Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Monthly updates?

I would guess I have gotten around 12 updates in the last 12 months and none bricked my car.

Add Ford to the list I guess…..
You're really reaching here. I think most people would logically conclude that the monthly updates I'm referring to are substantiative and not regressive.

90% of Ford OTAs are recycled ways of saying we didn't do anything you'll actually care about or notice, and we might have broken more than we fixed. "Minor updates here and there"

So yes, if you like regression in updates stick with Ford. When I purchased my car, the UI was better, I didn't have profile bugs, I didn't have drive mode bugs, etc. Those wonderful additions are courtesy of Ford OTAs.

To be fair, Job 1 has got quite a bit compared to my vehicle or newers with BlueCruise and frunk opening, but the rest of the updates, like the games, Alexa, UI refresh etc have not been well accepted. Ford just does what Ford thinks we want, they don't actually fix the things we want fixed.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
You're really reaching here. I think most people would logically conclude that the monthly updates I'm referring to are substantiative and not regressive.

90% of Ford OTAs are recycled ways of saying we didn't do anything you'll actually care about or notice, and we might have broken more than we fixed. "Minor updates here and there"

So yes, if you like regression in updates stick with Ford. When I purchased my car, the UI was better, I didn't have profile bugs, I didn't have drive mode bugs, etc. Those wonderful additions are courtesy of Ford OTAs.

To be fair, Job 1 has got quite a bit compared to my vehicle or newers with BlueCruise and frunk opening, but the rest of the updates, like the games, Alexa, UI refresh etc have not been well accepted. Ford just does what Ford thinks we want, they don't actually fix the things we want fixed.
My experience (2021 job 2) is very different.

Updates have equaled less bugs, more features, and a significantly faster UI.

That said, the update experience with other manufacturers doesn’t seem to be much better or different.

Which is sad considering that brand T has about a 10 year head start. Their version of “coming soon” seems to be way worse than ours.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
My experience (2021 job 2) is very different.

Updates have equaled less bugs, more features, and a significantly faster UI.

That said, the update experience with other manufacturers doesn’t seem to be much better or different.

Which is sad considering that brand T has about a 10 year head start. Their version of “coming soon” seems to be way worse than ours.
Care to list what features and bugs you are referring to? I would love to know!

All the poweups are right here (https://github.com/elmedico27/fordpowerup). Look through them and let me know what bugs they fixed and what you got that you actually wanted.

The UI is subjective and many, many threads have been created about the new UI being atrocious (including it being slow as recent as yesterday). Design is subjective to those who have no knowledge of how it's supposed to be, but I can assure you it's hideous now.

PaaK was terrible, they made it better then they broke it again
Drive mode not available was introduced in an update
Profile issues were introduced in an update
We still have a placebo alarm disablement
They've taken things out of FP that people wanted and gave us empty promises of its return
BC appears to be getting worse (maybe one day we'll get 1.3/1.4). I think that was promised end of summer?? Summer 2024/5/6/7?
We got DCFC preconditioning which you and I will never use because of our climate.
We got better heating in sub-zero temps, which you and I will never use.
We got full screen AA and ACP (I'll give them that, although we should have always had it).
They keep saying they are fixing radio presets and that keeps erasing them for people
Some people got expired map updates and it broke their BC for a while
We got YouTube which can only be used when stationary
We got Alexa
We got games
They keep screwing around with the GOM and pissing people off
We got a recall that is under federal investigation for not working

Let's just be real. Ford sucks at OTAs. If you say otherwise I think you're in the 1%. I have no problem saying where Ford excels, but no one on this forum ever makes a post about "Ford OTA's are Awesome". It's always the opposite. This thread is basically whataboutism using GM as the scapegoat.

In 4 months owning my Rivian they rolled out "centry mode", enhanced Driver+, enhanced the UI to have sliders, added scheduled charging, rolled out trip planning, added the ability to have many more drivers and keys, added one touch garage door opener, added EVGo Autocharge support, improved handling and more. There's a HUGE difference in OTA deployments and enhancements. (https://riviantracker.io/). For God's sake just click into and look at those release notes vs Ford.

Last edited:

rhfritz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE
Country flag
I seem to recall that when we our MME, the fine print said we were volunteering to be software alpha-testers as well.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Care to list what features and bugs you are referring to? I would love to know!

All the poweups are right here (https://github.com/elmedico27/fordpowerup). Look through them and let me know what bugs they fixed and what you got that you actually wanted.

The UI is subjective and many, many threads have been created about the new UI being atrocious (including it being slow as recent as yesterday). Design is subjective to those who have no knowledge of how it's supposed to be, but I can assure you it's hideous now.

PaaK was terrible, they made it better then they broke it again
Drive mode not available was introduced in an update
Profile issues were introduced in an update
We still have a placebo alarm disablement
They've taken things out of FP that people wanted and gave us empty promises of its return
BC appears to be getting worse (maybe one day we'll get 1.3/1.4). I think that was promised end of summer?? Summer 2024/5/6/7?
We got DCFC preconditioning which you and I will never use because of our climate.
We got better heating in sub-zero temps, which you and I will never use.
We got full screen AA and ACP (I'll give them that, although we should have always had it).
They keep saying they are fixing radio presets and that keeps erasing them for people
Some people got expired map updates and it broke their BC for a while
We got YouTube which can only be used when stationary
We got Alexa
We got games
They keep screwing around with the GOM and pissing people off
We got a recall that is under federal investigation for not working

Let's just be real. Ford sucks at OTAs. If you say otherwise I think you're in the 1%. I have no problem saying where Ford excels, but no one on this forum ever makes a post about "Ford OTA's are Awesome". It's always the opposite. This thread is basically whataboutism using GM as the scapegoat.

In 4 months owning my Rivian they rolled out "centry mode", enhanced Driver+, enhanced the UI to have sliders, added scheduled charging, rolled out trip planning, added the ability to have many more drivers and keys, added one touch garage door opener, added EVGo Autocharge support, improved handling and more. There's a HUGE difference in OTA deployments and enhancements. (https://riviantracker.io/). For God's sake just click into and look at those release notes vs Ford.
I used to have bugs literally daily (see my old threads).

Now I don’t.

The UI is significantly faster than it used to be.
Charging is significantly faster
More battery capacity
BC better (and 1.3 should be way better)
PAAK way better
More features

And I haven’t even had the car 2 years.

Maybe my bar is set low because I’ve never owned a car with OTA updates, but they have mostly exceeded my expectations.

If I get my 5 second limit reduced OTA (like was promised), then I will say “they are awesome.”

For now, I’m just satisfied. Nothing wrong with being happy. If that makes me the 1%, I’m ok with that too.

Anyone saying the UI is slow to respond probably never had the old one. Mine responds pretty much immediately.

Here is a video-

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
more battery capacity? How did you get that? (I did get more battery capacity on my Bolt, but they replaced the original battery w/ a larger battery free of charge)
I still have the same battery capacity in my MME, but prevented from accessing it. Did get a little more access a while back, but still only limited access.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
more battery capacity? How did you get that? (I did get more battery capacity on my Bolt, but they replaced the original battery w/ a larger battery free of charge)
I still have the same battery capacity in my MME, but prevented from accessing it. Did get a little more access a while back, but still only limited access.
Our 100 kWh batteries were limited to 88, now they’re limited to 91. They released more usable capacity.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
More battery capacity
PAAK way better
The UI might be faster (I honestly don't remember how fast it was before) but it's hideous now.
Charing curve was improved over 80% SOC at DCFC, very true, but how many people charge over 80% DCFC regularly?
We did get more battery released. I forgot about that.
BC in my opinion and based on a lot of driving using it has gotten worse and more dangerous. I would disagree. Yes I hope we get 1.3/1.4 soon but that's not looking too good right now.
PaaK, as I said, got better but it's been on the fritz again for many people.

So in 2 years you got 2 things that I think everyone can agree on, a tad more battery and faster DCFC above 80% SOC. Both of which were things that we were originally neutered on so they gave us a little bit of our balls back... I wouldn't consider that to be game changing.

But hey, if you're happy with the OTA progress more power to you. I think most of us would disagree, but that's okay. Since I've switched to mainly driving my R1T seeing those patch notes every month is something that amazes me.

How did you get that?
See above

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The UI might be faster (I honestly don't remember how fast it was before) but it's hideous now.
Charing curve was improved over 80% SOC at DCFC, very true, but how many people charge over 80% DCFC regularly?
We did get more battery released. I forgot about that.
BC in my opinion and based on a lot of driving using it has gotten worse and more dangerous. I would disagree. Yes I hope we get 1.3/1.4 soon but that's not looking too good right now.
PaaK, as I said, got better but it's been on the fritz again for many people.

So in 2 years you got 2 things that I think everyone can agree on, a tad more battery and faster DCFC above 80% SOC. Both of which were things that we were originally neutered on so they gave us a little bit of our balls back... I wouldn't consider that to be game changing.

But hey, if you're happy with the OTA progress more power to you. I think most of us would disagree, but that's okay. Since I've switched to mainly driving my R1T seeing those patch notes every month is something that amazes me.

See above
So since you aren’t happy with the OTA updates.

What didn’t you get that you were hoping for?

For me? It’s the 5 sec limitation. But that’s hopefully on the way.

BC 1.3 is just icing because I wasn’t really expecting that.

hprose

First Name
Harvey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250 and a Mach-e on order
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
They're just copying Ford who already did this with the Mach E ICP causing battery drain, or the headlamp switch, or the DC DC inverter bug...

I doubt the reason is because they are afraid of bricking cars, which no doubt they don't wanna do, but rather because they just can't figure it out or because of all the modules from different vendors (Farley's excuse). There's multiple car companies pushing out monthly updates on time every time without bricking them.
I’ve had 1-4 updates every month for the 10 months I’ve had my 22 GT without a problem. I imagine BC 1.3 is late because they are ironing out issues. That’s good. If I went 2 months without an update I would figure there was nothing to update. But that’s me.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
You would think there would be a voltage threshold that OTA’s would not be performed below in order to prevent these events from happening.
There is. That's why my Lighting has failed the latest update 3 times. I plan on looking at the 12v level in Car Scanner and verifying that this morning, getting it up high enough, and then trying again.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ve had 1-4 updates every month for the 10 months I’ve had my 22 GT without a problem. I imagine BC 1.3 is late because they are ironing out issues. That’s good. If I went 2 months without an update I would figure there was nothing to update. But that’s me.
Yeah, 33 OTA updates in the last 12 months doesn’t sound like Ford is being slow or cautious at all.
Update list-
https://github.com/elmedico27/fordpowerup

OP
OP
SWO

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
I used to have bugs literally daily (see my old threads).

Now I don’t.

More battery capacity
PAAK way better
More features

And I haven’t even had the car 2 years.

Maybe my bar is set low because I’ve never owned a car with OTA updates, but they have mostly exceeded my expectations.

If I get my 5 second limit reduced OTA (like was promised), then I will say “they are awesome.”

For now, I’m just satisfied. Nothing wrong with being happy. If that makes me the 1%, I’m ok with that too.

Anyone saying the UI is slow to respond probably never had the old one. Mine responds pretty much immediately.

Here is a video-
This is my take as well. I remember PAAK being horrendously bad when I first got my Job 1 2021. People would walk up to me asking about the car as I was standing outside trying to get in. All the OTAs have come to the car without issue and have improved it.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Except that's not really true. Here's the OTAs since March of this year:

Ford Mustang Mach-E This is why Ford is so cautious pushing OTAs out 1695393302102

We had none in April, May, July or September yet.

If we look at this list there's not a lot there that does anything for us (as in end user noticeable fixes).

August 15 - Gateway Module (has no impact that we can see)
August 04 - Audio Control Module (radio preset bug, which erased presets and people report the same issue still exists)
June 24 - Door control modules (nothing visible to us)
June 10 - RFA (supposedly improving PaaK)
March 23 - Gateway Module (has no impact that we can see)
March 10 - Sync Update that included a new game
March 07 - Gateway Module (has no impact that we can see)

So if we look at the updates since March we got a new game. Yippie!
Sponsored

Last edited: