First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Did anyone see on the Ford Ordering site where we could add the Ford Charger? I know they said you could work with Amazon and add the cost into the car? I didn't see where that was an option.
I don't think they're quite ready for us to do that yet.
Sponsored

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Did anyone see on the Ford Ordering site where we could add the Ford Charger? I know they said you could work with Amazon and add the cost into the car? I didn't see where that was an option.
Somewhere in one of the FAQ’s I read it said you would add that later with the dealer.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Being a retired Electrican I have repaired many homeowner's work. It is not
difficult to install but it is dangerous. One yes one loose connection will cause
a fire. Do not treat this as simple because you watched a video. Good luck
to all of you and yes many of you will succeed.
I agree. As an EE myself, and having built and installed my own Level 2 EVSE (JuiceBox 16 kW, presently set for 7.2 kW now), another set of professional eyes should review the installation and confirm that it follows all local and NEC codes.The circuit breaker must be matched to hold at least 125% of the load (example: a 50 A breaker for a 40 A installation).

I read that the 68 kWh battery will take a 12 kW Level 2 AC charge, so that is a 50 A, 240 VAC circuit with wiring (two line, one neutral and one ground) and a breaker rated for 65 A or greater.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
I have an unused 60A breaker that was at one time used for an electric furnace that no longer exists, it was replaced by a gas furnace. It would seem that I should be able to replace it with a 65A breaker to connect a Ford Charger to. The hot tub is defunct now so the 50A breaker for it is unused in the same panel. I have a 50A breaker with a Juice Box 40 already in use, then just a dryer, oven, and a subpanel that contains all of the 15A circuits (70A breaker). That way I could charge the Mach E faster than the juice box, and charge the LEAF on the juice box at the same time. Doing it DIY and getting the rebate might make it worth the cost.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I have an unused 60A breaker that was at one time used for an electric furnace that no longer exists, it was replaced by a gas furnace. It would seem that I should be able to replace it with a 65A breaker to connect a Ford Charger to. The hot tub is defunct now so the 50A breaker for it is unused in the same panel. I have a 50A breaker with a Juice Box 40 already in use, then just a dryer, oven, and a subpanel that contains all of the 15A circuits (70A breaker). That way I could charge the Mach E faster than the juice box, and charge the LEAF on the juice box at the same time. Doing it DIY and getting the rebate might make it worth the cost.
You're all set with the unused 60A circuit. You just need an EVSE that supports Mustang Mach-E's needs. The one that comes with it, or if you want the fastest possible charging speed, then a 48A EVSE will get you there.

MME has a 10.5 kW onboard AC charger. So your 60A circuit is already more than sufficient to get the fastest AC charging rate supported by the car.

Last edited:

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
One point of concern though, now that I've reread your post. You may need an electrician to run a load calculation based on how your household may be using multiple appliances at the same time, and whether that would exceed your panel rating it your main supply circuit.

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
With his 60 amp and 50 amp breakers being spare in the panel
he "Should Have " enough for his charger. His 60 amp is not more
than enough for 48 amps. It is at it's limit because of the 125% rule.
I just do not understand how many of you want to do this installation
yourself. You spend 50 K for a car and want to save 6 to 8 hundred
for a charger install. Hire it done , go out to breakfast , and come home
to a safe and complete job.

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
Too many numbers. Voltage drop is never figured in this case. Voltage
drop will happen in a long run with wires too small. Also power co. is
allowed 10 % + - to incoming power.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
You're all set with the unused 60A circuit. You just need an EVSE that supports Mustang Mach-E's needs. The one that comes with it, or if you want the fastest possible charging speed, then a 48A EVSE will get you there.

MME has a 10.5 kW onboard AC charger. So your 60A circuit is already more than sufficient to get the fastest AC charging rate stopped by the car.
I see that a large conduit comes out of the ceiling, to a connection box attached to the ducts above the furnace. I'm guessing that the 60A circuit comes to there but ends in the box. There is a shiny cover over one of the holes on the side of the box, possibly where the original furnace cabling entered. There was originally an electric water heater next to the furnace, and a conduit out the side of that box goes to where the old water heater was. I guess I need to get an electrician out to take a look at the possibilities, and give me an estimate. Thanks for the info, that is very helpful.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I personally am leaning towards hiring an electrician to install the 14-50 plug and 50 amp breaker. Although I have some background in electrical work, I don't mind paying a professional.

I will get a variety of quotes, but my question, however, is based on anyone's experience. What would the ball park you think it should cost to install the outlet assuming:

Enough power/room at the panel
Access to the panel and the outlet within 6 feet
Open access to the walls

I'm thinking in the $200 ballpark, just curious if I'm way off base.

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
I personally am leaning towards hiring an electrician to install the 14-50 plug and 50 amp breaker. Although I have some background in electrical work, I don't mind paying a professional.

I will get a variety of quotes, but my question, however, is based on anyone's experience. What would the ball park you think it should cost to install the outlet assuming:

Enough power/room at the panel
Access to the panel and the outlet within 6 feet
Open access to the walls

I'm thinking in the $200 ballpark, just curious if I'm way off base.
Way off. Can not be done @ $200. Breaker @ $50, Plug @ $ 30, Wire@ $1.00 per ft.
This is a guess but min price at about $400.00.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Way off. Can not be done @ $200. Breaker @ $50, Plug @ $ 30, Wire@ $1.00 per ft.
This is a guess but min price at about $400.00.
Weird because I priced the breaker, wire, box, clamps, staples, outlet etc at under $50. Guess I'm missing something

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Weird because I priced the breaker, wire, box, clamps, staples, outlet etc at under $50. Guess I'm missing something
What size and type of wire?