Using 120v first time

RedDeadRegen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red GT-PE, Premium ER RWD (sold), mk7 GTI
Country flag
I've been using a 110 since delivery in early December. In my experience the preconditioning does take about 3% out of the battery, so when I leave for work i have 87% battery vs 90%.
Sponsored

rzanzerkia

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Acura TL, 2016 MB GLE350, 2021 Mach-e Premium
Country flag
State of charge….in your example, you are charging to 90%. Preconditioning for 20 minutes using battery power should knock a point or two off of that.
Looks like this is exactly what happened.
Remember last night the FP app said following.
"90% charge it should be at 134 miles."

Just as she was leaving I captured the status on FP app.
It showed 88% and 137 miles range (so the range was more that it projected at 90%).

The charge log indicated that car reached 90% level at 11:30 PM last night.
So it DID use 2% of the charge to pre-condition the car this morning.

I will repeat the test but this indicates HV battery used to pre-condition the car.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Right. 110 cannot precondition. Barely could heat the cabin...

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Right. 110 cannot precondition. Barely could heat the cabin...
Cannot precondition alone, you mean? The car still preconditions, right? Just not entirely from 120V alone. Needs to draw some additional power from the battery.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Cannot precondition alone, you mean? The car still preconditions, right? Just not entirely from 120V alone. Needs to draw some additional power from the battery.
Likely not, assuming your definition of precondition is conditioning the battery. Others have posted that if your car is not plugged in at all, they believe that a departure time is basically the same as remote starting, it warms the cabin. If true, I'm saying that being plugged into 110v is the same as not being plugged in in that the battery is drawn down, so it can't possibly be conditioning the battery and warming the cabin.

Absent the use of an app to read the battery temperature, one could try two test on two different days. On day 1, set a departure time with the car plugged in. On day 2, unplug the car after it's done charging (or don't charge it), and then let it do the departure time. Compare the dropoff in battery % charged.

I base this on my experience over 3 years with the Fusion Energi on a 110 charger. It barely warmed the cabin, and drew down the battery.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Likely not, assuming your definition of precondition is conditioning the battery. Others have posted that if your car is not plugged in at all, they believe that a departure time is basically the same as remote starting, it warms the cabin. If true, I'm saying that being plugged into 110v is the same as not being plugged in in that the battery is drawn down, so it can't possibly be conditioning the battery and warming the cabin.

Absent the use of an app to read the battery temperature, one could try two test on two different days. On day 1, set a departure time with the car plugged in. On day 2, unplug the car after it's done charging (or don't charge it), and then let it do the departure time. Compare the dropoff in battery % charged.

I base this on my experience over 3 years with the Fusion Energi on a 110 charger. It barely warmed the cabin, and drew down the battery.
We're getting lots of mixed messages on "preconditioning". Whether it includes battery heating, whether it happens not plugged in, or on 120V, or DCFC. Hell, I'm not even sure it happens at 240V. I don't think we can assume the MME is the same as the Fusion either.

It doesn't make much sense to me that it wouldn't draw from the battery as needed (unless the battery is very low, of course).

It would be nice to find an official source that really knows.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Looks like this is exactly what happened.
Remember last night the FP app said following.
"90% charge it should be at 134 miles."

Just as she was leaving I captured the status on FP app.
It showed 88% and 137 miles range (so the range was more that it projected at 90%).

The charge log indicated that car reached 90% level at 11:30 PM last night.
So it DID use 2% of the charge to pre-condition the car this morning.

I will repeat the test but this indicates HV battery used to pre-condition the car.
That’s exactly what I expected, a few more miles at the expense of a point or two in the SOC. Still keep in mind that the miles of range is just a guess.

Thanks for the update!
Sponsored