Using a 12v Car Power Inverter on the Mach-E

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
I have been thinking about getting an AC car power inverter that plugs into the 12v sockets in the front and rear of the car. I thought that this could be useful while camping or during road trips to power things like laptops, phones, charging portable battery packs, etc.

I am wondering if anyone here has tried this yet and what limitations there would be on the plugs so I make sure I get the correct type of inverter.

I was thinking about getting something like this on on Amazon
Sponsored

BlueDvlTxn

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Explorer Sport, 2017 Fusion Energi
Country flag
I had a similar idea a while back - but then decided I could charge everything I needed off USB (type A or C) - so got this from Amazon No need to convert DC to AC just to convert back to DC. Many newer laptops charge off USB C, and this had enough power to support my needs. Works like a champ!

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
We have an inverter that works fine, no reason any wouldn't unless you exceed the outlet's output. Never had a laptop that charged off USB...

OP
OP
Mathington

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
We have an inverter that works fine, no reason any wouldn't unless you exceed the outlet's output. Never had a laptop that charged off USB...
Do you happen to know what the output limit is for the outlet?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Do you happen to know what the output limit is for the outlet?
From the manual:

POWER OUTLET PRECAUTIONS
When you switch the vehicle on, you can use the socket to power 12 V appliances with a maximum current rating of 20 A. Do not use the power point over the vehicle capacity of 12 V DC 240 W or a fuse could blow. Do not plug in any device that supplies power to the vehicle through the
power points. This could result in damage to vehicle systems. Do not hang any accessory from the accessory plug. Always keep the power point caps closed when not in use. Do not insert objects other than
an accessory plug into the power point.

To prevent the battery from running out of
charge:
• Do not use the power point longer than necessary when the vehicle is off.
• Do not leave devices plugged in overnight or when you park your vehicle for extended periods.

OP
OP
Mathington

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
From the manual:

POWER OUTLET PRECAUTIONS
When you switch the vehicle on, you can use the socket to power 12 V appliances with a maximum current rating of 20 A. Do not use the power point over the vehicle capacity of 12 V DC 240 W or a fuse could blow. Do not plug in any device that supplies power to the vehicle through the
power points. This could result in damage to vehicle systems. Do not hang any accessory from the accessory plug. Always keep the power point caps closed when not in use. Do not insert objects other than
an accessory plug into the power point.

To prevent the battery from running out of
charge:
• Do not use the power point longer than necessary when the vehicle is off.
• Do not leave devices plugged in overnight or when you park your vehicle for extended periods.
Thanks for the info! 240w limit it is, good to know this.

hawkeye3point1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White ER RWD, Born on 12 Aug. '21
Country flag

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I had a similar idea a while back - but then decided I could charge everything I needed off USB (type A or C) - so got this from Amazon No need to convert DC to AC just to convert back to DC. Many newer laptops charge off USB C, and this had enough power to support my needs. Works like a champ!
Good idea. The same company also has a higher power option for a few dollars more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09GJTF54...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Thanks for the info! 240w limit it is, good to know this.
this is if you use a 'power outlet'.....

if you use the 12v connection points in the Frunk, and the MME is 'on', the dc-dc converter can safely support up to 160amps from the HV battery to support energy export. Probably best to keep it under 1500watts, but ok to handle a little more for short periods.

Plenty to run a teapot, or an induction cooktop, or a bunch of lights, computer, etc in the house as an emergency generator.
Sponsored