Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Keep in mind form 8911 applies to businesses and individuals. The part about depreciation is for businesses. Individuals can get a tax credit of 30% up to $1000 for the installation of property for the purpose of recharging an electric vehicle. So if you had a charger plugged into an outlet to charge you vehicle it should apply. Some people leave there mobile charger plugged in all the time so it would be pretty easy to argue the purpose of the plug is to charge an electric vehicle.

also remember it is a tax credit so if you try to claim it and the $7500 electric vehicle credit in the same year you may not have paid enough taxes to get the full credit. For instance last year I paid about $6000 in taxes so all I will be able to get back is $6000 so I won’t even be able to take advantage of the full $7500 and none of the cost of installing the charger.
From what I understand, you can roll the amount over to the next year, unless I'm misunderstanding. This is for solar but I think same applies to EVs.

"You'll receive your tax credit the following year when you file your taxes for the year in which you installed your panels. If you don't qualify for the entire tax credit in the first year you can roll over the amount for up to 5 years. "
Sponsored

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
I personally am leaning towards hiring an electrician to install the 14-50 plug and 50 amp breaker. Although I have some background in electrical work, I don't mind paying a professional.

I will get a variety of quotes, but my question, however, is based on anyone's experience. What would the ball park you think it should cost to install the outlet assuming:

Enough power/room at the panel
Access to the panel and the outlet within 6 feet
Open access to the walls

I'm thinking in the $200 ballpark, just curious if I'm way off base.
I had a master electrician install a new 200 amp panel box to replace the one in the garage-mine was full-and then a 50 amp 240V breaker, 6/3 wire short run three foot wire-14-50 outlet and it cost $1500 with inspection. Took six hours if I remember correctly

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I had a master electrician install a new 200 amp panel box to replace the one in the garage-mine was full-and then a 50 amp 240V breaker, 6/3 wire short run three foot wire-14-50 outlet and it cost $1500 with inspection. Took six hours if I remember correctly
Thanks. I know things can get expensive if the panel is out of space or needs to be upgraded.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
What ever you decide, think about the future. I placed mine so I can charge from both parking spots.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Things to consider when DIY installing a wall charger / outlet F070745A-AA7B-4C71-9D17-F5C5DC26DFD2

Now I have to figure out charging for a third EV.

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
6/3 NM, 50 amp square D breaker, 14-50 outlet
At that price did you get 6/3 Alum ?? You should use 6/4 Copper.
We do not know your details so to ask us a price is hard to say.
Go for it with an Electrician and let us know.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
At that price did you get 6/3 Alum ?? You should use 6/4 Copper.
We do not know your details so to ask us a price is hard to say.
Go for it with an Electrician and let us know.
Nope copper. It was actually a little more expensive since I priced it by the foot and budgeted for 10 feet, but 6 feet was the max distance I anticipate, much more likely to be 1 or 2 feet since the panel is right in the garage. The wire itself was the majority of the parts cost.

I know no one can give me a definite cost for install unless they see all the details and are doing the work, but I always like to get as much info as I can. Much like I don't want to pay ADM to a dealer, I prefer to pay a fair price for work.

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
Nope copper. It was actually a little more expensive since I priced it by the foot and budgeted for 10 feet, but 6 feet was the max distance I anticipate, much more likely to be 1 or 2 feet since the panel is right in the garage. The wire itself was the majority of the parts cost.

I know no one can give me a definite cost for install unless they see all the details and are doing the work, but I always like to get as much info as I can. Much like I don't want to pay ADM to a dealer, I prefer to pay a fair price for work.
Very good you have details. A 6 ft. run is nothing. Yes your $200. should do
just fine.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
I completed a 240-V 50-amp circuit install in my garage for the Grizzl-e charger, with the goal being to take advantage of the EVSE 30% off credit before the end of the year.

As of others have mentioned, the 6/3 copper romex is a pain to work with. Requires a lot of muscling around.

My particular setup was lucky, since the garage was right next to the panel for me. Total length needed was around 10 feet.

Other than drilling sideways through a stud, it wasn't too difficult, since my run was short, and I had space and capacity in my panel. It was a good learning experience. Here are some pics:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Things to consider when DIY installing a wall charger / outlet PXL_20201111_040656107

Ford Mustang Mach-E Things to consider when DIY installing a wall charger / outlet PXL_20201114_175537652

Ford Mustang Mach-E Things to consider when DIY installing a wall charger / outlet PXL_20201114_221828699

Ford Mustang Mach-E Things to consider when DIY installing a wall charger / outlet PXL_20201114_233704809

Ford Mustang Mach-E Things to consider when DIY installing a wall charger / outlet PXL_20201119_020458530

Ford Mustang Mach-E Things to consider when DIY installing a wall charger / outlet PXL_20201122_204238381

OP
OP

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
I completed a 240-V 50-amp circuit install in my garage for the Grizzl-e charger, with the goal being to take advantage of the EVSE 30% off credit before the end of the year.

As of others have mentioned, the 6/3 copper romex is a pain to work with. Requires a lot of muscling around.

My particular setup was lucky, since the garage was right next to the panel for me. Total length needed was around 10 feet.

Other than drilling sideways through a stud, it wasn't too difficult, since my run was short, and I had space and capacity in my panel. It was a good learning experience. Here are some pics:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Things to consider when DIY installing a wall charger / outlet PXL_20201122_204238381

Nice work! The only thing I'd say is you might want to check your local code on how high the charge cord has to be hung. It might be the angle of the picture, but it looks like it might be too low. I know this doesn't sound like a big deal, but if you ever have a fire the insurance investigator really wants to find a code violation so that he can justify denying coverage.

rgparham

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
acura mdx/rdx/4runner/ ford mach e awd premium
Country flag
Way off. Can not be done @ $200. Breaker @ $50, Plug @ $ 30, Wire@ $1.00 per ft.
This is a guess but min price at about $400.00.
That's what I paid 399.00

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Nice work! The only thing I'd say is you might want to check your local code on how high the charge cord has to be hung. It might be the angle of the picture, but it looks like it might be too low. I know this doesn't sound like a big deal, but if you ever have a fire the insurance investigator really wants to find a code violation so that he can justify denying coverage.
Thanks!
That's a good point -- I didn't consider the height of the charging cable.
I took a tape measure to it just now. Looks like it's about 4 feet off of the floor (at least the hanger is), though I don't know what the code is for this in Pennsylvania. ?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Things to consider when DIY installing a wall charger / outlet PXL_20201124_002222104

Reactions: Nak
OP
OP

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
Thanks!
That's a good point -- I didn't consider the height of the charging cable.
I took a tape measure to it just now. Looks like it's about 4 feet off of the floor (at least the hanger is), though I don't know what the code is for this in Pennsylvania.
That's probably good, for some reason it looked lower to me in your picture. It's a good thing to check, because it is part of the code how high the hook is.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
That's probably good, for some reason it looked lower to me in your picture. It's a good thing to check, because it is part of the code how high the hook is.
It's a bad picture angle, sorry :)

I'll admit - I did just sort of eyeball it and pick the height randomly. Came out at about 4 ft. For future reference, this is good to know... It's also easy to move this "EZEV Plug" hanger that came with the Grizzl-e. Just four screws.

Reactions: Nak

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not sure if anyone else uses one of these, but seems like a nice idea for that extra peace of mind to check the circuit.

PXL_20201124_155412198.MP.jpg
Sponsored