Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV 4 Hybrid, Toyota Tundra, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I'm sure some of you guys have looked at other BEV options. Is there a reason you went with the ME? Maybe you didn't want to wait or your just a Ford guy. While I would like to replace my wife's '18 Mustang Eco Boost with a ME, the ID 4 looks like a viable candidate for us. All opinions are welcome.
By the way, I happen to be a Ford guy too!!
Sponsored

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
I just think the MME nailed it. Good design, good range, right size. If the ID.4 had been available a year or so ago I might have gone with it. At this point I wouldn't give up the power, range, and AWD. (The ID.4 may compete better in these areas when the variants are released).

How much I like the power has surprised me. It just has worked really well for merging on freeways, which happens for me a lot. I don't think I need any more but wouldn't want to drop back a significant amount at this point.

People really like the design, with comments like "after forty years Ford finally came out with a nice looking vehicle", but the ID.4 looks decent. Not as eye-catching but nice in its own right.

frstsgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EMU - Premium Rapid Red, RWD, ER and 2013 VW EOS
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I needed to fit 4 sets of golf clubs and 4 people in the car. The id4 would only hold 3 sets of clubs. iPace failed and MY passed with difficulty. Besides my wife said the the Mach e has more personality, so a no brainer.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I actually just got back from my local VW dealer just now! They got their first ID.4 in today, a 1st Edition. I came away *extremely* impressed with it. Obviously it's nowhere near as luxurious as my Mach-E (but nowhere near as expensive), and nowhere near as stylish.

But man, it drives so much better. The ride is sportier, the seats are more supportive, it handles better, and the screens don't buzz either!

I was incredibly impressed, it's a very competent Mach-E rival, if you want a driver's car and can't wait for the GT, and don't care about the "wow factor" because something tells me nobody's gonna stop you in traffic and ask what you're driving in an ID.4 - multiple people have with my Mach-E.

Oh, and for the front plate bracket crowd - VW is putting front plate brackets on ALL US-bound ID.4s, even those in states without front plates. So yeah, Ford should have not done what they did with the Mach-E's front plate bracket, but it could be worse!

My Mach-E arrived and my dealer wouldn't let me wait a month to compare to an ID.4 (obviously), so I bought the Mach-E. But darn if the ID.4 doesn't address most of my complaints about the Mach-E.

I want the Mach-E's body on the ID.4's chassis.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
If the ID.4 had been coming out at the same time as the Mach E, I still would have bought the Mach E. I wanted a more exciting car. However, I think ID.4 is one of the best BEV values out there. It doesn't knock any balls out of the park but it gets an on-base hit in every category. However, the only thing the ID.4 does that the Mach E doesn't is tow (in AWD model only).

MachE911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE, C-Max Energi, 911
Country flag
I test drove a bunch of cars. ID4 was perky up to 40mph but fell off pretty fast. The entertainment system wasn’t great and was super laggy in the demo unit I drove, I also really didn’t like the sterile feeling cabin or the haptic wheel controls. Model Y is nice, but I like the MachE more (exterior and interior and CarPlay).

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The Mach E has a great combination of looks, performance, practicality, and capability. As a Ford guy myself I've always felt Ford won't leave me hanging when I have issues. The ID.4 is just another crossover with adequate performance and looks, and VW has already proven they aren't trustworthy. I really liked the Tesla I drove, but Musk has proven he's a snake oil salesman who will do anything to make a buck, and I really don't want to be associated with a personality cult.

I also think it is critical to support american companies, american engineers, for the profits to be reinvested in the US, etc. I would have preferred it to be assembled here, but it is crucial to support companies that do their R&D in the US so that the US doesn't lose more compitetive ground to other nations. It's also necessary so that future generations of americans have as many employment options as possible.

I know that's not a popular sentiment, but there it is.

OP
OP

Spin

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV 4 Hybrid, Toyota Tundra, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
What are your reasons?

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
I canceled a ID4 reservation for the Mach E. I’m a long time VW guy and I thought they were too boring for my tastes. Plus, as longtime VW owner, I’ve wrestled with some kind of electrical gremlin in every single model I’ve ever owned. To trust them with a fully electric vehicle to get the software right is just a bridge too far for me

Mickey the T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium, SR, RWD, Infinite Blue
Country flag
We test drove the ID.4 on its road show. Compared to the MME (which we have on order, so limited to a quick test drive), we felt the ID.4 "fit" us better, including the positioning of the middle screen, which was slanted toward the driver. The MME had more pop, although at the end of the day, the ID.4 was probably fast enough for us. One thing we didn't like was its lack of 1PD--I know that's a bit controversial around these parts, but both my wife and I have a hard time imagining driving without it in the future.

MME felt more premium, we like the looks better and...I'll admit it, we've totally fallen for the branding. (Both my wife and I--before we met--drove 1966 Mustangs.) The next day, we talked for about 10 minutes and mutually felt that the ID.4 was a nice car, but the MME was something we could get excited about.