Benjamin Kegele

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 21, VW Atlas, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
Country flag
Today I charged my battery to 100% My car is the SR RWD Premium edition and at that time was 55-65Degrees
Ford Mustang Mach-E trip to the mountains 20220320_105404

Then I went to the ski resort, I live at about sea level and the ski resort is at 7200ft. It is 104 miles away from my house and temperatures there were in the low 40's. I thought, if I am lucky, I can make it.

Once I had the first half finished my screen showed 102.9mi with an average of 2.8mi/kwh
Ford Mustang Mach-E trip to the mountains 20220320_183806

The remaining range on the screen was 46mi, unfortunately I did not make a picture.

On my way back it was most of the road downhill, I had at some situations some real good readings such as 10.5mi/kWh
Ford Mustang Mach-E trip to the mountains 20220320_192924

My range barely moved for the first hour or so.
Ford Mustang Mach-E trip to the mountains 20220320_203211

I finally made it home without a charge, return trip showed 103.1 mi and an average of 7.8miles/kWh
Ford Mustang Mach-E trip to the mountains 20220320_203211

Total Trip was 206mi an average of 3.3mi/kWh
Ford Mustang Mach-E trip to the mountains 20220320_203216

I got home with 12 mi on the guess o meter.
Ford Mustang Mach-E trip to the mountains 20220320_203220

I think guess o meter did an excellent job at the beginning, but I wish they had a feature where you can schedule uphill and downhill to be more accurate for the guessing :)

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
Wow that ride down must have been stressful. If you had another passenger you may not have made it.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
My mountain trips have similar results. The one thing that surprised me is the extra energy to climb the mountain is about equal to the extra energy harvested coming back down so the net effect on a round trip without charging is around 3.3 mi/kWh. Same as you acheived.. I am guessing you didn't have e-heat enabled and just used the seat heaters?

OP
OP
Benjamin Kegele

Benjamin Kegele

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My mountain trips have similar results. The one thing that surprised me is the extra energy to climb the mountain is about equal to the extra energy harvested coming back down so the net effect on a round trip without charging is around 3.3 mi/kWh. Same as you acheived.. I am guessing you didn't have e-heat enabled and just used the seat heaters?
No heat at all... we left in warm weather and were all heated up after skiing.

strangeengine

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE (sold after 2mo - suspension sucks!)
Country flag
Nice. Have not been there in years.

We are pretty exclusively Dodge Ridge these days because its so easy to get to and because we have a place above Sonora.

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
That is some serious elevation gain, really cool to see the details on the trip from a fellow SR Mach-E owner.

Spooky

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
How does the Mach-E do going up mountain roads? I remember having a diesel BMW 5 that drove up steep inclines like they were nothing….and a Santa Fe that I wanted to get out and help push. ;)

I’m hoping the torque of the MME is closer to the first. ;)

Cm12

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
Nice write up. My first month with a Mach E had a somewhat similar story, but I sat for hours at a level 2 charger because I was worried I wouldn’t make it back. I didn’t get anywhere near the miles per kWh you got, but I was using the heater because it was in the 40s. Realized I probably would have made it without the stop once I got home. At the time, I didn’t expect so much range on the return trip.

OP
OP
Benjamin Kegele

Benjamin Kegele

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just an update. Did the same trip yesterday.

Left house with 100% 209miles
Outside temp was 55
I had the car plugged in and running for about 20min before I left to have a warm and cossy and preconditioned car. Did not go slow up the mountain.
This time I brought both kids.

When we reached the guessometer showed 67 miles left.

When we gor back to the car at night it was 32F and the guessometer showed 47 miles to go.

Made the 105 ish miles back with no charge and guessometer showed 6 miles left. I took it easy downhill to let regen do its thing.

I wished there was a display to see what speed regen works best.

The only difference this time was: uphill I did not take it easy, I brought 1 more passenger and before we went back I let the car run for about 10 min to warm up the cabin. We also did not spare the heat on our way back.

Just thought I'll keep you posted since the car has a few 1000 miles more on it

jeffvick2005

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 TSX, 2017 Civic, MACHE GT grabber blue
Occupation
CPA
Country flag
Just an update. Did the same trip yesterday.

Left house with 100% 209miles
Outside temp was 55
I had the car plugged in and running for about 20min before I left to have a warm and cossy and preconditioned car. Did not go slow up the mountain.
This time I brought both kids.

When we reached the guessometer showed 67 miles left.

When we gor back to the car at night it was 32F and the guessometer showed 47 miles to go.

Made the 105 ish miles back with no charge and guessometer showed 6 miles left. I took it easy downhill to let regen do its thing.

I wished there was a display to see what speed regen works best.

The only difference this time was: uphill I did not take it easy, I brought 1 more passenger and before we went back I let the car run for about 10 min to warm up the cabin. We also did not spare the heat on our way back.

Just thought I'll keep you posted since the car has a few 1000 miles more on it
Man you have some cojones! 105 miles back when the GOM shows 47….and with heat? We’ll done!
Sponsored