! Took the Mach E home tonight!

Not sure if they completed software updates, but it seemed to drive smoother (maybe I adjusted already) and things that weren’t working such as propulsion sound seemed good to go.

After a little confusion (user error) - I was able to set up phone as a key and it appears to work... fingers crossed!
Happy to hear things are working as intended after taking delivery. It was probably still in either transport mode, or they hadn't completed all of the pre-delivery things when you test drove it.

OP
OP

The ICTVillain

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Happy to hear things are working as intended after taking delivery. It was probably still in either transport mode, or they hadn't completed all of the pre-delivery things when you test drove it.
I agree. The transport mode would make a lot of sense...
Sponsored