Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!!

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Isn‘t there an option in the settings to turn it off?
And the APIM update to 3.5x turned it back on. Also the latency in that menu makes it so easy to hit by accident. Also I don’t trust the thing with reports of the hatch opening by itself. It hits my garage door it’s hundreds of dollars in damage.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
This happened to me yesterday, about 11 months from when it happened last time and I turned off kick to open.

The car was on, and I had gotten out to open my mom's garage door. I came back to the car, opened the driver door (the car was still on) and I didn't notice the hatch had opened simultaneously with me getting in the car until I put it in drive and got the hatch open warning.

Luckily the car was outside the garage because my mom's door is lower than mine and the hatch might have been destroyed - it would have gotten caught on the opening door. What a disaster that would have been. I need to train myself to monitor the hatch in those situations. I didn't hear it opening due to the noise of the garage door opening.

I just checked and "Hands-Free" liftgate is turned off. I am not sure if that is better, or worse. Probably worse knowing kick to open wasn't the cause.

astrorob

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23MME GTPE, plug-in prius, 99 MBZ C43
Country flag
mine did this sometime in the last two days. 2023 gtpe, so no kick to open hardware. the lift gate hit the garage door but seems to have sustained little to no damage. if someone had tried to open the garage door it would have been a disaster.

there is an old thread like this on another forum where people are speculating a dog, or water or a reflection or something tripped the kick sensor but that can’t be the case for me.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
mine did this sometime in the last two days. 2023 gtpe, so no kick to open hardware. the lift gate hit the garage door but seems to have sustained little to no damage. if someone had tried to open the garage door it would have been a disaster.

there is an old thread like this on another forum where people are speculating a dog, or water or a reflection or something tripped the kick sensor but that can’t be the case for me.
Do you use PAAK or the fob?

ecmme

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3
Country flag
As I mentioned in the other threads - This just happened to me for the 3rd time over the course of a year. I have PAAK set up, the car was unlocked, kick to open feature is on, car was parked in the garage, no pets, no rain. The hatch hits the closed garage door because there is about a foot of clearance between the closed door and the car. The hatch opens when I am away from the car - I go into the garage and discover the hatch has opened at some point earlier.

It -seems- like the problem might occur the day after a software update - at least this was the case the most recent time. Not sure if OTA is related. I'll be installing padding on the garage door itself since I now have 2 scratches.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As I mentioned in the other threads - This just happened to me for the 3rd time over the course of a year. I have PAAK set up, the car was unlocked, kick to open feature is on, car was parked in the garage, no pets, no rain. The hatch hits the closed garage door because there is about a foot of clearance between the closed door and the car. The hatch opens when I am away from the car - I go into the garage and discover the hatch has opened at some point earlier.

It -seems- like the problem might occur the day after a software update - at least this was the case the most recent time. Not sure if OTA is related. I'll be installing padding on the garage door itself since I now have 2 scratches.
Out of curiosity, do you have the foot wave to open setting turned on?

Kopytka

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range
Country flag
Just to add to the reports, I have had the trunk open three separate times (in about 2 years of ownership) on it's own. I exclusively use PaaK, and do have the foot kick enabled/working.

It has happened in the parking lot of a store, and twice at home (once with the car in the garage, once on the driveway). Two have occurred as I approached the car (Phone locked, so no possibility the function was inadvertently pressed in FordPass), and one as I walked away (again, phone locked).

Out of the thousands of times I've approached/left the car, this is obviously a pretty small percentage. Unlike others, I did not end up with any damage thankfully. My car is a '21 Premium Job 1 that has always been behind (stuck) on Sync updates, for what that's worth.

Side note: the one time it happened in the wild, it was pretty amazing as I had both arms full of stuff and was most certainly going to be using the kick-to-open once I got to the car --- but, lo and behold, about 10' away it just popped open on it's own.

ecmme

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3
Country flag

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, the kick to open is enabled.
I swear that is the culprit. Once I disabled it on my 2021 it never happened again.

ecmme

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3
Country flag
I swear that is the culprit. Once I disabled it on my 2021 it never happened again.
Thanks - I've been holding off on disabling it because I do really like the feature. But maybe I'll go ahead and disable it.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks - I've been holding off on disabling it because I do really like the feature. But maybe I'll go ahead and disable it.
I can’t say for sure and @Ford Motor Company seems to be silent on this 17 page long problem, but I had it happen twice, then I disabled the kick sensor and it never happened again in my 2021.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
After my hatch hit my garage door right after bringing my car home, I turned off kick-to-open. It did happen one more time after that, though. So I turned KtO back on recently. No recurrence, but KtO never works for me. I look like an idiot standing there, kicking around under the bumper and hitting my shin on the car. I think I will just turn it off again. It is useless for me.

grinder

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
I would take it to the dealer. What good is a great feature if you have to disable it. Find a good dealer and have them fix it.
Sponsored