Welp, it’s been nice - canceled order

RCProAM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Welp it’s official: today I canceled my order.

TL; DR
After reserving my Mach-E June 2020, I finally decided to cancel my order, and request for my deposit to be refunded immediately after dealer gave the run around.

LONG STORY
The reason? The dealership model is the most horrible point of the overall experience - if you’ve seen my previous post back in February you’ll understand this is a generous understatement.

The charging network challenges? PAaK? Buzzy screens or wind draft noise? I wish I could say I’d have gotten a feel for the car to actually have an opinion on these — all of which for me amazingly enough weren’t all too concerning or indicative of every car off the lot. The 6 hour test drive was wonderful however. In the end though, it was dealers who ended the experience before it started for me.

Strike one this weekend after handing my CC to reinstate the $500 deposit since it was transferred/refunded from the previous dealership, this guy charged my card for the FULL AMOUNT OF THE FINAL DEPOSIT I MENTIONED I WOULD BE WILLING TO MAKE AT FINAL SALE WHEN I PLANNED TO RETURN. Now, I wasn’t too pressed because I expected to close within the week and I have the funds liquid- I’m trying to maximize my cc points like the next guy. Skeevy, but NBD. So peeved and annoyed - but not deterred, since I knew those funds could be refunded if everything fell through.

Strike two was going in an endless loop with a salesman and then general manager as to whether “Ford Options” was available. I was very up front that (and no disrespect the Mach-e is a WONDERFUL car, obviously if I reserved one last year I believe in it) that the Mach-e was a 2nd choice compared to Audi e-tron sportback that I also had paperwork ready for a 3 yr lease down to the final penny of tax. I knew that if we weren’t talking the option plan, I’d have a hard time justifying to myself paying more for the Mach-e per mo. than an e-tron Sportback (sure lease vs. purchase aren’t the same - but the money leaving my bank account for one vs the other is definitely different ?).

I was clear that it’s likely the resale on EVs could go down year by year as tech evolves - so again the option plan gives me the sense of security/flexibility I’m comfortable with. I was transparent that because my wife is shopping for a new Subaru, if the Ford Options plan (which IMO elevates it past the e-tron for me) wasn’t available, there’s a whole other car that I’d be ready the purchase that isn’t a Ford, even *if* I waited to not get the e-tron or decided to go for the GT and wait. Basically, *somebody* in this house is getting a new car soon— no special treatment is being requested - just do your due diligence to facilitate the Options plan, because that is the deciding factor for me the customer.

This dealer unlike others wasn’t denying its existence — they just kept trying to steer me towards other packages. First they stated it wasn’t available in my state. When presented with the dealership bulletin, links to Ford’s site, and even calling a neighboring dealership that has in fact facilitated a Ford Options plan — they simply didn’t respond to any of that. After clarifying that *if* for some reason it still wasn’t available I’d at least need a few days for my credit union to draft their terms in case I would have to compare a traditional purchase — it just resulted in an endless game to try and pressure me to come into the dealership ASAP today.

STRIKE THREE the dealer says we’re “rolling out the Red Carpet for you, we figured out the terms...congratulations.” When I asked whether he meant the “saying” or the RCL financing plan, he was forced to acknowledge he was referring to the plan, clearly in hopes to dupe me into coming in under the auspices of being “treated special” and coming for Ford Options.

At that point I threw my hands up, and told them to throw my money back and have a nice day. As annoyed as I am for all of the headache, I’m more exhausted and relieved to not bother with thinking about purchasing a car for a few days. Polestar reached out, Audi is still an option, wife’s Subaru test drive is coming up. But right now...I’m completely allergic to the idea of having to walk into a Ford dealership ever again ?.

great car, horrible salesmanship = a lost sale for no reason other than presumably greed and trying to steer a customer into a more profitable term for the dealer.
Sponsored

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag

TL; DR
After reserving my Mach-E June 2020, I finally decided to cancel my order, and request for my deposit to be refunded immediately after dealer gave the run around.

LONG STORY
The reason? The dealership model is the most horrible point of the overall experience - if you’ve seen my previous post back in February you’ll understand this is a generous understatement.

The charging network challenges? PAaK? Buzzy screens or wind draft noise? I wish I could say I’d have gotten a feel for the car to actually have an opinion on these — all of which for me amazingly enough weren’t all too concerning or indicative of every car off the lot. The 6 hour test drive was wonderful however. In the end though, it was dealers who ended the experience before it started for me.

Strike one this weekend after handing my CC to reinstate the $500 deposit since it was transferred/refunded from the previous dealership, this guy charged my card for the FULL AMOUNT OF THE FINAL DEPOSIT I MENTIONED I WOULD BE WILLING TO MAKE AT FINAL SALE WHEN I PLANNED TO RETURN. Now, I wasn’t too pressed because I expected to close within the week and I have the funds liquid- I’m trying to maximize my cc points like the next guy. Skeevy, but NBD. So peeved and annoyed - but not deterred, since I knew those funds could be refunded if everything fell through.

Strike two was going in an endless loop with a salesman and then general manager as to whether “Ford Options” was available. I was very up front that (and no disrespect the Mach-e is a WONDERFUL car, obviously if I reserved one last year I believe in it) that the Mach-e was a 2nd choice compared to Audi e-tron sportback that I also had paperwork ready for a 3 yr lease down to the final penny of tax. I knew that if we weren’t talking the option plan, I’d have a hard time justifying to myself paying more for the Mach-e per mo. than an e-tron Sportback (sure lease vs. purchase aren’t the same - but the money leaving my bank account for one vs the other is definitely different ?).

I was clear that it’s likely the resale on EVs could go down year by year as tech evolves - so again the option plan gives me the sense of security/flexibility I’m comfortable with. I was transparent that because my wife is shopping for a new Subaru, if the Ford Options plan (which IMO elevates it past the e-tron for me) wasn’t available, there’s a whole other car that I’d be ready the purchase that isn’t a Ford, even *if* I waited to not get the e-tron or decided to go for the GT and wait. Basically, *somebody* in this house is getting a new car soon— no special treatment is being requested - just do your due diligence to facilitate the Options plan, because that is the deciding factor for me the customer.

This dealer unlike others wasn’t denying its existence — they just kept trying to steer me towards other packages. First they stated it wasn’t available in my state. When presented with the dealership bulletin, links to Ford’s site, and even calling a neighboring dealership that has in fact facilitated a Ford Options plan — they simply didn’t respond to any of that. After clarifying that *if* for some reason it still wasn’t available I’d at least need a few days for my credit union to draft their terms in case I would have to compare a traditional purchase — it just resulted in an endless game to try and pressure me to come into the dealership ASAP today.

STRIKE THREE the dealer says we’re “rolling out the Red Carpet for you, we figured out the terms...congratulations.” When I asked whether he meant the “saying” or the RCL financing plan, he was forced to acknowledge he was referring to the plan, clearly in hopes to dupe me into coming in under the auspices of being “treated special” and coming for Ford Options.

At that point I threw my hands up, and told them to throw my money back and have a nice day. As annoyed as I am for all of the headache, I’m more exhausted and relieved to not bother with thinking about purchasing a car for a few days. Polestar reached out, Audi is still an option, wife’s Subaru test drive is coming up. But right now...I’m completely allergic to the idea of having to walk into a Ford dealership ever again ?.

great car, horrible salesmanship = a lost sale for no reason other than presumably greed and trying to steer a customer into a more profitable term for the dealer.
Sorry to hear this happened.

Do everyone a favor and write up your experience in an email to the Customer Experience officers at Ford. It won't hurt and may help.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/ford/

pdxzzr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag

TL; DR

LONG STORY

I’m going to say my experience isn’t this bad, but the dealer has been a little cagey, vague, uninformed, or some combination of all three about the status of delivering my Mach E (it’s been on the lot for the past month, on hold for some ”safety related stop sale order”).

I haven’t canceled, but the time allowed me to cross-shop against the e-tron this past weekend, and for a variety of reason I think the e-tron is a much better overall solution for what I want out of my car, despite the more limited range.

RW Journey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford MME FE
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your issues and completely understand the frustration with dealerships. Since this was my first Ford, I wasn't looking forward to dealing with them either. Given "Ford Options" is new and specific to the Mach-E, I expected some bumps in the road. Sure enough, they looked at me like I had worms coming out of my eyes and I said I parked my UFO in the backlot. After insisting it was in fact a real finance option, I went to chat with my sales rep, he asked what was going on and I told him. He then went out to the Ford website, found it, printed it out and took it to the finance guys. They ended up telling me it was buried in some menu. When they wrote it up, it didn't look right but they said they "Spoke with Ford" and this is how it is supposed to be written up. They collected the first payment and I went home. About 2 weeks later, I get a letter from Ford explaining how my loan wasn't correct and they corrected it. The interest rate and payment went down. In the end Ford corrected everything. Would I do business with this dealership again? Yes

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
Sorry to hear that. I had a great dealer and the car is perfect. My salesman even sent me a note on my Bday!

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
I like the options idea too because you can walk away if the car takes a nasty drop or sucks and not be stuck with the whole thing.

I don't really get why this is even done this way, except they needed a middle ground with the dealers. All of it can be done online, even the trade-in, and it would save a lot of problems.

And, it's not like they can't go to the Ford website and read about it. Hell, they've probably been trained on it, at least in some small fashion, so my credulity is strained to think they've never heard of it.

You are just asking for it with the dealers, doubly so with the F & I guys.

OP
OP

RCProAM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your issues and completely understand the frustration with dealerships. Since this was my first Ford, I wasn't looking forward to dealing with them either. Given "Ford Options" is new and specific to the Mach-E, I expected some bumps in the road. Sure enough, they looked at me like I had worms coming out of my eyes and I said I parked my UFO in the backlot. After insisting it was in fact a real finance option, I went to chat with my sales rep, he asked what was going on and I told him. He then went out to the Ford website, found it, printed it out and took it to the finance guys. They ended up telling me it was buried in some menu. When they wrote it up, it didn't look right but they said they "Spoke with Ford" and this is how it is supposed to be written up. They collected the first payment and I went home. About 2 weeks later, I get a letter from Ford explaining how my loan wasn't correct and they corrected it. The interest rate and payment went down. In the end Ford corrected everything. Would I do business with this dealership again? Yes
Yeah, glad it worked out for you. It just wasn’t for me to talk in circles when there are other options whether another dealership or carmaker. I wish they’d have tried and screwed up like yours did. At least they’d have shown some effort.

texaninmi

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Ford Edge
Occupation
Marketing
Country flag

TL; DR

LONG STORY

Hi. Sorry to hear about your bummer of an experience. Which dealer were you working with? Have you thought about working with another dealer?

OP
OP

RCProAM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Hi. Sorry to hear about your bummer of an experience. Which dealer were you working with? Have you thought about working with another dealer?
This was my second dealership already, I’ve identified a potential new one, but I just don’t have faith it’d be a good experience at this point. Fool me once...

texaninmi

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Ford Edge
Occupation
Marketing
Country flag
This was my second dealership already, I’ve identified a potential new one, but I just don’t have faith it’d be a good experience at this point. Fool me once...
Maybe I can help you get to the right store? I'm just so sorry that you have had this experience.