Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
For those oy you interesed here's an excellent video from Alex on Auto You Tube channel that explains ratings standard in NA and compare it to EU.

towing ratings EU vs USA
Sponsored

jandkw

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
Just found this thread. I never own a hitch on my car/SUV but plan to put one (Class 2 may be) on my Mach E for eBikes. I will not tow any trailer or anything. It may be an innocent question here. Is it too difficult to put one on by U-Haul or other 3rd party to install one if there is a right hitch and screw holes on Mach E ?

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Just found this thread. I never own a hitch on my car/SUV but plan to put one (Class 2 may be) on my Mach E for eBikes. I will not tow any trailer or anything. It may be an innocent question here. Is it too difficult to put one on by U-Haul or other 3rd party to install one if there is a right hitch and screw holes on Mach E ?
Any trailer shop, garage, welding, tire shop or even audio (don't laugh I had my CMax trailer hitch installed here) can do it. Most hitches come with installation instructions. Getting under the vehicle safely to install the hitch is the hang-up for many.

PSaulet

First Name
Pascal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw Amarok, Tesla M3, Caterham, Annulé Mach e
Country flag
The average towing capacity sought in France is 3,000 to 3,500 lbs, which would be exceptional for a Mach-e and would satisfy many users. Trailers are unbraked up to 1650 lbs, braked beyond. It is unthinkable to install an approved hitch on a vehicle that would not be approved for a certain capacity previously defined by the manufacturer. This value is mandatory to be sure of being insured in the event of a personal injury mainly and to be in good standing with the legislation in force. A Suv with 1600 lbs would be ridiculous, not to the point of making me change my mind on my order but subject to drastically reducing its use ...

bjmsam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'09 Toyota Rav4 V6, '10 Infiniti G37xS, Mach-E GT reserved
Country flag
“When you need to transport a lot of things, or tow a trailer, the car offers a towing capacity of fifteen hundred kilos.” 3,300 lb towing is reasonable for “a true SUV.” Looks like a good contender among the growing field of options becoming available soon.

Note: The USA site states, "402 hp. 0–60 mph in 4.7 sec. 2,000 lb towing." :(

Last edited:

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
Take a look at the Volvo Electric XC40 Recharge hidden hitch receiver at 3:11, very impressive. Wish the Mach E has something like that
That is very cool. Certainly much better than on the XC-90, where it is an afterthought requiring just cutting up the bumper for installation.

Edit: I see they now have it for the XC-90. Wish they'd had it for our 2016.

Last edited:

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
Take a look at the Volvo Electric XC40 Recharge hidden hitch receiver at 3:11, very impressive. Wish the Mach E has something like that
Meh, not a fan of that. OK for towing, but useless for receiver mounted accessories like bike racks. Hopefully the Mach-e has a real receiver.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

jandkw

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
Meh, not a fan of that. OK for towing, but useless for receiver mounted accessories like bike racks. Hopefully the Mach-e has a real receiver.
Can you explain why it's good for towing but not for bike racks. This is what I intend to have it installed for my bike hitch rack. I'm a new bee on this but I know there are companies that make hidden hitch.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Can you explain why it's good for towing but not for bike racks. This is what I intend to have it installed for my bike hitch rack. I'm a new bee on this but I know there are companies that make hidden hitch.
The first picture only showed a hitch arm with an integrated ball. Bike racks mount into receivers. A later post showed that the ball arm could be swapped out for a receiver, making it work for bikes.

JBB_JD

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME FE, 22 Escape Hy, 20 Fusion Hy, 20 Escape
Country flag
Headquarters for InvisiHitch.com is about 8 miles away. I brought my F-Pace to them to add a receiver. It was their first F-Pace. I plan to do the same for my 1st Edition if it does not have a receiver option when I order. I will update and follow towing posts.

bjmsam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'09 Toyota Rav4 V6, '10 Infiniti G37xS, Mach-E GT reserved
Country flag