Towing capacity?

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Would have made life so much easier if they had just included that on ours, too. :(
This kind of seemingly arbitrary thing happens a lot. I wonder if there is some stupid regulation or something we don't know about that makes this so much more difficult in the US?
Sponsored

Reactions: Nak

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
This kind of seemingly arbitrary thing happens a lot. I wonder if there is some stupid regulation or something we don't know about that makes this so much more difficult in the US?
I think it is because of the differences in towing regulations in US and EU. Their capacities are much higher for the same vehicle because many of their roads are slower and on faster roads there is a slow trailering limit.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
At least they're sticking with the tow hitch being available in Europe. That should mean that there are mounting points that aftermarket options in the US can use.
There are two problems with that. First, looking at how that hitch mounts, it doesn't look like that confirms there will be a place for an aftermarket receiver. It doesn't rule it out either though. Second, the user manual specifically prohibits towing. That has a lot of negative consequences for someone who chooses to tow. I know Tesla can tell if a car has ever been used to tow. Towing with the 3 voids the powertrain warranty. If Ford can track towing, I'm guessing your drivetrain warranty goes away with the Mach-e as well. Additionally, if you are in a wreck while towing you could be opening yourself up to life altering liability. Many policies void your coverage for illegally towing. Just picture trying to defend yourself against a lawsuit involving an accident while towing. "Your honor, I know the owner's manual said not to tow, but I'm a lot smarter than the bozos who designed and built this car." That's just not going to go over well with a jury.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's the US regulations that are the stupid ones. It may well be true in this case, or it may be that the European regulation is faulty. Without knowing the specifics, you really don't know.

Obviously there is some reason for this. Tesla does the exact same thing with the 3. no towing in the US, towing allowed in Europe. The 3 tow hitch is even remarkably similar to the one shown for the Mach-e. Maybe it's that style of hitch that is prohibited here? It really doesn't look all that strong...

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Nice video on US vs EU towing regulations (posted several pages back):

Stacey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB M class
Occupation
Data Analyst
Country flag
Well generally people in the US drive faster and further with their trailers vs Europe. Speed is the main factor and they may not care to certify it for towing if it drops the range to a ridiculously small number.

Also, How about tongue weight capacity? Ideally enough to equip a hitch carrier and a motorcycle for a track day(500 lbs)....

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
same - curious to see what the aftermarket comes up with
Check @ChasingCoral posts earlier in this thread for some possibilities. For me, I’m likely dine with a hitch even for something as innocuous as a bicycle hitch as none of the Euro style or hidden hitch people do business out here. It would mean cutting and I don’t like that idea much. Frankly I just don’t trust the hitch dealers out here to do a professional job.

This is one of two things I’m very disappointed with in this car. The other being the apparent lack of remote opening capabilities for the Frunk due to the presence of the divider. In my opinion the divider alone renders the Frunk complexly worthless. Add the lack of a hitch and it’s a huge negative for me.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
apparent lack of remote opening capabilities for the Frunk due to the presence of the divider.
It's not the divider that's preventing remote opening of the frunk. Other way around. It's the disablement of the remote opening that necessetates the divider.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
It's not the divider that's preventing remote opening of the frunk. Other way around. It's the disablement of the remote opening that necessetates the divider.
We're talking about two different types of remote opening. We're both correct. The divider is in place because, for some reason (exactly what we're not sure), the internal trunk emergency release is not functional. That appears to be regulatory although I personally can't find any recent on-point NHTSA regulations relating to this. The underlying requirement for an internal release for a trunk (front or otherwise) dates back to the year 2000. That includes the various speed requirements. There are all sorts of similar systems currently in place including Porsche Boxters, 911s (very similar frunk sizes), etc. Both of those require a double push of the keyfob button (as does Tesla btw).

The other type of remote hood release is the one I'm referring to which is via keyfob or Ford pass. The manual is quite specific that those won't work if your car has a divider (or for some came with a divider) in the trunk. There's nothing in the rules I can see where the front trunk release requirements are legally connected with the emergency egress requirements for a trapped in the front trunk standard size 3-year-old child crash dummy. That infers it's been disabled. But it logically makes zero sense unless the emergency release is physically intertwined with the Keyfob release (etc) mechanisms. There's nothing regulatory preventing Ford from having a keyfob hood release at this time as near as I can tell even with a stopgap divider in place. The divider effectively makes the MME frunk on par with a Tesla Frunk -- too small for the standard child test dummy. The current Tesla's have remote keyfob frunk entry.

The last thing I'll add is that there's no guarantee this will be addressed by Ford at any time. There is a statement to that effect but ...

Nothing whatsoever to do with towing though. ;)

Last edited:

faleash

First Name
Felicia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition reserved
Country flag
I'm reading this thread with great interest because I need a tow hitch on my Mach E to carry bicycles on a bike carrier. I reserved a Mach E, but am considering cancelling it after reading the last question of the Q&A session the Mach E Forum had with Ford Managers on Nov. 25.

Question: Will there be a trailer hitch available?
Answer: Not for the U.S.

Why is everyone discussing towing capacity when there isn't going to be a trailer hitch. When you look at photos of the rear underbody, I don't even see how a third party could put a hitch on it due to the casing covering the battery, etc. for aerodynamics.

Am I missing something? I'm in the U.S. and need a 2-inch receiver hitch on my Mach E.
This is exactly me! NEED a 2” hitch! Seems that’s a no brainer for them to offer?!?!

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
This is exactly me! NEED a 2” hitch! Seems that’s a no brainer for them to offer?!?!
Your not the only person that needs a multi-purpose vehicle and not just a cross over wagon or what ever Ford labels this thing. I can't order one without 2000-2400lb towing capabilities.

JBB_JD

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME FE, 22 Escape Hy, 20 Fusion Hy, 20 Escape
Country flag
I might be splitting hairs here and someone else might have typed it but - Owners Manual says not to tow a trailer, I don't think it said not to install a hitch. Like the rest of us, I will wait until my FE arrives in probably early Jan. but I still plan to take it to Invisihitch and have them measure and 'officially' tell us what they can do. FYI - from experience with F-Pace, they did have to cut plastic and they do ship install kits, probably just US. Unless, you are laying on the ground, you cannot see the mounting hardware, only hitch when locked in.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
All i wanted was a hitch receiver so I could mount a bicycle rack. Nothing more.
Someone will make an aftermarket hitch for attaching a bike rack...that will not be an issue. I have a stealth hitch on my BMW and it is great.
Sponsored