Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
<SNIP>
That way folks you bought a 2021 or 2022 can squeeze the life out of the vehicle (like I think folks should).
If I am squeezing something it ain’t my car. It’s my squeaky toy. 🤪🐩
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Have you tried different tires? I went from stock summer to Continental DWS, and the experience on the GTPE is night and day.
I had been lowering the PSI about 10% around home (but bumping it back up for road trips) on the original Michelins. Modest improvement.

I just got new tires a few months ago, but I went with the Hankook iONs. They seem just slightly smoother than the Michelins, but a little quieter. I hadn't heard much about the Continentals. First I've heard that they're even smoother.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I had been lowering the PSI about 10% around home (but bumping it back up for road trips) on the original Michelins. Modest improvement.

I just got new tires a few months ago, but I went with the Hankook iONs. They seem just slightly smoother than the Michelins, but a little quieter. I hadn't heard much about the Continentals. First I've heard that they're even smoother.
It’s hard to judge new tires based on how “smooth and quiet” they are because you’re usually comparing your noisy worn out tires.

I think the GTPE stock pirelli tires suck. They are noisy and traction and wear suck (9k miles on mine and worn out).

I got a 2023 GTPE loaner with 300 miles on it a couple weeks ago.

When new, the same tires are quiet, ride better and much better traction.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag

Notice any efficiency difference with the Hankooks?

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I’ve been told by the family CFO that I’m not allowed to get a new car til 2030, or maybe forever. However, when I finally do get permission to upgrade from the MME GT I’m hoping the next gen MME has specs that match or exceed the 2024 Taycan.

Journalists are seeing crazy numbers. 332kW peak charging speeds and 300kW+ from from 5% to 62%. Kyle Connor saw 8% to 79% in 16 mins and Edmunds did a range test on the Taycan 4S and saw over 325 miles of range in mostly freeway driving with 16 miles to spare.

If Ford can bring those types of numbers to the next gen MME, I think we’d all be over the moon.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Notice any efficiency difference with the Hankooks?
Not really, but hard to tell, especially in Winter where everthing is off. Our road trip in Dec saw somewhat lower MPK but that's normal for colder temps. The better baseline will be comparing summer driving where temps are a non-factor.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Pretty sure there’s no frunk (practically speaking) in the ionic 5. I wouldn’t even find a hood release in the one I rented to check it out.
You can get the tub from the Korean model and put it in the US one if you want.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I've thought about this as well. There's really nothing on the market that even grabs my attention. I don't feel the look of my Mach is dated, so there's that. We'd all love more miles and faster charging, that'll take more than Ford to improve. Magnetic ride would be killer to have, but again, not a deal breaker. I may just purchase mine when time comes. It still makes me smile when I get behind the wheel, and I have zero regrets with that.😏

Oh, and I never use my frunk, so that's not a thing either.🤣

IMG_20231011_160751561_HDR.jpg
FWIW the faster DCFC isn't really that much faster, maybe save you 12 minutes at a stop.. it is a nice to have, but by no means is it a deal breaker

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
FWIW the faster DCFC isn't really that much faster, maybe save you 12 minutes at a stop.. it is a nice to have, but by no means is it a deal breaker
Yep. Faster would give us more options if in a hurry, but it would rarely affect us. We're in the routine now of going into the Walmart to use the bathroom and do a walk around the store or the lot to stretch our legs and get some steps in. Even now sometimes we get back to the car beyond our 80% charge target. There's a certain overhead time associated with parking and going inside that will mostly remain.

And again, a full day drive for us is around 500 miles (3 DCFCs). One is lunch (30+ minutes regardless). So we're only talking saving time on 2 stops anyway. Pretty minor.

jeffMachE

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, XC60, RR Prem Ex4 (rcvd 11/21)
Country flag
Here is my wish list for an update:
- Heat Pump
- Weight reduction (400-500 lbs would be fantastic)
- 350 mile range for AWD (up from 280) - would translate into 4 "real" hours of driving between stops (or 3 in the winter)
- smoother ride

I think to get weight reduction and increased range means a newer battery pack. Since the current pack was "state of the art" in 2019 or so when they locked the design, seems to me that with the nominal incremental improvements that have happened since then (maybe 10% per year?) that a lighter but more energy dense battery could get to the 350 mile range without needing solid state or some other "just around the corner" tech.

I'd assume that any refresh would include new styling. I like the current styling, but would be interesting to see where they go.

dpnelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion, Mach E soon?
Country flag
Here is my wish list for an update:
- Heat Pump
- Weight reduction (400-500 lbs would be fantastic)
- 350 mile range for AWD (up from 280) - would translate into 4 "real" hours of driving between stops (or 3 in the winter)
- smoother ride

I think to get weight reduction and increased range means a newer battery pack. Since the current pack was "state of the art" in 2019 or so when they locked the design, seems to me that with the nominal incremental improvements that have happened since then (maybe 10% per year?) that a lighter but more energy dense battery could get to the 350 mile range without needing solid state or some other "just around the corner" tech.

I'd assume that any refresh would include new styling. I like the current styling, but would be interesting to see where they go.
Based on interviews and press releases I've seen, it sounds like the 2024s are already getting a few meaningful updates:
- new headlights
- new rear motor
- faster charge times (36 mins instead of 45 from 10-80% from the rally press release - I doubt that's specific to the really)

As for weight reduction, one of the interviews I saw indicated that they reworked the thermal system to use plastic hoses instead of rubber as a running change during the 2023 model run. That's probably a meaningful weight reduction. They also replaced the on-board charger. Hopefully the new one is more compact since the original one is comically large.

It also sounds like the new motor was originally designed for the next generation, so it's probably more efficient and power dense. I wouldn't be surprised if it and the necessary updates related to it (mounting casting updates, inverter updates) are a lot more refined and hopefully a lot lighter.

Handsfree

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
Ford, please stop with the 'special editions,' where the core of the car pretty much remains the same. The Mach-E needs a REAL update!

In evaluating the EV competition out there, the following are a few observations of mine.

With the Mach-E, @Ford Motor Company hit the mark on many aspects:
  • Driver-side and center screens
  • Wireless CarPlay/Android Auto
  • Generous frunk
  • $0 Interior color choices
  • Fair-priced paint options
But based on the competition and new laws, misses with:
  • 400v architecture, limited to ~150kW DCFC charging
  • Its infamous 'bouncy' ride (sheesh @Ford Motor Company, if MagnaRide is truly better, just include it in all Mach-Es!)
  • Ineligibility for IRA discounts when purchasing

The market has matured, and the competition (Hyundai/Kia/Genesis) now offers:
  • 800v charging architecture, allowing DCFC speeds up to 350kW
  • Greater efficiency: Up to 361 miles of range from a smaller battery pack
  • Much better ride quality

Where Hyundai/Kia/Genesis fail miserably is:
  • Wired CarPlay/Android Auto
  • Only the more expensive Genesis offers an interior color other than black
  • Small-to-tiny frunksang on brother

With my Ford Options term ending in January 2025, I've been tracking the EV landscape in search of an EV that has everything I'm looking for without spending more than I did on my 2021 Mach-E Premium Extended Range RWD. So far, it's slim pickings!

What do others think? The forthcoming new models that I've read about, such as the ID.7, still fail to hit the mark on many of these benchmarks/features.
B

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
Explorers new ambient lighting strategy -- looks like it'd light up knees quite a bit. Funny how ford deleted a lot of ambient lighting in 22s and 23s, now they're trying to bring it back. Doesn't seem like it'd do much if the interior color was anything other than white/cream colored. At least the rear doors get some love.

Ford Mustang Mach-E The Mach-E needs a REAL refresh! 1707167436209

ArthurDOB

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium AWD STD Range (Delivered 5/22/23)
Occupation
High School Teacher
Country flag
This is a little misleading as to generations of the ICE Mustang. The first generation is listed as 1965-1973, yeah right! I give you a 1965 and a 1973, don't know about you but no way they should be classed as the same generation!
Agreed. I consider the 1971-1973 model years to be Gen 2.