Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KIA Telluride EX 2018 KIA Stinger GT AWD
Occupation
Component Sales
Country flag
Love the Teslarati, how they make it seem like Tesla is just superior in every way. No Apple Car Play, or Android auto? Seriously? No 360º camera? My point is people are going back and forth on points, and rightly so. It IS A TIGHT comparison, and many have the Ford on top, over the Tesla. It's that close.

Yet, of course, Telarati is going to favor whatever Telsa has - they are the fanboys and that's their audience I get it.

I find people here are very open to pros and cons of both machines. Interesting...

What I am finding hypocritical with Tesla owners (I have many friends I know) is the following: Charging. The argument often looks like this when questioning charging and time to do so on the road, etc... "Hey, when you get home you just plug it in. Always a full tank. No range anxiety to worry about." Oh okay... But what about when on the road? "Oh, no worries. I just stop and use the restroom, grab a coffee, do some work. It's not a problem and them I'm on my way." Oh, okay...

Yet it is these same people that are trying to absolutely hammer on Ford for Electrify America or other chargers, and the fact Ford Mach-e just doesn't charge as fast - and that's a HUGE problem.

Wait, you can't have it both ways. When charging on the road it's no biggie. Just work a while, have a lunch, take a break. But with the Ford, if it takes 15 minutes more that's a deal breaker? That's game over?

Come on now. Eithe stopping for an hour mid-day screws everything or it's just fine. Don't claim 15 minutes makes the Mach-e a nightmare machine not worth it, especially when waiting any amount of time to charge the Tesla is not a big deal. That's fan-boy speak.

To me, this all screams why I'm not getting an EV any time soon. They are expensive however they are sliced, their is not a huge choice in the market yet, and I never, never, need to think about range or charging or whatever for a gas powered vehicle. And it's 5 minutes to fuel up and other 350 miles and away I go. It's just so simple. I can't image a Sunday and the family says "Hey, let's go to the beach" and we can't because I didn't park the car in the garage, and thus didn't charge it and now we need to wait 3 more hours - screw the beach, because I need to wait to put fuel in my vehicle? I just don't get any of that.

Commuting? I get it. Can makes sense I suppose, or just enthusiast's that love the tech. All good. And Ford is really pushing Telsa on their first outing. To me, that does not bode well for Telsa moving forward. Especially with their - well - crappie serve and deals to fix a leak, headlamp, anything, their customer service should be top priority and it seems well down the ranks. Heck investing in Bitcoin is more important to Tesla's top brass and give great customer service. That won't bode well long-term... Clearly, they act like a bay area tech company, but I digress...
Sponsored

kgautam28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eco boost 2016, 2021 Mach e FE, 2022 Mach E GT PE
Occupation
Software
Country flag
Wait, wait, wait - I am sorry, but you are getting ahead of yourself - what FSD has anything to do with the stuff we are talking about? Please, do not add oranges to apples - Ford doesn't have FSD, Tesla doesn't have FSD - again, compare apples to apples. Nobody currently buying FSD option with Tesla - so, please do not force that to the total price.

My god... I see you also added shiny wheels and custom color - please do not artificially warp the picture - you will start sounding just like a Tesla fans sounding - stick to the facts and do not add custom options if you want a fare comparison.

And again - Ford doesn't have FSD (or whatever you call it) - like in case with Tesla, it's just a promise... And btw, you cannot buy it yet - why? - right, because it's just that - a promise.
A Model Y in Grey adds $1000 for the paint, the diamond cut wheels add $2000, Ford Premium adds it to the price, so why do I not select options?
Ford has 70-80% features of what tesla's FSD can offer.
Anyway, Not sure whether others are buying FSD or not, this was my reason to buy the Mach E over Model Y, and also their almost unrealistic EPA estimates.

And you can add the FSD option that adds 10K to the Tesla's price.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
The Top Gear article forgot certain details that makes the Mach-E better. The first one is the present $7,500 Federal tax rebate which applies to Ford but not to Tesla. Second, there are thousands of Ford dealers and service shops, sometimes several in the same city, versus few Tesla showrooms and service shops (no dealers). Since most car buyers know how to visit a dealer, only a few "tech savy" will order a car online, so Ford wins both types of buyers.

I am a "dealer" type since a car purchase is my second largest purchase, and I must see and feel what I will be buying. As a fact, the 2021 Mustang Mach-E will cost me more than what my present home cost me!

kgautam28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eco boost 2016, 2021 Mach e FE, 2022 Mach E GT PE
Occupation
Software
Country flag
The Mach E does not handle better than the Model Y, the ride quality is better, but the MY grips the road and corners better. Ford made the decision to go with econobox size tires (probably to get the range numbers up) which in such a heavy car is hurting the handling. The MME is a much more comfortable vehicle, less road noise, better ride etc.

It is unfair to compare the pricing of the MME to the MY with FSD and 20 inch wheels..MME does not and will not have anything close to FSD, the enhanced copilot is pretty much a match for autopilot which is standard. If you compare spec for spec (assuming X plan and $2500 ford options rebate) you are 2500-3500 lower in price in the MME, if the $7000 credit comes back for Tesla then the price advantage is in the other direction.
But there is no credit for the Tesla right now. Hence the scale slides

OP
OP
B25Nut

B25Nut

First Name
Charlee
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bsi-inc.com
Vehicles
2021 Premium MME 4EX Star White, 2019 Acura RDX,
Occupation
BSI Sales and Technical Manager
Country flag
The MME will give me the best handling, fastest and best looking vehicle I have ever owned. Do I care that the Tesla would go beyond the handling limits of the MME that I never plan on approaching? No. The superior interior features and good looks of the MME are more important to me. I also anticipate that over 95% of my charging will be at home, so the Tesla advantage in charging networks is not a factor for me.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Nobody currently buying FSD option with Tesla
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

excuse me I have a new person to ignore

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Honda Pilot,2012 Honda Civic,Premium std rwd
Country flag
A Model Y in Grey adds $1000 for the paint, the diamond cut wheels add $2000, Ford Premium adds it to the price, so why do I not select options?
Anyway, Not sure whether others are buying FSD or not, this was my reason to buy the Mach E over Model Y, and also their almost unrealistic EPA estimates.

I see - you cannot argue with a fanatic who only see what he wants to see - bye!

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Why would you worry about that? If you drove Tesla and MME, you know who performance winner is. Not sure why it is such a pain for MME people to acknowledge the fact that any Model Y or Model 3 in any configuration is more engaging and responsive than any configuration of MME (except GT which nobody tested yet). You do not need to involve MY Performance to prove that. That's a fact, fortunately or unfortunately. MME will beat MY/M3 in many other aspects but not in the performance one. You cannot be the best in everything.
Huh? That's probably "blanket statement of the year". No.

1. MME AWD/EX and MY LR are both exactly 4.8 seconds 0-60mph with 1ft rollout.
2. "more engaging and responsive" is not a category you can dismissively call without defining what exactly you're talking about. Most reviews I've seen place the Mach-E over the Model Y in this regard, though. Doug DeMuro and Tom Voelk both recently acknowledged they thought the Mach-E was a better driver's car.
3. No, it's not a "fact". That's like saying it's a fact that a Mustang is more exciting and engaging than a Camaro. That's subjective opinion.
3. MME beats the Model Y in total range, but loses to the model Y in overall efficiency.
4. The Mach-E GT is the apples-to-apples comparison to the Model Y performance. On paper, the specs are almost identical. The same goes for the Mach-E AWD Ex and the Model Y LR.

Where the Mach-E Ex plainly loses to the Model Y LR are:
1. Infotainment "extras", such as a web browser.
2. Efficiency and aerodynamic drag (up to 20% less efficient)
3. Curb weight.
4. FSD capability (even though it's in beta).
5. Presence of a heat pump.
6. Tesla brand recognition
7. Supercharger network

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Well then - Tesla has off-road mode - does MME have it? :) You can say you do not need it, but anybody in Illinois can say the same about handling twisties :). But everybody definitely will feel acceleration and charging speed.
I am talking about windy roads, not going off roading. Neither is going to be very good off roading. The acceleration in the ER AWD ME can in fact be felt. Yes, the DC fast charging goes to Tesla right now, but assuming that is a constant state is a flawed assumption.

Most unbiased reviews I have seen have commented on how fun the Mach E is to drive. I definitely enjoy driving mine.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Few things to point out. Is the model y 0 to 60 faster yes. Is it a lot not.

Is the tesla network of fast chargers better now? yes But again most people charge at home.

Handling is more to your taste of how you drive. Too many reviews like the handling of the mache as it's more fun to drive. But again that is up to how you like to preload and drive your corners.

riding yeah the mache rides way better.

When the model y first came out pricing a model y long-range with taxes and all fees would put you over 63,000. Now teslas price is a little lower now but still, things factor in. Still, apples to apples a launch version of the model y was more than a launch version of mache awd ext.

You don't want a white tesla, add 1,000 dollars. You want red add 2,000 dollars.
yes, ford chargers around 400 for red but that is a 1,600 price difference.

Mache, pick black or space grey interior no upcharge. Tesla, you want white adds another 1,000.

Now rims we can play this two ways. Stock 19inch rims on the mache AWD ext are wayyyyy better looking than the stock 19 inch on the tesla, not even close. But tesla does offer 20-inch rims that look better than their 19 inch but cost 2,000 more. So either the mache wins here or you pay 2,000 more for decent-looking rims but also lose range on the model y.

Also, the interest rates from ford compared to tesla are better. Tesla Model Y does not even have 36 months.
With everyone here in the states able to get the x plan that takes around 700 off and caps certain fees. Tesla fees add up to more than ford's also.

You take a tesla model y long-range add red paint, white inteiror, and 20-inch rims, fees and higher interest rate and no x plan pricing. The mache comes in cheaper right now than the model y long range.

That is apples to apples.

Thopter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Specialized Turbo Creo SL Expert EVO
Country flag
That TG review is BS.
Mach E handles better than the model Y, and has longer range, interior is more user friendly.
Yeah, I’m gonna give a little more credence to the opinion of a professional auto journalist who will drive more cars this year than you’ll drive in a lifetime.

The psycholgy of people needing to publicly justify a purchase is always fascinating.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Why would you worry about that? If you drove Tesla and MME, you know who performance winner is. Not sure why it is such a pain for MME people to acknowledge the fact that any Model Y or Model 3 in any configuration is more engaging and responsive than any configuration of MME (except GT which nobody tested yet). You do not need to involve MY Performance to prove that. That's a fact, fortunately or unfortunately. MME will beat MY/M3 in many other aspects but not in the performance one. You cannot be the best in everything.
You clearly have not done enough research where plenty of professional reviews say the Mach E handles much better than the Model Y (and sometimes 3).

Edit: Even Top Gear's own video review says the Mach E handles sharper than a Tesla...

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Why not compare the standard Autopilot instead? Full FSD is completely different since it also adds summon, autopark, full self driving on both highways and in the city.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Huh? That's probably "blanket statement of the year". No.

1. MME AWD/EX and MY LR are both exactly 4.8 seconds 0-60mph with 1ft rollout.
2. "more engaging and responsive" is not a category you can dismissively call without defining what exactly you're talking about. Most reviews I've seen place the Mach-E over the Model Y in this regard, though. Doug DeMuro and Tom Voelk both recently acknowledged they thought the Mach-E was a better driver's car.
3. No, it's not a "fact". That's like saying it's a fact that a Mustang is more exciting and engaging than a Camaro. That's subjective opinion.
3. MME beats the Model Y in total range, but loses to the model Y in overall efficiency.
4. The Mach-E GT is the apples-to-apples comparison to the Model Y performance. On paper, the specs are almost identical. The same goes for the Mach-E AWD Ex and the Model Y LR.

Where the Mach-E Ex plainly loses to the Model Y LR are:
1. Infotainment "extras", such as a web browser.
2. Efficiency and aerodynamic drag (up to 20% less efficient)
3. Curb weight.
4. FSD capability (even though it's in beta).
5. Presence of a heat pump.
6. Tesla brand recognition
7. Supercharger network
No, the Y is 4.6 with the 1 ft rollout. Tesla's shady marketing uses the rollout on Performance models, no rollout on the non-Performance models.
Sponsored