TheStig

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GB Mach-E FE, 2023 Porsche GT4
Country flag
The GT and FE have slightly better choices, but Premium and Select choices are terrible.

I only order cars in colors. IMO, there is only 1 color available and it is Rapid Red. Unfortunately, I couldn't convince my wife to get red, so I begrudgingly compromised and got Infinite Blue, which IMO is barely a color. I can't believe there are 5 greyscales available and 1.5 colors. Where is the regular blue? Where is green? Compare it to the regular Mustang, which has 4 greyscales and 6 colors!

Look, I know that most people now order grey SUVs. I'm not blind. But I think the Mach-E is a special car, and it should be available in special colors. Look at the ordering thread in this forum. Half the orders are in a color (if you count infinite blue as a color). So ~28% of the colors account for ~50% of the orders. Does Ford even know what its own customers want? If this is really a "Mustang" it should be available in Mustang colors, not generic SUV colors.

IMO, we should have choices along the lines of: Red, Copper, Light Blue, Navy Blue, Dark Green, Grey, White and Black.

I also hate the practice of holding back desirable colors for future model years. I know it is a marketing tactic, but I can still hate it.

Ok, rant over. I feel better now.
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
A full vehicle wrap might work for you.
I've seen photos of a pre-production Mach-E with a nice satin dark blue color. Looked great.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
We've ranted about that repeatedly. A bunch of gray and one color, two if you went FE, or three if you go GT.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I wonder if Ford has calculated that they make more money by reserving the WOW colors for the much more expensive models? I'm not so sure about that. I feel like I'm already willing to pay $600 extra for tri-coat white - I'd probably be willing to pay $1-2k extra for Grabber Blue. Seems like Ford would make more money selling the eye-grabbing colors in this way at the Premium level that it does from encouraging a likely smaller number of people to pay $10k extra for a FE of GT.

Are there really so many people who want to pony up (see what I did there?) that much extra money for a GT just based on color that this would outweigh the number of people who would happily buy the nicer colors at a lower price point?

Maybe Ford doesn't care about the money and wants to preserve some exclusivity. As a shareholder I hope that's not the case.

For the time being, I'm settled on Star White with the black interior. That'll make for a screamin' shiny contrast even if it is "just white." I agree on the Infinite Blue and the grays - I don't need a car that matches my tie. The red and black look striking in the showroom pics - especially paired with a white interior - but I seldom see a red or black car on the road that looks good under less than perfect conditions. My wife similarly said "no red car" even when I showed her the pics. As for "space white" I really don't get that crowd LOL. Who wants a flat grayish white?! (Alright, don't hate me, space white guys).

Last edited:

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I wonder if Ford has calculated that they make more money by reserving the WOW colors for the much more expensive models? I'm not so sure about that. I feel like I'm already willing to pay $600 extra for tri-coat white - I'd probably be willing to pay $1-2k extra for Grabber Blue. Seems like Ford would make more money selling the eye-grabbing colors in this way at the Premium level that it does from encouraging a likely smaller number of people to pay $10k for a FE of GT.

Are there really so many people who want to pony up (see what I did there?) that much extra money for a GT just based on color that this would outweigh the number of people who would happily buy the nicer colors at a lower price point?

Maybe Ford doesn't care about the money and wants to preserve some exclusivity. As a shareholder I hope that's not the case.
A lot of MME customers are quite happy with the color choices.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
I agree, the color selections are basically Red, Black, Grey with a little blue, Darker grey, Other grey, White with a little grey, and White. I chose White because at least for a monochrome it has the most "pop", but I wish there were some more actual colors. I'm surprised they didn't go full minivan and add "champagne".

Grabber Blue and the Cyber Orange on the GT are great colors, I wish they were more available. Due to my late order a tiny part of my brain hopes that they run out of Premiums, and give me an offer to upgrade to a GT, which I would grudgingly accept, and then choose the Orange.

Reactions: ARK

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I agree, the color selections are basically Red, Black, Grey with a little blue, Darker grey, Other grey, White with a little grey, and White. I chose White because at least for a monochrome it has the most "pop", but I wish there were some more actual colors. I'm surprised they didn't go full minivan and add "champagne".

Grabber Blue and the Cyber Orange on the GT are great colors, I wish they were more available. Due to my late order a tiny part of my brain hopes that they run out of Premiums, and give me an offer to upgrade to a GT, which I would grudgingly accept, and then choose the Orange.
You forgot shiny gray (silver)

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I'm right with you, the color choices are very unimaginative. Rapid red metallic is what I ordered but the other choices were just so blah.

OP
OP
TheStig

TheStig

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GB Mach-E FE, 2023 Porsche GT4
Country flag
A full vehicle wrap might work for you.
I've seen photos of a pre-production Mach-E with a nice satin dark blue color. Looked great.
I thought about this. I almost ordered black just because it is the easiest color to wrap.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
The GT and FE have slightly better choices, but Premium and Select choices are terrible.

I only order cars in colors. IMO, there is only 1 color available and it is Rapid Red. Unfortunately, I couldn't convince my wife to get red, so I begrudgingly compromised and got Infinite Blue, which IMO is barely a color. I can't believe there are 5 greyscales available and 1.5 colors. Where is the regular blue? Where is green? Compare it to the regular Mustang, which has 4 greyscales and 6 colors!

Look, I know that most people now order grey SUVs. I'm not blind. But I think the Mach-E is a special car, and it should be available in special colors. Look at the ordering thread in this forum. Half the orders are in a color (if you count infinite blue as a color). So ~28% of the colors account for ~50% of the orders. Does Ford even know what its own customers want? If this is really a "Mustang" it should be available in Mustang colors, not generic SUV colors.

IMO, we should have choices along the lines of: Red, Copper, Light Blue, Navy Blue, Dark Green, Grey, White and Black.

I also hate the practice of holding back desirable colors for future model years. I know it is a marketing tactic, but I can still hate it.

Ok, rant over. I feel better now.
Did you just put in your order? If so, if Ford turns your order into model year 2022, because I think model year 2021 is spoken for, you might have some hope that they add some new colors and you can change your order before the vehicle is scheduled for production.

Infinite Blue is a really good color though during the day. I agree at night time, it does look much more grey, but under bright sunlight the blue really comes through nicely.

lotharik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, duh?
Country flag
Infinite Blue is a really good color though during the day. I agree at night time, it does look much more grey, but under bright sunlight the blue really comes through nicely.
+1 to this. While yes it's grey when inside or at night, it's a nice light blue in the sunlight.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Someone on Team Edison likes gray.
i don't think it's the manufacturers. Car buyers want bland colors. Consider that many First Edition buyers still picked boring monochromatic colors. If I could have got Premium in Blue of some sort, no way I would even consider FE.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I agree that the Star White pops more than the other colors available at the Premium trim, even if it is just white. Going Stormtrooper.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
I agree that the Star White pops more than the other colors available at the Premium trim, even if it is just white. Going Stormtrooper.
Sorry, but I think white is for old people. I want nice bright colors

... give us those nice bright colors
... give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day

Sponsored