Threads with charging problems are making me nervous about my decision

GoodenoughIsGod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf
Country flag
I have a reservation for both the Tesla Model Y and the Mach E. Based on test driving the vehicles I like both cars, but for different reasons. I had almost made up my mind to buy the Mach E, but these charging issue threads bricking the car for weeks on end is really giving me pause and making me very nervous. I don't have the luxury of an extra car to tide me over should I encounter this problem. Haven't seen this specific issue on any of the Model Y's (there the discussion is all about build quality) over on the Tesla forums. There seem to be many threads with charging problems with the Mach E. There seem to be both software and hardware issues that keep cropping up. If you are a recent buyer, how did you go about making the choice? I am just thinking aloud and would love to hear if you bought recently and whether this particular issue was a consideration.

Based on estimated delivery date (MY) and production date (Mach E), I am likely to get my car sometime later October or early November.
Sponsored

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Not my experience. Charging has been a non-issue. I did have a problem with an EVSE, but that is not related to the car and it is being replaced.

Im' sure you are aware, but forums are overwhelmingly tilted towards the squeaky wheel. Folks with no issues seldom post that info

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I do not even yet have an MME, but I don't have any reservations about charging issues. The bricking incidents seem to be isolated. The Plug 'n Charge issues are not something I'm likely to run into since I have a L2 EVSE at home and I mostly (99% or more) charging at home.

OP
OP

GoodenoughIsGod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf
Country flag
I do not even yet have an MME, but I don't have any reservations about charging issues. The bricking incidents seem to be isolated. The Plug 'n Charge issues are not something I'm likely to run into since I have a L2 EVSE at home and I mostly (99% or more) charging at home.
@HuntingPudel -- I too have a Level 2 EVSE already installed (Wallbox Pulsar Plus). Already charging my daughter's Nissan Leaf on it. But the charging problems I am referring to are on home installed L2 EVSEs. See here:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/wont-charge-on-level-2-chargers.8256/

And here:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/battery-wont-charge.8885/

Others: Thanks for your responses. I am trying to reassure myself that these are isolated incidents and like you have said, it's always people who have problems who post.

MarkP213

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X Premium, Infinite Blue
Country flag
I have a reservation for both the Tesla Model Y and the Mach E. Based on test driving the vehicles I like both cars, but for different reasons. I had almost made up my mind to buy the Mach E, but these charging issue threads bricking the car for weeks on end is really giving me pause and making me very nervous. I don't have the luxury of an extra car to tide me over should I encounter this problem. Haven't seen this specific issue on any of the Model Y's (there the discussion is all about build quality) over on the Tesla forums. There seem to be many threads with charging problems with the Mach E. There seem to be both software and hardware issues that keep cropping up. If you are a recent buyer, how did you go about making the choice? I am just thinking aloud and would love to hear if you bought recently and whether this particular issue was a consideration.

Based on estimated delivery date (MY) and production date (Mach E), I am likely to get my car sometime later October or early November.
I’ve had my Mach E since April. Zero charging issues at home, and the only issues in the wild have been the occasional charging station that is down. But there’s always been working ones to move over to.

Phone as a Key can be iffy, but I NEVER use my fob, and I’ve always been able to unlock and start my car with my phone. I believe it is more of an issue of how iOS prioritizes apps, rather than the app or vehicle itself. I find as long as the FordPass app is in the foreground, I have zero issues with the car unlocking upon approach. Even in my pocket.

I haven’t experienced any other major issues posted on this forum.

Hope that helps. It’s an awesome car and fun to drive! No regrets!

Mach-Tony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Carbonized Grey Premium AWD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I've charged for nearly 5k miles with no issues, which includes nearly all types of chargers/stations. I stand by my statement that people are only talking bad about the MME to promote other EVs...

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Without going and looking at the threads you are talking about, I’m going to suggest that you check the date the threads were started on. There were a lot of issues in the February/March/April timeframe, but most have been resolved by now. There are occasional issues still, but the odds of any one person having an issue have shifted to pretty low.

Personally, I have never had an issue with charging.

Brian707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mustang Mach E Premium AWD EXT
Country flag
Like with restaurants, people who have a bad experience somewhere will tell 10 people how terrible it is. People with a good experience will tell 1. I have had zero issues with charging, and overall besides a few bugs here or there, I would buy the Mach E again if I had to do it over.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Others: Thanks for your responses. I am trying to reassure myself that these are isolated incidents and like you have said, it's always people who have problems who post.
You cited a couple of posts of people that have experienced L2 charging issues.

What about the posts from active forum members who aren't reporting this problem? Would you want to cite those?

My point is, even on a car forum where the main thing users want to do is report problems or question symptoms or whatever, you're finding very few with charging issues.

There was a very real problem for customers in Chicagoland early on, due to incompatibility between their residential power voltages (too high) and the vehicle's on board charger. But Ford has since published an update for that which resolves the issue.

OP
OP

GoodenoughIsGod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf
Country flag
Again thanks all. My goal here is not to incite negative threads about any manufacturer. Really just trying to become an informed customer before I make the choice. As I said, I like both cars and there are many things to like about the Mach E. I definitely liked the ride quality better, love the exterior lines way better than the MY, and the interior too.

@JoeDimwit -- the threads I referred to are very recent threads and at least one is an ongoing problem for the poster.

But yes, I do recognize that there are thousands of other active forum members who aren't sharing smooth everyday operation. That's the nature of all internet forums dedicated to cars I suppose. Point well taken.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
No issues for me since April. 100% L2 charging on a Grizzl E charger. I did try an L3 once just to see if it works. It does. I still have 245K in my Ford account.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
As a general rule, the most vocal are the complainers. They are the ones that post 90% or more so most of the time you only see problems.

My Mach-E has had Zero issues with AC or DC charging unless the charger was faulty. And I have only had this at one location. A 2 minute call to Electrify America got the charger back online and I was charging like a champ.

kgautam28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eco boost 2016, 2021 Mach e FE, 2022 Mach E GT PE
Occupation
Software
Country flag

Most charging problems on the car are badluck which is not common. In my 12k miles no issues.

The rest are those who didn't plan properly on charging stops during their trips.

Try ABRP app, try to map all the route you can imagine and then see how easy it is.

Ask away any questions. I even did glacier national park 5 day trip in the MME, and we drove back to Seattle with only a single charging stop.

And the car Brother, it's beautiful. All other nit picks I have it every car I drive. Buy it and love it.

20210712_125711 (1).jpg

20210712_151145.jpg

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
there are many things to like about the Mach E. I definitely liked the ride quality better, love the exterior lines way better than the MY, and the interior too.
So you like the MME better, but you're considering going with the MY instead because a couple of people on a forum have had charging issues?
Sponsored