slambertr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
Very good points and I didn't think about that. For now, I think a L2 charge to 90% is only slightly worse than 85%, and I want my car ready for a long drive whenever I need it. It is a good compromise instead of charging to 100% which is what I would do if I didn't care about long term battery life. It is a balance between having a car ready to go, and protecting the battery. Also Ford recommends 90%, and they know more than me. So I am going with their recommendation.
This is where my conservative (i.e. save the long-term battery range) charging probably hurts me come winter. I have typically charged to 80% (except before a road trip) - and with colder temperatures will now charge to 85% - but 90% every charge worries me. But the Forum gods (and Ford) say 90% is ok, yes?
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
But the Forum gods (and Ford) say 90% is ok, yes?
Yep! I agree with Ford and that is what I do. Also I am sure you know that 90% charge is not really 90% of the battery, because the usable capacity is 88 kWh of the 98.8 kWh battery. 90% charge is somewhere between 80 and 85% of the battery. Even if it is 85%, it is nothing to worry about IMO.

BTW - you can keep your car on the last supercharger past 80%. It will be a longer wait, but much better than driving 40 miles out of the way.

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
Preconditioning the cabin isn’t saving you $$… it’s making the cabin more comfortable and possibility adding at bit of range but.. it really depends on cold tolerance. We live in a mild winter climate. I can average 3.5 mi/kWh IF I run the cabin on auto 1 and heat at 65F and average say 45 mph. Just depends if you can tolerate 65F. If I want get 3.5 M/KWh at 55+ Mph then I’d better willing to tolerate 55F cabin heat… or less. No such thing as free heat in a Mach E. The coolest AC I’ve ever experienced is E Heat in a Mach E.

Petter

First Name
Petter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit (2017), Mustang Mach-E, FE (2021)
Occupation
Media manager/editor
Country flag
3. Precondition your vehicle by scheduling departure times to warm the cabin and the battery while plugged-in (using the FordPass™ App or the SYNC® 4A touchscreen)
Two questions come to mind (and I have tried to find answers in the manual):

1. Does charging in itself warm the battery, or do you have to scehdule departure times in addition to the car being plugged on to a charger?

2. If you remote start the car without it being plugged on to a charger, will the remote start warm the battery or only the cabin?

Av8tor

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, MME GTPE
Occupation
Systems Engineer IOT
Country flag
Two questions come to mind (and I have tried to find answers in the manual):

1. Does charging in itself warm the battery, or do you have to scehdule departure times in addition to the car being plugged on to a charger?

2. If you remote start the car without it being plugged on to a charger, will the remote start warm the battery or only the cabin?
Peter, Check out the following thread: @Mopey does an extreme temp test. Very good read on pushing the boundaries
(1) -35F\-37C Real World Mach-E Range Test. What could go wrong? | MachEforum - Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum, News, Owners, Discussions

Jonno21

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Long Range Space White
Country flag
I am retired and don't have a regular departure time for work anymore. :):) I wish I could precondition my cabin from my phone on the fly. It looks to me like the only way to precondition is to build a regular schedule. I would love it if the Ford Pass app allowed me to just tap an icon to start preconditioning a few minutes before I left my garage. That would be much more useful to me than any of the other tap and hold features on the Ford Pass app.
My situation exactly :)

Av8tor

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, MME GTPE
Occupation
Systems Engineer IOT
Country flag
My situation exactly :)
When you remote start via the App in the garage while plugged in, it will share the heating/cooling within the cabin and battery using the shore line. If it's not plugged in, it will share the heating/cooling within the cabin and battery using the HV battery taking away some range.

I think Ford is confusing people with the schedules, I think Ford is trying not to draw any power from the charger without permission because of electrical rates. if your charge window is big enough, it will optimally warm/cool the battery using the shore line without doing anything in the cabin, or at least do the cabin at the end of the schedule window.

I think @Ford Motor Company has some work to do on how this works.

Preconditioning Your Vehicle
You can precondition your vehicle by using departure and comfort settings to warm or cool your cabin and the high voltage battery when your vehicle is plugged in. By using energy from your charging source prior to your departure, battery temperature can be managed for best driving performance and less energy will be needed for heating or cooling of the cabin at the start of your drive. This helps maximize your driving range. See Setting the Charging Schedule and Preferences​
(page 174).​
Note: You can also access departure and comfort settings using the FordPass App.​
Note: Lower cabin temperature settings on the climate control system results in better trip range.​

If you have this Icon on the Dash, it will pull power from the shore line if the time is within a scheduled charge/departure schedule.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tips for Maximizing Your Mach-E’s Winter Range (via Precondition) 1638037737629

Reaching your max charge level by your next departure time is always the priority. When charge times are set, charging outside your preferred charging time windows could be necessary in order to finish by your next departure time. In this case, the vehicle will typically begin charging right away after plugging in.

They are trying to simplify or mimic a cell phone, where it will charge to 100% just before you take it off the charger. It's better to go to 100% charge, and then begin discharging, than staying there for a time.

It's confusing because there are too many variables they are trying to juggle. Locations, Charging Schedules, Departure Schedules, Max Charge per location, plugged in vs not plugged in.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tips for Maximizing Your Mach-E’s Winter Range (via Precondition) 1638038466519

"Precondition" will happen whenever the battery needs to be heated or cooled, it would be nice to see some sort of indication when the system determines or activates this logic on the interface and mobile app somewhere. You could only use remote starts 2 times in a row before you can reset it via opening the door.

It's happening in the background, I think folks just want to SEE that it's happening.

SteveJo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Job 1 Mach-e/X
Country flag
Again, Ford needs to define "plugged-in" as I don't believe full preconditioning occurs on L1.

Av8tor

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, MME GTPE
Occupation
Systems Engineer IOT
Country flag
Again, Ford needs to define "plugged-in" as I don't believe full preconditioning occurs on L1.
I think they have:

Note: Cabin conditioning comfort level may vary depending on if you plug into a normal household outlet or a higher power outlet or charging station. The power available for conditioning is limited to the charging station power available.
At low ambient temperatures and low charge power, a small amount of high voltage battery power in addition to the charging power could be used to heat the cabin.​
Ford Speak:​
low charge power = L1 (110v)​
higher power outlet = L2(240v)​
charging station = "Ford Connected Charger" = L2(240v)​

Last edited:

SteveJo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Job 1 Mach-e/X
Country flag
I think they have:

Note: Cabin conditioning comfort level may vary depending on if you plug into a normal household outlet or a higher power outlet or charging station. The power available for conditioning is limited to the charging station power available.
At low ambient temperatures and low charge power, a small amount of high voltage battery power in addition to the charging power could be used to heat the cabin.​
10-4. I also question the HVB preconditioning on L1. It seems that a 110v connection may offer very little in comparison to L2 in terms of miles conservation.

Av8tor

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, MME GTPE
Occupation
Systems Engineer IOT
Country flag

Jonno21

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think they have:

I think my situation is slightly different living in the UK. I have a L2 wall charger that can give 7.4 KW @32 amps (240 volts). The expensive electricity in the UK forces me to use the Octopus Go tariff at 0.5 pence per KWH between 12.30 midnight and 4.30am in the morning which is the time period for this particular tarriff. Otherwise I'm paying 0.22 pence per KWH for all other times. I don't know what it is in dollars or cents but even using the US currency US forum members are paying less than we're being overcharged in the UK.

I'm making the assumption (rightly or wrongly) that if I pre-condition outside of the 12.00 -4.00 period, the car won't draw any power to help with warming as the wall carger is set to only charge within the cheaper rate. (I can't set it on the car as Ford only do the increments in hours and not half hours). I hope my ramblings make sense. ;)

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I assume you mean something other than 0.22 vs 0.5, since 0.22 is less than half 0.5?

Yes, the car cannot use house current if the wall charger is set not to provide it. I do the same, and can override it easily in an app if needed.

Jonno21

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I assume you mean something other than 0.22 vs 0.5, since 0.22 is less than half 0.5?

Yes, the car cannot use house current if the wall charger is set not to provide it. I do the same, and can override it easily in an app if needed.
Brain fog moment. :rolleyes: What I meant to say was 0.22 pence and 0.05 pence. As you can see, charging outside of the cheap rate at night is vastly more expensive here in the UK. Yes, I can override mine via the charger app but choose not to. The unit rate outside of the cheaper window has just increased from 0.15 to 0.22 pence which is a sizeable increase.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
That sucks. What are you going to do about it?
Sponsored