Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
10 minutes ago, I go into the garage to pull the car out so the wife can get to work. I unplug the charger and the liftgate immediately opens... WHACK!!!! Are you kidding me?!?! What possible electronics/software scenario would trigger that to happen? C'mon! Now we have nice scratch on the liftgate where it smacked into the garage door (next time I will open the door before unplugging the car). Sigh :(
Welcome to the club. Mine must have opened sometime when I wasn't in the car because when my wife opened the garage door my hatch went up with it. Fortunately I have pool noodles on the garage door to prevent scratching. However, I immediately turned off the toe kick feature hoping that will keep it from happening again.

Ford has pulled the "toe kick" feature from new Mustangs.
Sponsored

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I’m just glad this thing disables while driving

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I guess I need to turn that off (assuming that is what triggered it). Booooooo
You can also limit how far the liftgate opens for just such reasons. You can still push it open further when needed. Instructions are in the owners manual.

OP
OP
ProfitOfTruth

ProfitOfTruth

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E, 2006 Mustang GT, 2018 Buick Regal GS
Occupation
IT Guru
Country flag
You can also limit how far the liftgate opens for just such reasons. You can still push it open further when needed. Instructions are in the owners manual.
We have the height set to not hit the door when the door is open, and I am sure it would have to stopped before hitting it (had it been open). But in this case the door was closed and the liftgate hit it while it was swinging upward. If the car had been about 3 inches forward it would have cleared the door and stopped normally. I'm still going to do the following things:

1) I will turn off the kick-to-open feature (since I do not know the 'why' it is opening)
2) Make sure I open the garage door before I plug/unplug the vehicle (since I do not know the 'why' it is opening)
3) Try to make sure I pull in far enough so that if it does 'ghost open', it will clear the door
4) Put some kind of foam padding on the door to prevent scratching (in case I do not pull in far enough)

It's a pretty tight fit in the garage, so I am going to need to do some reorganization to make room. Perhaps sell the '06 GT? (No way!)

IMG_3232.JPG

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
10 minutes ago, I go into the garage to pull the car out so the wife can get to work. I unplug the charger and the liftgate immediately opens... WHACK!!!! Are you kidding me?!?! What possible electronics/software scenario would trigger that to happen? C'mon! Now we have nice scratch on the liftgate where it smacked into the garage door (next time I will open the door before unplugging the car). Sigh :(
Mine opens if I have the key in my pocket and the charger cable moves under the trunk.
It is the cable movement that activates the motion sensor.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
We have the height set to not hit the door when the door is open, and I am sure it would have to stopped before hitting it (had it been open). But in this case the door was closed and the liftgate hit it while it was swinging upward. If the car had been about 3 inches forward it would have cleared the door and stopped normally. I'm still going to do the following things:

1) I will turn off the kick-to-open feature (since I do not know the 'why' it is opening)
2) Make sure I open the garage door before I plug/unplug the vehicle (since I do not know the 'why' it is opening)
3) Try to make sure I pull in far enough so that if it does 'ghost open', it will clear the door
4) Put some kind of foam padding on the door to prevent scratching (in case I do not pull in far enough)

It's a pretty tight fit in the garage, so I am going to need to do some reorganization to make room. Perhaps sell the '06 GT? (No way!)

IMG_3232.JPG
Good ideas. Except for selling the GT of course.

The door issues came up sometime ago. One guy put foam over the various things the lift gate can hit when it’s opened. In my case, I have to pull the car way into its slot so I don’t have the hit on opening issue, just the hit the garage door when it’s open issue.

OP
OP
ProfitOfTruth

ProfitOfTruth

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Guru
Country flag
Ok, last comment, then I'll let this go. I just noticed that SecuriAlert sent the message below (I get such messages well after the fact). I was able to unlock the doors, start the car, back it out of the garage and then use the kick to open to open the liftgate (to inspect for damage). All of these events triggered similar messages about 'unauthorized' access. How is it possible that any of these operations are 'unauthorized', yet allowed? I mean if I stick my foot out, shouldn't the liftgate just stay closed if I am not authorized? Just weird. :rolleyes:

IMG_5468.jpg

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
I have enough room in my garage that I have a refrigerator in front of my Mach E and the fridge doors open without issue. That's the good news. The bad news is that my wife has a Lincoln Navigator L which comes to within 9 inches of the firewall. Her car is so long that it's 17" longer than the Expedition that it replaced.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
What possible electronics/software scenario would trigger that to happen?
Something unpredictable/untested (to test a scenario someone needs to predict it, so yeah, unpredicted mostly). I'm pretty sure that if you try to recreate it, you will fail.

I had it multiple times with X3 due to "long press" on the keyfob button in my pocket, so it was a predicted issue for me. And I did exactly that:
pad the garage door at the point of possible collision.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VF3CLTR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hasn't happened with MachE yet.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I didn't need anything so elaborate, or expensive. I pulled my Mach-E in, and with the door closed raised and lowered the hatch and saw no point of possible contact.

For me, the only possible point of contact is the arm that connects the door to the opener, and that's only if the garage door was moving when the hatch opened. I simply took some foam packing material (sheet) that I had leftover from receiving a package and wrapped it around the arm, and secured it with duct tape.

jrstinkfish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I loved having the kick-to-open liftgate, but one time it just kept opening in a parking lot as we were trying to pack up the car, every time I'd get in, it would open back up, so I had to go and shut it, over and over until it finally stayed shut. Was a bit embarrassing, but OK.

The kicker was when it opened on its own in my driveway and stayed open all night, I didn't even notice it until the next morning. At that point I shut it off and I'm afraid to re-enable it. I have Securalert on now (though the minutes-long lag on alerts makes it useless for most things), but if it goes off while I'm sleeping, I won't notice anyway.

OP
OP
ProfitOfTruth

ProfitOfTruth

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Guru
Country flag
I bought an $8 Yoga mat and some two-sided gorrilla tape. I'll make sure to cover any possible contact points.

JerryL

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport
Country flag
I assume that I will not have this issue on my 2022 model.
Sponsored