Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 4X, ā€˜14 SS Sedan tuned, ā€˜17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
The tires on the Limited AWD (top trim) are P255/45R20. The tires on all of the other trims and configs are P235/55R19.

The wider and larger tires hurt range badly (303 to 256). With battery size that is sub-80 kWh and mediocre efficiency - the range isn't great.

However... my Mach-E still not in production and there are dozens of Ioniq 5s at my dealer (38!) so I might just snag one and drive it for 4 months.
But the 303 mile epa rating is for the rwd 77kwh battery model, not the awd, right?The 255/45-20s arenā€™t sacrificing 47 miles by themselves.
Sponsored

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
But the 303 mile epa rating is for the rwd 77kwh battery model, not the awd, right?The 255/45-20s arenā€™t sacrificing 47 miles by themselves.
Right.

Folks think they can get 303 miles for the AWD trim by using "eco" model that disables and disconnects the front motor (so the car is RWD only) but so far that hasn't been proven to be true.

To range drop from 19" to 20" is documented in WLTP numbers:

https://insideevs.com/news/506073/hyundai-ioniq-5-prices-specifications/

• 72.6 kWh, RWD
    • Premium trim (19"):
      300 miles (483 km) WLTP and 16.8 kWh / 100 km
      428 miles (689 km) WLTP City and 11.8 kWh / 100 km
    • Ultimate trim (20"):
      281 miles (452 km) WLTP and 17.9 kWh / 100 km
      403 miles (648 km) WLTP City and 12.5 kWh / 100 km
  • 72.6 kWh, AWD
    • Premium trim (19"):
      287 miles (462 km) WLTP and 17.7 kWh / 100 km
      400 miles (644 km) WLTP City and 12.8 kWh / 100 km
    • Ultimate trim (20"):
      268 miles (431 km) WLTP and 19.0 kWh / 100 km
      371 miles (597 km) WLTP City and 13.8 kWh / 100 km

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Just remember, low rolling resistance tires sacrifice precious grip. Stopping distances of some models as tested by Tire Rack can be 10-30Ft worse than their comparable standard tires. The 1-5% gain in range just isnā€™t worth that much of a sacrifice in a critical area imo. I know tire compound tech has made great strides but, it ainā€™t there yet.
I imported a set from Europe, they are years ahead of the tire tech available in the USA. The tires are not ev spicific but about 2-4% more efficient than the factory Mach E tires. The sacrifice is they are summer only. When it comes to LRR it does not necessarily equate to lower grip.

I attached a copy of the European label. I wish we had this system here is the USA. The system makes it much easier to compare tire vs tire. The factory Michelin tires are something like C effectively D wet performance. The tires I bought are B effectively A wet weather

I did not buy Continental tires this is simply an example of the label
url.jpg

Last edited:

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
I imported a set from Europe, they are years ahead of the tire tech available in the USA. The tires are not ev spicific but about 2-4% more efficient than the factory Mach E tires. The sacrifice is they are summer only. When it comes to LRR it does not necessarily equate to lower grip.

I attached a copy of the European label. I wish we had this system here is the USA. The system makes it much easier to compare tire vs tire. The factory Michelin tires are something like C effectively D wet performance. The tires I bought are B effectively A wet weather

I did not buy Continental tires this is simply an example of the label
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tested Ioniq 5 url
Brian, What tires did you get from Europe and how did you acquire them? And how's the grip on them? Thanks.

Sam James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 ID.4, 11 Escape, 22 Lightning (?), 22 MME (?)
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
The tires on the Limited AWD (top trim) are P255/45R20. The tires on all of the other trims and configs are P235/55R19.

The wider and larger tires hurt range badly (303 to 256). With battery size that is sub-80 kWh and mediocre efficiency - the range isn't great.

However... my Mach-E still not in production and there are dozens of Ioniq 5s at my dealer (38!) so I might just snag one and drive it for 4 months.
38?! We reserved one in IL and haven't heard from the dealer. Kind of okay about that... I think my wife would rather keep the ID.4 and my priorities are Lightning > MME > R1T > Ioniq 5.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
38?! We reserved one in IL and haven't heard from the dealer. Kind of okay about that... I think my wife would rather keep the ID.4 and my priorities are Lightning > MME > R1T > Ioniq 5.
Yeah, when I test drove the Limited on Sunday they had 10 other SEs and SELs on the lot. I brought a friend who was looking to buy an EV and we checked out a few. Dealer said they were getting 60 in the next month.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Brian, What tires did you get from Europe and how did you acquire them? And how's the grip on them? Thanks.
This is what I got Vredestein Ultrac 225/60/18 104w. Its a new model released in December so I have not driven on them yet.

https://www.vredestein.co.uk/car-suv-van/tyre-finder/tyres/product/1/225/60/18/1848-ultrac

I work for Vredestein so I had them brought in with our last shipment. Here in MN so its winter conditions right now and these are UHP Summer tires so they wont be installed until may or so. Keep you posted

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
Sat in one today. Like the seat, good fit for me, and a really good looking car. On the other hand, like a previous post, steering wheel completely obscures the dashboard. I'd buy one except for the next paragraph.

They wanted a $7K markup on a SE.

Just to put things in perspective, the two closest Hyundai dealers went bankrupt roughly 2 years ago. One reopened under new ownership. The next closest dealer, also bankrupt. Um, guys, noticing a pattern? Maybe that menas you aren't quite worth a $7K ADM when your dashboard goes upside and the cars are catching fire right and left.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Sat in one today. Like the seat, good fit for me, and a really good looking car. On the other hand, like a previous post, steering wheel completely obscures the dashboard. I'd buy one except for the next paragraph.

They wanted a $7K markup on a SE.

Just to put things in perspective, the two closest Hyundai dealers went bankrupt roughly 2 years ago. One reopened under new ownership. The next closest dealer, also bankrupt. Um, guys, noticing a pattern? Maybe that menas you aren't quite worth a $7K ADM when your dashboard goes upside and the cars are catching fire right and left.
I watched a handoff video and on my third test drive I was able to shift the steering wheel so I could read the speedometer.

However the video and my third test drive just proved to me how janky the UI is on the Ioniq 5 and EV6. Both the Model Y and Mach-E have far superior easy to use interfaces with the MME having more physical controls like wipers, headlights, and a volume knob.

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
I watched a handoff video and on my third test drive I was able to shift the steering wheel so I could read the speedometer.
I'm a weird fit in cars, can't read the screen in my Accord without moving my head. The Accord and Ioniq 5 both have HUD's though.

I'm not gonna go over sticker with a Hyundai. The dealers don't deserve it. Hyundai also took reservations on the cars, which meant nothing: no guaranteed price, no guaranteed color, nothing. Makes the Ford dealer network and online ordering look like saints built it.

Apparently there is some Hyundai program that locks in pricing but the nearest dealer that does that is 2 hours away.

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
I went to check out another Hyundai dealership with a deal in hand at MSRP already from another dealer. This other place wanted 3k over MSRP plus 4k in aftermarkets including 2k for "paint protection coat", and 4k below market for my trade in. I haggled them down to 2k over MSRP and no trade in no aftermarkets. I ended up going with the dealer at mrsp without any aftermarket bs. Anyways you sometimes can call their bluff and haggle down close to msrp.

I'm so glad I can get an ioniq 5 in a few weeks so I don't fret about all these Ford delays any more. It's a great car. I recommend checking it out if you're still waiting for your mme

lawman1108

First Name
Pmac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME, 2015 Ford Exp sport, Audi TT quarto 6sp
Country flag
Test drove two (SE RWD and SE AWD) and I can see the appeal. A luxury sedan EV with a comfortable ride. Caters to people who donā€™t want/need a sporty ride nor push to your seat acceleration.

Has unique features not found in many other EVs. 800V architecture. 3600W inverter (vehicle to load), gentle ride, premium inferior (SEL trims or higher. The base SE is cloth and barebones), HUD.

I found I could not see half the dashboard because of the steering wheel blocking my view and the turning radius is as bad a Model Y. I was considering buying one to try for a few months.

Itā€™s a worthy alternative to the MME/Y/ID4/Polestar.
YES!!!! I hated how the steering wheel blocked the dash!!!!!! deal breaker

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
YES!!!! I hated how the steering wheel blocked the dash!!!!!! deal breaker
It's adjustable. I was able to move it down on my third test drive.

What's more disturbing is the efficiency of AWD is total crap. This guy bought the Limited I gave up and wants to sell it a week later. He's only get 225 mile range in Florida (perfect weather here!)

https://www.ioniqforum.com/threads/anyone-want-to-buy-a-barely-used-ioniq-5-limited.39820

He's barely getting 2.9 mi/kWh on the interstate. I recall my Premium RWD was at least 3.1 to 3.3 mi/kWh.
Sponsored