jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Somehow I didn't know this is a thing until today, coming out around the same time as Mach E in the US... 2021 model available fall 2020

0-60: 4.7 sec
233mi range (wltp, so less for epa rating)
402 hp
AWD
78 kWH battery
Cargo: 14.5 to 48.5 cf
Can do towing and roof rails
~55K pre tax rebate

Does have a couple of nice specs, like the 0-60 and I think the charge rate is faster than Ford. The towing and rails doesn't matter to me, but to some that is important... The low cargo space with the seats up and to a lesser extent the lower range are enough for me to prefer the Mach E over it.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We've talked about it in the other Mach-e forum. That's my #1 potential backup if the Mach-e has any gotchas I don't like.

It is a shorter vehicle (so less cargo space in the back, although it's more of a true SUV shape in the back as opposed to the Mach-e's lower slope). But the power (408 hp), and the included AWD with equal motors on both axles is impressive. I like the SUV shape better.

Plus it was designed to have a battery pack or a motor. So the ICE version in showrooms today is basically the same as the BEV will be, so people can see the vehicle now.
volvo-xc40-recharge-2020.jpg

https://insideevs.com/news/394590/volvo-opened-order-books-xc40-recharge/

JSAlexVa

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD
Country flag
XC40 Recharge is also on my backup list. I test drove the ICE Model with a friend and I was really impressed. Then I found out about the Recharge and I’m keeping an eye on it. The seats were soooo comfortable! But the predicted US range is a bit pathetic....200 miles. They are est more than 250 in Europe....but we all know that’s on the high side.

txaggies07

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE FE Rapid Red
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I like it except two things.
1) I hate the screen and UI
2) I hate the AC vents next to the screen with a passion

These are both cosmetic things so I understand others may like them.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I completely agree with you on #2. Those look awful. It's the first thing that stands out to me as a "wish it didn't have those" when I look at the inside. Those vents just look goofy.

I do wish the screen were bigger. As I understand it though, the Recharge is suppose to get a whole new native Android UI. At least that's the way I interpret the info on it.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Anyone know whether or not the new Android UI supports Android Auto?
I would hope so - they needed something as a test platform, and their own OS makes the most sense. It's not like they're blackberry :cool:

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I would hope so - they needed something as a test platform, and their own OS makes the most sense. It's not like they're blackberry :cool:
I'm not sure what you mean. What is it that they're testing?

I dug through Google's documentation, but couldn't find any mention of Android Auto (or Apple CarPlay) support in Android Automotive OS. I ran their Polestar 2 emulator and didn't see it in there, either.

Maybe it's just up to Volvo and GM as they each decide how to customize it. I was just curious if anyone had seen any news from Volvo about that, yet. Seems like they've been pretty tight lipped, so we'll have to wait and see.

I'm thinking this won't end up being much different from the Android mobile OS already being used in other brands like Honda and Hyundai, except this one will be a much newer version (9.x instead of 4.x, for instance), and adapted for vehicles by Google and the OEMs instead of just the OEMs hacking it together on their own.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'm not sure what you mean. What is it that they're testing?
In order to test the server (phone), they need a reference client implementation (entertainment system). It would make sense to use their own OS on both sides. It doesn't mean they did, but it would kill 2 birds with one stone. If you are asking about the blackberry comment, they didn't have a common OS among their phones - at least that's what I was told by a former blackberry developer.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Apparently Volvo/Polestar was planning on a smaller battery until the Model 3 came out with its ~75kWh battery. That made Volvo go, "oh..."

Even so, 200ish miles of range in the US is at best, highly inconvenient, especially if the vehicle is one's primary/only vehicle. The Polestar 2 has the same EV platform and has an estimated 275mi range which is actually viable.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid Sport Turismo
Country flag
Volvo has had a problem with battery technology, in terms of getting the maximum range per kWh; their PHEVs are among the worse in the industry in this manner. I would be getting any BEV for local driving only, so any range 180 miles or greater would be fine with me. The XC40 looks way better overall (features-wise) than the Mach-E to me, though the Mach-E may get slightly better range and have more cargo space (and I think that the Mach-E may look better on the exterior, though the XC40 far surpasses the Mach-E in interior looks except for those dorky vents, noted by others). The XC40 may also be cheaper than the Mach-E, but at worst it'll be about the same; and Volvo will lose their US tax credits much later than Ford will. The Polestar 2 is also coming out at the end of this year, presumably with better range, and it's a crossover hatchback that's more carlike than SUV-like.

As for Android and Carplay, I assume that the XC40 PHEV will have it, as all Volvos do now. But the Google OS going into the XC40 PHEV and Polestar 2 may be so comprehensive that you won't need to hook your Android phone into the computer screen -- it should, in fact, be superior to anything that Android or CarPlay apps from your phone can add, and that's why Volvo is killing off their dreadful Sensus infotainment system and bringing in the Google OS, which will have Google Maps standard. I'm assuming that apps can be brought in to the car also, without a phone -- like Waze.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
We've talked about it in the other Mach-e forum. That's my #1 potential backup if the Mach-e has any gotchas I don't like.

It is a shorter vehicle (so less cargo space in the back, although it's more of a true SUV shape in the back as opposed to the Mach-e's lower slope). But the power (408 hp), and the included AWD with equal motors on both axles is impressive. I like the SUV shape better.

Plus it was designed to have a battery pack or a motor. So the ICE version in showrooms today is basically the same as the BEV will be, so people can see the vehicle now.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Volvo XC40 Recharge volvo-xc40-recharge-2020

https://insideevs.com/news/394590/volvo-opened-order-books-xc40-recharge/
Open in "select" markets. If you hail from the Northern Midwest, don't expect to be on the list anytime soon.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid Sport Turismo
Country flag
The XC40 PHEV is being made in Belgium. Thus, the east coast of the USA is going to see them before everybody else in the US does.

Volvo says that "several thousand firm orders" for the XC40 Recharge P8 PHEV have been received, from a stories posted yesterday:

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1126872_volvo-opens-orders-for-xc40-recharge-electric-car

https://www.thetorquereport.com/vol...charge-p8-awd-orders-are-off-to-a-good-start/

The XC90 PHEV (Volvo's largest SUV) will be produced at the Charleston, SC, plant beginning in late 2022.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
As for Android and Carplay, I assume that the XC40 PHEV will have it, as all Volvos do now. But the Google OS going into the XC40 PHEV and Polestar 2 may be so comprehensive that you won't need to hook your Android phone into the computer screen -- it should, in fact, be superior to anything that Android or CarPlay apps from your phone can add, and that's why Volvo is killing off their dreadful Sensus infotainment system and bringing in the Google OS, which will have Google Maps standard. I'm assuming that apps can be brought in to the car also, without a phone -- like Waze.
The existing Sensus infotainment system is already using Android. Here's an article from 2013 about it, for instance: https://www.slashgear.com/volvo-and...connected-touch-infotainment-system-12273436/

Several other manufacturers have also been using Android for years now. Still others use Blackberry QNX (like Ford), or maybe even other options. But none of that really matters. I don't really care what operating system the infotainment is built upon. I just want the vehicle's controls, including infotainment, to be reliable, secure, comprehensive, and responsive.

If Polestar and Volvo's new system lacks Android Auto support, then during the lifetime of vehicle ownership, I won't expect the infotainment to remain secure, comprehensive, or responsive. Insecure because the manufacturer will stop supplying patches, while I'm forced to keep it Internet connected to enjoy vehicle-integrated navigation, streaming music, or voice recognition. Less than comprehensive because the-new-great-thing (e.g. something better than Waze) available through my phone won't also be available to the car. And not responsive, because the processor, RAM, and storage used in the Polestar 2, and probably also in near term Volvo releases, is under-powered compared to current mid-range smart phones and woefully under-powered several years from now. And unlike the phone in your pocket, its hardware won't ever be upgraded.

Furthermore, I don't really want to pay for a mobile hotspot plan for the car.

I can't assume that the Polestar 2 supports Android Auto, even though it itself is running Android Automotive OS. Just recently, FCA announced that Uconnect 5 is Android-based, but won't initially support AA or Apple CarPlay, which means they're not retaining these capabilities from Uconnect 4. Here's a reliable car reviewer detailing what's currently known about Uconnect 5.

riverviewskater

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Subaru 3.6 Outback
Occupation
80/retired
Country flag
I've cancelled My Mustang order......Am going with the XC40 recharge.....Far more power for the same cost......Also, Better ground clearance, Better approach/departure angles and it's a Volvo....Probable better built than Ford.....Paul
Sponsored