OrchidMania

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Premium ER
Occupation
Retired IT, School Math Volunteer
Country flag
It takes 3 days at 120v to charge from 20% to 80%. It’s torture. I have my mobile charger permanently attached to the wall in my garage. At 240v it usually takes 5 hours to bring it back to 90%.

My solution is either plan the trip around level 2, or fast chargers, or use a different vehicle. My backup car is a 45 mpg hybrid.
I consistently get over 50MPG on my accord hybrid. Going to be hard to give up that range but I am ready and starting to condition myself driving at 1/2 full and less now!'

I don't have space on my panel (yet) so will be 120ing it for a bit. Miami Beach requires a stainless steel box for any new installations in my area. The electricians are having supply problems getting a residential stainless box. Contractors hate Miami Beach.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I only use a 120 line since I got the car last Feb......almost at 10000 miles......I use the car for local driving, all trips under, say 60 miles......retired so no daily commute......we have had some really cold temps the last day or so (19 degrees).......I had the car plugged in during that cold spell and according to FordPass, I added an estimated range of 4 miles per hour......during the warmer months I have gotten 5 miles per hour......

now, I have said this before, just as our estimated range is based a lot on our driving style, I believe when I charge with the 120 line, that too is affected by driving styles......since I got the car I have never gotten less than 4 miles per hour of estimated range when charging......for my needs that's enough......

of course, being on a trip would cause more concern using a Level 1 charger......
12 amps X 120v = 1.44 kw

Nobody is getting more than that. If your house gives you 118 volts, you're only getting 1.4 kw. Same is true for 220. My house is supplying 248 volts. I can set my charger for up to 48 amps. 48 X 248 = 11.9 kw. If my house supplied 220, that would be 10.56 kw.

What differs is both size of battery and the distance that someone can go with that amount of charge. Using miles as a measurement is inaccurate and can vary as you note. If I drive at 25mph I can drive further than I can if I drive at 70mph. If I drive in summer I can get more range than if I drive in winter.

A former C-Max owner can probably eke out battery mileage than a new Mach-E owner.

110 will not precondition well. When preconditioning or remote starting when plugged in, I'll bet you lose battery before you leave.

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I consistently get over 50MPG on my accord hybrid. Going to be hard to give up that range but I am ready and starting to condition myself driving at 1/2 full and less now!'

I don't have space on my panel (yet) so will be 120ing it for a bit. Miami Beach requires a stainless steel box for any new installations in my area. The electricians are having supply problems getting a residential stainless box. Contractors hate Miami Beach.
Virtually all electrical equipment is in short supply. The SS requirement must be a very local requirement. Most coastal areas will allow any corrosion-resistant enclosure (PVC or fiberglass). I wonder if it‘s mainly for appearances?

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag

My backup car is also an Accord Hybrid, 2017. Being that it is winter in CT, my winter mpg is 42, summer being over 50. The Accord Hybrid is a great car, gas station trip every 3 weeks.

Right now we are plugging in the MME each night as the cold is a GOM killer.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
I just moved and haven't been able to get an electrician to hook up my charger yet. When I closed on my house, my car was at 24% because I didn't have a good way to charge for about a week. It has taken 68 hours of being plugged into a regular outlet for my car to reach full charge lol

OrchidMania

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Premium ER
Occupation
Retired IT, School Math Volunteer
Country flag
Virtually all electrical equipment is in short supply. The SS requirement must be a very local requirement. Most coastal areas will allow any corrosion-resistant enclosure (PVC or fiberglass). I wonder if it‘s mainly for appearances?
Miami Beach code, for coastal areas. Unfortunately the head of electical code specifically says stainless on coast. This is why conractors hate doing any work on Miami Beach

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
12 amps X 120v = 1.44 kw

Nobody is getting more than that. If your house gives you 118 volts, you're only getting 1.4 kw. Same is true for 220. My house is supplying 248 volts. I can set my charger for up to 48 amps. 48 X 248 = 11.9 kw. If my house supplied 220, that would be 10.56 kw.

What differs is both size of battery and the distance that someone can go with that amount of charge. Using miles as a measurement is inaccurate and can vary as you note. If I drive at 25mph I can drive further than I can if I drive at 70mph. If I drive in summer I can get more range than if I drive in winter.

A former C-Max owner can probably eke out battery mileage than a new Mach-E owner.

110 will not precondition well. When preconditioning or remote starting when plugged in, I'll bet you lose battery before you leave.
I use miles as a measurement because they are the units being used to indicate how much estimated range is being added during charging by FordPass......as I stated, I believe those estimated range miles are are affected by one's driving style......I do not know anything about the tech stuff you wrote......I plug in, get what I get (as listed by Ford Pass).....I don't precondition, never have.....as I said, I get in the car, start it and go on my way....if cold, turn on heated seats, takes less than a mile or so for the seat to heat up.....if hot turn on the AC....

I plugged in 3 hours ago, FordPass says I have added 12 miles of estimated range in 3 hours, and used 3 kWh of energy.....if everyone using a 120 line from their house is getting the same "juice", then what accounts for the different amount of estimated miles provided by FordPass??......I assume it to be driving style.......and yes, as I driver of hybrids and plug in hybrids for over a decade, I am pretty good at maximizing......without being crazy about how I drive.....I try to use common sense.....I remember when I first got license in '64, my uncle said to drive like there was an egg between your foot and the gas, haha......does anyone remember "pulse and glide" from hybrid days??.....

I know I am probably in the minority as far as MME owners are concerned but I use my MME as a car not a device.....I use little of the available tech for whatever reason.....to me it creates fewer problems, hahaha.....

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I use miles as a measurement because they are the units being used to indicate how much estimated range is being added during charging by FordPass......as I stated, I believe those estimated range miles are are affected by one's driving style......I do not know anything about the tech stuff you wrote......I plug in, get what I get (as listed by Ford Pass).....I don't precondition, never have.....as I said, I get in the car, start it and go on my way....if cold, turn on heated seats, takes less than a mile or so for the seat to heat up.....if hot turn on the AC....

I plugged in 3 hours ago, FordPass says I have added 12 miles of estimated range in 3 hours, and used 3 kWh of energy.....if everyone using a 120 line from their house is getting the same "juice", then what accounts for the different amount of estimated miles provided by FordPass??......I assume it to be driving style.......and yes, as I driver of hybrids and plug in hybrids for over a decade, I am pretty good at maximizing......without being crazy about how I drive.....I try to use common sense.....I remember when I first got license in '64, my uncle said to drive like there was an egg between your foot and the gas, haha......does anyone remember "pulse and glide" from hybrid days??.....

I know I am probably in the minority as far as MME owners are concerned but I use my MME as a car not a device.....I use little of the available tech for whatever reason.....to me it creates fewer problems, hahaha.....
The estimated miles is a guess and pretty useless. Similar to the DTE number seen on ICE vehicles.
The important thing is the % charge - equivalent to the fuel gauge on an ICE.

OP
OP
JRT

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
So worked well this morning, the battery was at 88%, and was precondition, a bit when we got in to head to Hospital. My Dad has leukemia and I'm filling in this week to give my sister a break. The good news is I'm feeling much more confident in the MME range now and charging options. There is an EA station just down the road from Emory so I can quick charge to 80%, but honestly probably won't worry. I'll probably leave the MME on the 120 Sunday till I leave late Monday so I can start my return trip at 100% SOC.

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The estimated miles is a guess and pretty useless. Similar to the DTE number seen on ICE vehicles.
The important thing is the % charge - equivalent to the fuel gauge on an ICE.
Well. I guess the term "estimated" would indicate somewhat of a "guess"......I think that the "estimated guess" would be based on something.......and when one is comparing the different "estimated or guesses" that folks get when charging with a 120 line,
you are comparing like values......why does one person "get" 2 miles of estimated range per hour of charging when another "gets" 4+ estimated miles per hour of charging......

and I guess, estimated miles being useless is in the eyes of the beholder.....we estimate all the time and it may not be useless just because it is an estimate....we estimate how long a trip will take, estimate the cost of a job, estimate a snowstorm etc etc.....

maybe not useless??

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Well. I guess the term "estimated" would indicate somewhat of a "guess"......I think that the "estimated guess" would be based on something.......and when one is comparing the different "estimated or guesses" that folks get when charging with a 120 line,
you are comparing like values......why does one person "get" 2 miles of estimated range per hour of charging when another "gets" 4+ estimated miles per hour of charging......

and I guess, estimated miles being useless is in the eyes of the beholder.....we estimate all the time and it may not be useless just because it is an estimate....we estimate how long a trip will take, estimate the cost of a job, estimate a snowstorm etc etc.....

maybe not useless??
I think the point people are trying to make is that the 120V charger supplies a set amount of power to the batteries, that does not vary by car or driving style. When you filled your ICE car up with gasoline, did you say "I went to the station and bought 300 miles worth of gas" or "I went to the station and bought 10 gallons of gasoline?" Its easier and more accurate to discuss charging (and fuel) by the % of battery added or the kwh added, rather than miles. You adding 4 miles per hour with 120V and me adding 2 miles per hour with 120V actually add the exact same amount of battery power to the car.

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I think the point people are trying to make is that the 120V charger supplies a set amount of power to the batteries, that does not vary by car or driving style. When you filled your ICE car up with gasoline, did you say "I went to the station and bought 300 miles worth of gas" or "I went to the station and bought 10 gallons of gasoline?" Its easier and more accurate to discuss charging (and fuel) by the % of battery added or the kwh added, rather than miles. You adding 4 miles per hour with 120V and me adding 2 miles per hour with 120V actually add the exact same amount of battery power to the car.
we are not discussing ICE cars and since the gas shortage in the 70's (if old enough to remember, ha ha) I think some folks will remember figuring 10 gal of gas will get me how far..........
.so, if we are both adding the same juice, why the different estimated range numbers??......it seems to me that there must be some reason for there to be different estimated miles after 1 hour of charging with different cars with different drivers, well I guess the cars are the same, more or less, and it is the drivers that are different......

I know there are many questions and opinions when talking about the GOM, but in my 10000 or so miles with my MME, I have found the GOM or estimated range to be not that far off....I have no stats other than on occasion checking and coming out pretty close to the estimated range......

BTW, I do not mean to be confrontational, that is not my way of doing things, if I come across like that, I am sorry.....life is too short.....

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
we are not discussing ICE cars and since the gas shortage in the 70's (if old enough to remember, ha ha) I think some folks will remember figuring 10 gal of gas will get me how far..........
.so, if we are both adding the same juice, why the different estimated range numbers??......it seems to me that there must be some reason for there to be different estimated miles after 1 hour of charging with different cars with different drivers, well I guess the cars are the same, more or less, and it is the drivers that are different......
We have discussed the estimated range numbers in hundreds of threads. Car config (AWD, RWD, GT, etc), weather, driving style, and highway vs non-highway are the most impactful/obvious reasons that range varies quite a bit from person to person.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

maybe not useless??
To be fair, I said “pretty useless”, not “totally useless!” ?
The “Guess-O-Meter” (GOM) tries to calculate miles based on temperature, driving habits, and other factors known only to Ford and God himself. The numbers are known to be all over the place. That’s why the question of 2 miles vs 4 miles has no good answer.

The point being that too many people have an unhealthy obsession with the GOM, and some of us are trying to offer a more realistic way to evaluate true range.

If you’re a fan of the GOM, that’s fine.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag

Outside temperature and using e-heat has major effect on GOM. My 90% charge on an extended range battery shows 180 miles (200 at 100%), far from the 270 advertised miles per charge. I’m in CT and it’s 20-25 outside. Our driving style is mild.
Sponsored