Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
@ChasingCoral this is great!

So instead of #2, you'd just need a tow hitch socket piece that's inserted into the receptical above #2? Maybe there is a Ford part just for this? ?
Yes, if the NA models have the receptacle into which #2 attaches. That piece may only be in the EU/UK cars.
Sponsored

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
OK, so I know many of us have stated a wish for a hitch, whether for light towing or just bike/ski/cargo platform. I recall that long ago, a Ford exec/rep indicated that Ford did not necessarily see a demand in the US as they did in Europe.

Sorry to prevail on the insiders again, but is there a constructive way for us here to show someone with clout at Ford that there is a sizeable group here that definitely want this (petition)? I'd like to think that they are just not aware rather than knowing it's an issue for many and just ignoring it.

Even if the answer is no, at least we would have a foundation upon which to make further decisions (i.e. aftermarket).
Its hard to imagine Ford not knowing that bike racks are desirable features - On any day on a highway drive of a few hours, we are likely to come across a few vehicles with bikes on the back. May Ford vehicles at that. I suspect there are other reasons for it - not sure what though.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
just checking in.... any news on either official Ford option or aftermarket Hitch?

I don't need to tow a motorhome or horse trailer; but I sure would rather a 1-1/4" receiver mount bike rack than a roof rack or some crazy strap-on solution.

I took a look today at the one and only Mach-e circulating around NM Ford dealerships, and looking under the rear bumper area I am guessing it's going to be a real trick to figure this out... even after market.

;(

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
just checking in.... any news on either official Ford option or aftermarket Hitch?

I don't need to tow a motorhome or horse trailer; but I sure would rather a 1-1/4" receiver mount bike rack than a roof rack or some crazy strap-on solution.

I took a look today at the one and only Mach-e circulating around NM Ford dealerships, and looking under the rear bumper area I am guessing it's going to be a real trick to figure this out... even after market.

;(
Let's clear this up. Mache in North American no towing. Aftermarket, I bet as soon as someone finds out it will be everywhere. Right now no sorry. In time who knows.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Let's clear this up. Mache in North American no towing. Aftermarket, I bet as soon as someone finds out it will be everywhere. Right now no sorry. In time who knows.

well, I just inquired at eTrailer and TorqLift.... so we'll see what the response is

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
well, I just inquired at eTrailer and TorqLift.... so we'll see what the response is
Man, I hope something does come out. More options the better. Just want to keep the info true here. Who knows, maybe someone will come up with something. Also, ford has said the mache build today might not be the same next year. Things can and will change.

EVmodeler

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD ER IB Job 1
Occupation
Engr Prof emeritus
Country flag
As has been documented with sources in this thread, it is mostly a difference in speeds allowed for towing in US vs EU. Many identical vehicles have significant tow capacity in EU, yet zero/not allowed in US. Different rules, not different vehicles.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Man, I hope something does come out. More options the better. Just want to keep the info true here. Who knows, maybe someone will come up with something. Also, ford has said the mache build today might not be the same next year. Things can and will change.
Yes but you can't OTA update a hitch onto the car. :(

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
For those of you still asking question abouit why the towing capacity in the US/CA vs EU/UK is different I invite you to watch this AleX on Autos video that explain's it very well. I have post this earlyer on but I think it's a good time to redo it has many more people are asking the same question.

mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
Many/most of us asking about a hitch want no toe capacity. We just want the hitch to mount a bike rack (or other rear hitch-mounted accessory).

This is an SUV and it's supposed to have utility.

All its competitors have factory tow hitch options (or it's standard). I'm thinking the option on the model Y and it's standard on the AWD id4.

This isabig deal. I don't know how we get that message to the decision makers at Ford and team Edison.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Many/most of us asking about a hitch want no toe capacity. We just want the hitch to mount a bike rack (or other rear hitch-mounted accessory).

This is an SUV and it's supposed to have utility.

All its competitors have factory tow hitch options (or it's standard). I'm thinking the option on the model Y and it's standard on the AWD id4.

This isabig deal. I don't know how we get that message to the decision makers at Ford and team Edison.
They have heard it and answered it in video Q&A sessions -- aftermarket.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The amount of range lost towing in an EV wow. Yes, still you have the option I understand. But with towing and weather could be a lot of stops charging if it's a long haul.
Good video. There is also a video of a family with a model x towing and they lose half of the range they get.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
The amount of range lost towing in an EV wow. Yes, still you have the option I understand. But with towing and weather could be a lot of stops charging if it's a long haul.
Good video. There is also a video of a family with a model x towing and they lose half of the range they get.

I'm not interested in towing an EV, I just want to pick stuff up from the hardware store, like plywood and drywall. ?

Last edited:

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag