Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
IIRC, I was told by a Ford person that 3.5.3.3 was supposed to install regardless of the automatic update setting. Ok. That explains one. But I know 3.5.3 installed itself as I got temporarily stranded at the grocery store.
That is so weird. My car is the opposite. I think 3.5.3 might have installed while driving because I looked up and notice the blue Alexa circle when it wasn't there when I started that trip. But the A/C button relocation waited to occur during a boot up so I guess 50/50 on that one.

My car asked about 3.5.3.3 and I didn't accept.
What happened when 3.5.3 stranded you? Were you unable to get into your car or would it just not start? Was there a message on the screen that said it was updating and you had to wait? My Jeep 4xe had that one time. It said it was updating and gave the time remaining. It did ask me not to drive it until finished but I that was just a recommendation. If I NEEDED to drive then I could just start the Jeep and the update would cancel and try again later.

Ford Mustang Mach-E TSB 22-2404 - Revised TSB for Stuck USB Updates 1667925072466
Sponsored

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
That is so weird. My car is the opposite. I think 3.5.3 might have installed while driving because I looked up and notice the blue Alexa circle when it wasn't there when I started that trip. But the A/C button relocation waited to occur during a boot up so I guess 50/50 on that one.

My car asked about 3.5.3.3 and I didn't accept.
What happened when 3.5.3 stranded you? Were you unable to get into your car or would it just not start? Was there a message on the screen that said it was updating and you had to wait? My Jeep 4xe had that one time. It said it was updating and gave the time remaining. It did ask me not to drive it until finished but I that was just a recommendation. If I NEEDED to drive then I could just start the Jeep and the update would cancel and try again later.

Ford Mustang Mach-E TSB 22-2404 - Revised TSB for Stuck USB Updates 1667925072466
Updating, have to wait message. I think it said 10 minutes. I stowed the groceries walked to Starbucks (100 feet away), got an Americano (so they couldn’t serve me old coffee if I just asked for a cup of coffee), strolled back and it was ready. Less than 10 minutes.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I might add @SnBGC, that this appears to be a one off occurrence compared to the rest of the population here on the forums. I’m not sure what to make of that. I honestly no longer recall if 3.5.4 auto installed or not. It’s possible I switched it back to Automatic updates “on“ for that one. Or not.

Things are working well this morning with the car. About 40 miles of driving and no audio buzz, no CarPlay issues, no PAAK issues since I disconnected the battery ground this past weekend. I think it was @dtbaker61 who mentioned the various escalating self help possible solutions for this. The last one worked. Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
That is interesting. Last update I accepted is 3.5.2 and Alexa appeared and the A/C button was relocated. I never saw nor accepted a notice for 3.5.3. The next notice I received was for 3.5.3.3 which I just let expire and it hasn't returned.

@Kamuelaflyer and I suspect that 3.5.3 installed by itself. Does that sound possible? Perhaps 3.5.2 and 3.5.3 are part of a single update that split into two parts? So accepting the first might have also accepted the second. Makes sense because the release notes did say something about this one taking a little while longer. I didn't get the Alexa icon or A/C button relocation until much later in the day (if I remember correctly...)

1667923023726.png
You got 3.5.2 on Oct 5th and 3.5.3 on Oct 13th. Sure you didn't recall accepting 3.5.3?

Things are working well this morning with the car. About 40 miles of driving and no audio buzz, no CarPlay issues, no PAAK issues since I disconnected the battery ground this past weekend. I think it was @dtbaker61 who mentioned the various escalating self help possible solutions for this. The last one worked. Fingers crossed.
I also recommend manually clearing out codes after the updates to start with a clean state, disconnecting the battery would also accomplish that. I have not really had many issues either but I clear codes every so often.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I also recommend manually clearing out codes after the updates to start with a clean state, disconnecting the battery would also accomplish that. I have not really had many issues either but I clear codes every so often.
Indeed you did now that I think of it. I tried each step including clearing codes and checking the issues but the issues didn’t clear until after the battery disconnect. I didn’t set PAAK up until yesterday. A 50 minute drive today and things seem normal so far. 🤷‍♂️

Fortunately, this appears to be a unique glitch.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
You got 3.5.2 on Oct 5th and 3.5.3 on Oct 13th. Sure you didn't recall accepting 3.5.3?

Now that you mention it, I met up with @macchiaz-o and @jhalkias on Wednesday the 12th for dinner and there was an update notice on FordPass. I think I remember trying to accept it from my phone but it said I had to do it in the car. I bet I did that when I started driving home. Sounds familiar so I think you are right and I did accept it. đź‘Ť

These updates are constant and never ending. So hard for me to keep track....

redditn00b92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E CR1
Country flag
Does the new TSB provide instructions for repairing the Gateway module?

A dealer successfully ran module update repair for APIM back in July according to FDRS but my vehicle still cannot receive USB updates (doesn't recognize the USB device). This makes me think something is wrong with my Gateway. Most folks on other threads have said I likely need a new APIM as well because it was locked out when they were doing BlueCruise updates.

If anyone has an active FDRS and feels like seeing if I have any new updates, here's my vin:

VIN: 3FMTK2R75MMA36395

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Does the new TSB provide instructions for repairing the Gateway module?

A dealer successfully ran module update repair for APIM back in July according to FDRS but my vehicle still cannot receive USB updates (doesn't recognize the USB device). This makes me think something is wrong with my Gateway. Most folks on other threads have said I likely need a new APIM as well because it was locked out when they were doing BlueCruise updates.
No. Module update repair was completed successfully on July 13th, and should have never been run again after that. The dealer didn't try to update the APIM afterwards like they should have. Since then, module update repair has been run numerous times so you have a locked APIM, and the only way you're going to fix things is to replace it. So hopefully you've got your APIM order in, otherwise you need to take it to a dealer and get that process started.

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
The companion CSP 22B08 program has been expanded today that will allow you get this TSB done at your dealer for free. If you haven't been getting any OTA updates in your Job 1 2021, I strongly encourage you to get this done before the program expires in April. Otherwise your car may never receive OTA updates again.

redditn00b92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E CR1
Country flag
The companion CSP 22B08 program has been expanded today that will allow you get this TSB done at your dealer for free. If you haven't been getting any OTA updates in your Job 1 2021, I strongly encourage you to get this done before the program expires in April. Otherwise your car may never receive OTA updates again.
Thanks for this update! I'll plan to get mine in before April. For those who need a new APIM, will this likely cover that as well?

grovep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME extended range
Country flag
We have an updated TSB for fixing issues getting USB updates to work when updating with FDRS. This bulletin supersedes TSB 22-2150 (AKA the fix for stuck Power-Up 1.7.1 update). The TSB now mentions the possibility of stuck GWM USB update being caused by this issue as well (in addition to APIM and TCU). There are also additional warnings related to the APIM being permanently locked out when this procedure is used incorrectly, and a couple of additional figures showing how the USB adapters should be connected together. The previous TSB also showed the wrong trim panel being removed from the F150.

I want to emphasize Module Update Repair in FDRS should be used with caution. Both @Mike G and myself have seen dozens of vehicles where dealers ran Module Update Repair unsuccessfully and ended up permanently locking the APIM (SYNC) module so that it can never be updated again. In most cases, it seems they tried to run the procedure without having the required USB adapters connected, or ran it too many times. There is a 20-day countdown timer that starts the first time Module Update Repair is run (see bold blue caution statement below). If the procedure is not completed successfully in that initial 20-day window, or run more than 15 times, the APIM will be permanently locked, and the only way to fix it is to completely replace the APIM. Because so many dealers have accidentally "bricked" APIMs running this procedure unsuccessfully, APIMs are currently on a multiple-month backorder.

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 22-2404 31 October 2022
Unable To Update The APIM, TCU Or GWM With The FDRS And USB Drive - Module Recovery

This bulletin supersedes 22-2150.

Models:

2021 Bronco
2021 Edge
2021 F-150
2021 Mustang Mach-E
2021 Nautilus

Summary

This article supersedes TSB 22-2150 to update the Service Procedure.

Issue: For some 2021 Mustang Mach-E, F-150, Edge, Nautilus and Bronco vehicles technicians may experience the inability to update the accessory protocol interface module (APIM), telematics control unit (TCU) or gateway module (GWM) using the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) and Universal Serial Bus (USB) drive. The PTS – OTA Dashboard on vehicles with this condition may also display multiple APIM and/or TCU updates have failed, and/or a no OTA history message. In addition, on vehicles with this condition, the customer may have reported experiencing a Ford Power-Up software update failure message via the vehicle display and/or FordPass/LincolnWay. This may be due to an internal software error. To correct this condition, follow the Service Procedure to update and/or recover the APIM/TCU.

NOTE: Only 10% of vehicles may require this procedure.

Action: Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:

• 2021 Mustang Mach-E/F-150/Edge/Nautilus/Bronco
• Inability to update the APIM, TCU or GWM using the FDRS and USB drive

Special Tool(s)

USB-to-Ethernet adapter: Trendnet TU2-ET100 USB2.0, Trendnet TU3-ETG USB 3.0, Startech USB31000S USB 3.0, UGREEN USB USB 3.0 model no 40321, Amazon Basics USB 3.0 U3-GE-1P. These adapters have been validated through Ford service testing.

Mini B 5 Pin Female Adapter: Rotunda Part# CCMUSB-AF-BF5 or equivalent (Vehicles with USB Media Hub)

USB 2 Cable - Male to Male: Rotunda Part# CCMUSB2-AM-AM-10 or equivalent (All vehicles)

Ethernet cable assembly, obtain locally (All vehicles)

NOTE: Ford has received feedback from technicians that the following USB-to-Ethernet adapters do not work and should not be used: TP-Link USB3 - 10/100/1000, Cable Creations 10/100/1000 USB3, UGREEN USB2 - 10/100, Cable Leader USB 2.0, UGREEN ‎FBA_20256. In the near future, a list of good/bad USB-to-Ethernet adapters will be published on PTS > Service Tips.

Service Procedure

CAUTION: Due to Ford cyber security requirements, the module repair procedure outlined in this article is limited to a maximum of 15 attempts with a total of 20 days from the first time the application is run before the application is permanently disabled for each unique VIN. Make sure that all required and compatible tooling listed in this article is available prior to performing this procedure to reduce the chances of encountering this lockout state. If a lockout occurs, module replacement may be necessary. Note that even if the application is run successfully, the 20 day timer (allowing 15 attempts) continue to run in the background. If the module repair application has successfully completed in the past, it is not required to be run again.

NOTE: Administrative access on the laptop computer being used is required to perform this procedure. Make sure any antivirus software loaded in the laptop computer is disabled or uninstalled prior to performing this procedure.

NOTE: Use only a wireless connection for internet access as this application requires the use of the laptop computer ethernet port during the module recovery procedure. Verify the FDRS is at the latest software level.

See attached PDF for full procedue and pictures:
I am in the UK and have am stuck at Power-UP 1.7.1. In the UK the corresponding TSB in TSB 22-2166. The garge attempted the fix but were unable to disable their Anti- virus and the update failed. I believe the the 20 days time limit will expire in the next few days and therefore the APIM will need to be replaced. Ford in the UK have moved me to another garage with the goal of replacing the APIM. Is this a quick task where the car is in for just one day or is it more involved? Is there anything I need to be aware of/ make sure the garage does?
Thanks

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I am in the UK and have am stuck at Power-UP 1.7.1. In the UK the corresponding TSB in TSB 22-2166. The garge attempted the fix but were unable to disable their Anti- virus and the update failed. I believe the the 20 days time limit will expire in the next few days and therefore the APIM will need to be replaced. Ford in the UK have moved me to another garage with the goal of replacing the APIM. Is this a quick task where the car is in for just one day or is it more involved? Is there anything I need to be aware of/ make sure the garage does?
Thanks
Open dash, remove and replace APIM, reprogram. Should be able to be done in one day. They just need to follow the directions in the TSB precisely, that's all.

redditn00b92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E CR1
Country flag
After several months and a few different dealerships, I was finally able to get a dealer in Austin to take a look at my MME for the stuck updates.

I took it in saying I wasn't able to use BlueCruise and they told me "they currently didn't have the software from Ford" to install any BlueCruise. That sounded like they had no idea what they were talking about. Anyone else heard this?

After that, I then said well, I haven't had updates in over a year. He asked if my SYNC was "slow," which I replied yes because I generally think the older versions are quite slow. Finally, he agreed to have a tech take a look and mentioned it may need a new APIM. It definitely does.

I hope the APIMs aren't still on backorder and that they are able to get this squared away. I will do the updates myself once a new APIM is installed. Such a frustrating experience.
Sponsored