Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
You have cars near you (and enough of them) that leak oil and fluids so much that they make the roads slippery?

Are you serious or was this just an attempt at an ICE joke?

Modern cars don’t leak oil.

Even classic cars wouldn’t leak enough to make a road noticeably slicker. And there definitely aren’t enough around to make a difference.

Agreed on the OP getting a better tire though.
Pretty sure he’s referring to the phenomena of super slick roads when it rains after an extended period (95 days) of no rain. It’s a real issue in some places.

That said, OP needs to find some good Summer tires or perhaps UHP A/S tires if light snow occurs there in winter. Goodyear Exhilarate and Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4 are best AS available right now based on TireRack test results data.

Lmfao at trading the car in though.
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Pretty sure he’s referring to the phenomena of super slick roads when it rains after an extended period (95 days) of no rain. It’s a real issue in some places.

That said, OP needs to find some good Summer tires or perhaps UHP A/S tires if light snow occurs there in winter. Goodyear Exhilarate and Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4 are best AS available right now based on TireRack test results data.

Interesting. Learned something new today.

Doesn’t seem to be an issue in Florida, but we also don’t go that long without rain.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I haven't disabled anything, I can see the traction light when I tested straight acceleration. It works pretty good in straight line, my problem that vehicle starts sliding away when you turn the wheel :)
The lateral grip of the Mach-E isn't that great on the skinny 225s even on dry pavement. I've taken a MME on a couple of test drives on a sweeping overpass off of I-5 in North Seattle and the stock tires did not give me any confidence.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag

I know the Michelin A/S4s are a little better in the snow, but as someone with A/S3+ tires on my GT350, I really wouldn't want to trust them very much in a snowy winter (my A/S3+ tires got stuck pretty hard in ~1" of icy snow).

For my Wife's GT, we are planning to see how the stock tires do, and if not happy I am looking at the Cross Climate 2's. A little bit of a compromise elsewhere, but should be a great all season for the snowy months.

Edit: I will say that the Pirelli Cinturato P7 tires on my Wife's current Mini Countryman as similar is size to the Mach-e tires and have been quite good to us.

Last edited:

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
AWD helps with acceleration but not braking or cornering.
Not true for cornering. AWD can accelerate out of curves sooner or through curves when RWD definitively cannot. This is even more the case in AWD with traction control.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Gonna post this again because it seemed to get missed, the best brand for wet performance right now is Vredestein and the one to go with in 18" is the Quatrac Pro

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/spiderChart.jsp?ttid=244

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=272

here is a link to all of TR's test data

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/TireTestServlet?tireMake=Vredestein
Yes, they can be the best depending on which category of tire you’re shopping for. Right now in UHP A/S it’s the Goodyear as far as wet capability goes. For some reason the Vredesteins don’t grade out as high in the UHP A/S category. If you’re ok with a softer Grand Touring A/S that will sacrifice cornering and braking grip as well as steering feel, the Quatracs are a great choice, especially where light snow happens frequently.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=266

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=259

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Not true for cornering. AWD can accelerate out of curves sooner or through curves when RWD definitively cannot. This is even more the case in AWD with traction control.
Careful, that depends greatly on the car and the specific cornering balance of the suspension tuning, ability to put power down etc. I’ve driven Audis that are understeering messes in tight twisties whereas my current rwd car can put down 475Hp very well on corner exit, with stability control in competition mode or full off. Lots of variables.

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
My AWD has been awesome in the rain here in GA. The only issue I had was hitting a big puddle of standing water on highway that almost sent me into median. Took foot off of go pedal and she straightened back out. That being said, I will be putting Continental Extreme Contact DWS Plus 245's on my car when I replace the tires. According to Discount tire, they should fit my standard Premium wheels.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Careful, that depends greatly on the car and the specific cornering balance of the suspension tuning, ability to put power down etc. I’ve driven Audis that are understeering messes in tight twisties whereas my current rwd car can put down 475Hp very well on corner exit, with stability control in competition mode or full off. Lots of variables.
Duly noted. A poorly balanced AWD is not necessarily better than a well balanced RWD. My point was simply to push back on the overly broad prior post stating AWD doesn’t help when breaking or cornering.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Dry pavement yes, in an aquaplaning situation no. Wider wheels/tires will have a lower coefficient of friction. More surface area. Maybe you want 215s.
Your post is very true. Friction depends on the pressure (pounds per square inch) between the surfaces, so a wider tire will apply less pressure because it increases the area for the same weight thus less pounds per square inch. I would recommend adding more air pressure to harden the tire and reduce flexure that increases the surface area (foot print) on the road. Buy tires with more channels to displace water faster and reduce its lubricating effect. I live in a very rainy area ( we are in hurricane season now) so good tires are vital to our safety when we drive.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Duly noted. A poorly balanced AWD is not necessarily better than a well balanced RWD. My point was simply to push back on the overly broad prior post stating AWD doesn’t help when breaking or cornering.
Except that the “broad post” was accurate.

He said it helps with acceleration.

Your counterpoint was about “accelerating out of a corner.”

If anything, all else being equal, adding AWD to a vehicle should hurt cornering and braking ability (added weight).

To be fair though, part of what the OP is concerned with is acceleration as he’s spinning the rear tires. AWD might be a solution, albeit the most expensive solution. Like most have said, start with tires.

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
My test drive was in a very light rain, because it never rains in CA any more, and it was pretty easy to spin the tires even with the AWD. It was only for a second because the car stopped anything crazy. I have to admit that it makes me hesitant of the RWD in the rain, especially if I had to make a fast turn into traffic.

I also think every reviewer who put any kind of cornering stress on the car got the tires to screech pretty easily. They aren't the best tires for that sort of thing.

I don't think I've seen any real test of the car, especially the RWD, in the rain or snow. Wait, I think Redline took an AWD out in the snow and it did fine.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Wider tires would also push more water and have a greater tendency to hydroplane.

Wider isn't always better.
but, the old Pontiac Grand Prix commercials told me otherwise! ?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Very slippery when wet. Looking for advice 1632146912958
Sponsored