jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
The ID4 will do very well I also agree. It's built for a different market and not at the mache or model y. VW wants you to choose the ID4 over ice versions similar to it.
Maybe it will, but most ICE vehicles in that price range have better acceleration. That said, unless you do a lot of driving merging onto a busy expressway it's rarely needed.
Sponsored

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Maybe it will, but most ICE vehicles in that price range have better acceleration. That said, unless you do a lot of driving merging onto a busy expressway it's rarely needed.
One disadvantage BEV's have in the USA compared to the EU, for example, is our inertia favors ICE vehicles. There's been a sea change in the EU regarding BEV's. "We" continue to drive ICE vehicles because we drive ICE vehicles. That will slow down US BEV adoption rates a bit. Just my 2¢ worth, I've been known to be wrong.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
One disadvantage BEV's have in the USA compared to the EU, for example, is our inertia favors ICE vehicles. There's been a sea change in the EU regarding BEV's. "We" continue to drive ICE vehicles because we drive ICE vehicles. That will slow down US BEV adoption rates a bit. Just my 2¢ worth, I've been known to be wrong.
I think we drive ICE vehicles is because there are only a few viable options (if it's CARB state only it isn't viable for 3/4 the country, which unfortunately is over half of the EVs on the market), and all of those BEVs have 1-3 of the following:
1. $10-20K more expensive than an equivalent ICE
2. Greatly lacking in something such as cargo space, passenger room, acceleration, lacking AWD, or range. (This depends on who is purchasing it, but main issue is not enough choices to meet everyone's tastes).
3. From a company that doesn't have a service center within 30 miles.

The Tesla addresses #2.
The Mach E addresses #3, and partial on #2 (for me, still a little low on cargo, no hitch and rails on top is a problem for some, etc but at least less short comings than some)
The ID.4 only addresses #3 (and maybe #2 in the AWD model or people who don't mind slower than ICE).

May be mostly a matter of opinion and may be better in person, but the inside with the white steering wheel looks more tacky than upscale to me. Looks like some models have a black color choices on the inside, but their website doesn't update the pictures. I think the wheel changes with the seats, but the seats don't even change despite being listed as what you are changing. VW could use the improvements to their ordering website.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Agree with both of the above posts. And I'll add one more inhibitor:
  • Lack of sufficient CCS DCFC charging infrastucture prior to now
When people are looking at such an expensive purchase, they usually want a proven track record. And the track record for BEVs is still being written in the early stages. 2020 looks like a tipping point that will open up a whole new tier of customers (like myself) that might seriously consider a BEV purchase, where just 2 years ago they wouldn't have. EA's rapid growth is a big part of that. As are the other reasons others noted.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'll also note that EA is a much bigger selling point than the other networks because (a) it places many chargers strategically along interstates, and (b) it's a single network that has consistency and clarity. Making it EASY.

That can't be said for ChargePoint or the other scattershot chargers floating around out there that have a big mess of different pricing and time limits and power levels. That's just a big confusing PITA for potential mainstream buyers (and even many BEV veterans, I suspect). EA feels like a godsend compared to that mess.

People like consistency and predictability. Especially on things that they're still apprehensive about trusting in the first place (BEVs).

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
Agree with both of the above posts. And I'll add one more inhibitor:
  • Lack of sufficient CCS DCFC charging infrastucture prior to now
When people are looking at such an expensive purchase, they usually want a proven track record. And the track record for BEVs is still being written in the early stages. 2020 looks like a tipping point that will open up a whole new tier of customers (like myself) that might seriously consider a BEV purchase, where just 2 years ago they wouldn't have. EA's rapid growth is a big part of that. As are the other reasons others noted.
I think the biggest inhibitor to date has been cost. The proliferation of low cost EVs with sufficient range than DCFC is only needed for roadtrips will be the watershed moment for adoption.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The one you missed is that the US is a major producer of petroleum, and only a few European countries have any oil reserves at all. Countries like Germany DO have nuclear and renewables (and of course coal) for generating electricity, though.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The one you missed is that the US is a major producer of petroleum, and only a few European countries have any oil reserves at all. Countries like Germany DO have nuclear and renewables (and of course coal) for generating electricity, though.
The biggest irony is Norway. They became a rich country by exploiting their extensive North Sea oil reserves, but they also have the biggest market share of BEVs on the planet.

They're still the 13th largest oil producing country in the world. Talk about having it both ways!

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
yep, he has been wanting the id4 from his other videos. Sounds like he wants the AWD PRO S statement. Keep saying it's all cheaply built but it does look it. Regen talking was good he pointed out how it is different from model y and mache. Overall was a good video.

Last edited:

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Go back and watch. He says quite the opposite, very well built, everything feels good.
typo fred i'm sorry. my fault for not checking. you are correct. He says it is built cheap but they make it seem premium.

My comment was supposed to say does. I didn't check it auto-correct from the phone sorry.
Sponsored