Two Million Ford EV Production Run Rate Cancelled

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
The layoffs were to get rid of those that can't adjust to the new way of working in Model e. Preannounced, Farley basically said they were going to get rid of the deadwood. Historically, they moved them into new jobs. Now, they're cutting them.
The deadwood in Model e was definitely affecting the division culture is what my Ford birdies say. Converting contracts to in-house is another change that might help.

I think the 200,000 reservations not converting at the rate they expected, plus the unplanned shutdowns of the lines, has impacted things quite a bit. Then, the price competition changing demand.
The dealers can be thanked in part for that non-conversion of reservations with ADM games. How many potential buyers were entirely turned off to Ford as a result? Especially with Tesla's simple pricing/buying contrast.

And, yes, no doubt tax credit rules and price cuts by Tesla didn't help.

Long story short, I'm very glad to have bought my Mach-E in 2021 because I would have no doubt been driving something else had I bought last year or even earlier this year.
Sponsored

mwtechy

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Mustang v6, 2021 Mustang MachE Premium AWD Ex
Country flag
I just assumed it was due to current auto loan rates and nothing to do with EVs really, same with no marketing if you're expecting sales to go down on your more expensive cars why bother.

MachKet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered 2022 Mach E select AWD
Country flag
Interest rates and clearly the average EV buyer is going with Tesla right now. Mach-e needs a refresh asap at these prices or undercut Tesla which they can’t afford to do. They are in a tough spot

Last edited:

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Interest rates and clearly the average EV buyer is going with Tesla right now. Mach-e needs a refresh asap at these prices or undercut Tesla which they can’t afford to do. They are in a tough spot
No point in undercutting Tesla right now.

Ford has the ability to make profits on their ICE sales. No need to turn the Mach E into a loss leader to drive revenue.

Plus, they’re probably betting this low price thing is temporary with Tesla. Model refreshes coming soon with a higher price tag likely.

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
No point in undercutting Tesla right now.

Ford has the ability to make profits on their ICE sales. No need to turn the Mach E into a loss leader to drive revenue.

Plus, they’re probably betting this low price thing is temporary with Tesla. Model refreshes coming soon with a higher price tag likely.
I agree. Tesla is blowing out inventory.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Yeah my city is filling up with '23 M3's now that the LR is possible again (I'm half tempted to get a new SR m3 as it's 'cheap' after the fed credit I know I can use, to replace my 11 yr old FFE for my wifes beater). The other day i pulled into my old work and was overwhelmed with m3's and S's. Thought. "WTH is everyone with a Tesla wanting a Culvers shake or something? " (I didn't work at Culvers, but it was in the parking lot) Then noticed they plunked in about a dozen V3 super chargers in front of the 80% empty 4 story building. No magic docks, no surprise. Not that I need a SC next door to me.

Ev Blau

First Name
Ev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
All we need is another natural disaster or refinery fire that takes out a major crude oil plant, gasoline prices will skyrocket, and then everybody will want EVs again due to high gas prices. I think the demand is going to come in waves until things settle down over the next 5+ years. We are also in the "charging doldrums" waiting for NEVI stations to get built.

Ford has also been underestimating demand for new products such as the Mach-E, Bronco, and Maverick. When these vehicles come out, there are a bunch of people that want them all at once, but then the demand decreases as people get what they want. Ford has to switch to a decreasing demand model like consumer electronics rather than the traditional "bell curve".
I just bought gas for my ICE - first time in a long while. Holy cow! It was $4.30/gallon! Of course, I’ve only ever used hi test but, still. And that was with my $.15/gal food store credit. Yikes.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I just bought gas for my ICE - first time in a long while. Holy cow! It was $4.30/gallon! Of course, I’ve only ever used hi test but, still. And that was with my $.15/gal food store credit. Yikes.
Are you saying $4.30 is surprisingly high or surprising low?

Because I remember paying over $4/gallon 15 years ago.

OP
OP
nvabill

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
First of all... why the heck are you even watching Electric Viking? The guy gets everything wrong.
So, just to be clear, are you saying Ford has not scaled back their EV production goals?

Ev Blau

First Name
Ev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Are you saying $4.30 is surprisingly high or surprising low?

Because I remember paying over $4/gallon 15 years ago.
Surprisingly high. The gas prices here lately had been dropping below $4.00 so I was surprised to see $4.45 ( less my discount).

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
So, just to be clear, are you saying Ford has not scaled back their EV production goals?
I suspect they mean that they are a clickbait channel, which are really annoying. It's a big part of why I stopped watching a lot of TFL despite liking them for years. He puts on there that Ford is changing their mind about EVs, which indicates Ford is moving away from them, which isn't true. Also uses the word "cancelled" instead of the reality which is just the projected date being pushed back about a year.

It's also old news, a good month old at this point. All that adds up to bad content and why most earlier in the thread likely avoid this individual. It's like with TFL putting "charging nightmare!" on their channel titles or on the front image and in the video they had to move one station over or something because the first station wasn't working.

Mandretti

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Long Range Red
Occupation
Musician
Country flag
My First Edition is looking better and better - I think once I get BC1.3 and my electronic frunk release I’ll be all caught up, and I have the tailgate kick sensor that works half the time and the parking assistant I’ve never used!!
Same here. After having to wait for two months to get my MME fixed from a fender bender I’m unwilling to turn my vehicle parking over to Fords software and sensors. Besides, the Mustang is such a macho car - what owner is going to let the car do that job for them?

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
I suspect they mean that they are a clickbait channel, which are really annoying. It's a big part of why I stopped watching a lot of TFL despite liking them for years. He puts on there that Ford is changing their mind about EVs, which indicates Ford is moving away from them, which isn't true. Also uses the word "cancelled" instead of the reality which is just the projected date being pushed back about a year.
Electric viking just reads news while showing stock footage nonsense. He grifted 1/3 of a mil off of his wife's cancer, moved away for 2 months or so and seems to be back in a brand new home. Each vid has about 2 minutes worth of actual content and loves him some chinese evs.

TFL's presentation is just poor. Their personalities are that of wet noodles. They pretend to do towing comparisons but fail to incorporate the fact that some days it's 0 degrees, and others it's in the 90s while also randomly selecting their loads. Maybe they'll get there one day, but they really need to look for different on screen talent.

Last edited:

leeman

First Name
Leith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I it's just an expensive golf cart everyone