What do you think of the VW ID 4?

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
It's interesting how the charge port preference can be so varied.
The problem is some people like me already have a charger from a previous car. My current car has it on the front driver side. VW consistently puts it on the rear passenger side. The problem if I back the car in the garage is that the tailgate will hit the stairs going into the house.

If I run it in nose first I have to drag the cable all around the back to plug it in. At 25 feet its long enough, but annoying.
Sponsored

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
The problem is some people like me already have a charger from a previous car. My current car has it on the front driver side. VW consistently puts it on the rear passenger side. The problem if I back the car in the garage is that the tailgate will hit the stairs going into the house.

If I run it in nose first I have to drag the cable all around the back to plug it in. At 25 feet its long enough, but annoying.
I kinda think VW's is the "right" choice, at least in left-hand-drive countries, because it's curbside. Curbside charging of driver's side charge ports is awkward, cyclists might bump the handle or door, etc.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I haven’t driven an ID.4. First impressions from video reviews:
1. Exterior is plain jane
2. Interior looks cheap compared to MME.
3. Worse range.
4. No frunk (I don’t even use the frunk but feels like an EV should have a frunk out of principal).

In sum, the ID.4 seems like exactly what I’d expect for a cheaper EV Crossover. Isn’t the MME premium somewhere around $10k more than whatever the “comparable” ID.4 trim level?

Not judging anybody who wants to save significant money, but it’s just not nearly as good. The “towing” is a useless gimmick.

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
I believe it will be the perfect car for many.
Seems like a decent value/cost play.

It really depends on where you’re at on your EV journey. My last EV (Bolt) got decent range, was fun to drive, and was 100% reliable - not one issue in 3 years (other than replacing the front tires, which I attribute to the way my kids drove it). At that time, I was looking for a solid EV commuter vehicle (110 miles round-trip), and the Bolt was perfect.

This time, I was willing to sacrifice some efficiency for better styling/appearance, and the extra cost was something I understood and could accommodate. The MMe makes sense for me now, and I recognize where it sits on the value/cost/aesthetics continuum.

SteveUk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache with crap keys
Country flag
For me it depends on the range, mache appears to have pushed it to 300miles so if it is in that region it is a contender depending on price.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
EV rear brakes are mostly for show anyway - the rear motor does the vast majority of the braking work on the rear axle through regen.

I'm actually in favor of rear drums on EVs - no rotor rusting and warping from disuse like we will have.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
I test drove the ID.4 and was impressed (5 miles, including a couple on the freeway). It felt quicker than I expected. It's a good size and seems to be well-built. The RWD is too slow for me, though. I have a reservation for an AWD (300 hp) which should be comparable to the Premium RWD standard battery Mach E I have reserved, both in range and performance. I reserved both just to have options, since who knows what's going on with delivery times. My Mach E won't be here until July at the earliest, and it's looking like the AWD VW may not be here until late Q3 or Q4.

That said, I'm more drawn to the MME. It has a sportier vibe (some of that is the Mustang branding, certainly), plenty of room, and looks great. Echoing previous posts, I like to support American companies - although I had a bad experience with a Ford in the early 90's and said I'd never buy another one. VW has been shown to be untrustworthy, and that enters into my calculations. I'm concerned about reliability with both brands, especially the software and electronic tech in the vehicle. Each car has its own quirks. I think 1PD is a plus for the MME.

Bottom line, I'd be happy with either vehicle. The ID.4 is definitely competitive.

I'm also interested in the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and Kia EV6, more mild interest in the Nissan Ariya, but pricing is unknown at this point, and I probably won't want to wait that long.

Mickey the T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium, SR, RWD, Infinite Blue
Country flag
It's interesting how the charge port preference can be so varied. I actually have the opposite issue, I strongly dislike the Mach-E's front fender charge port location because I prefer to back in to the garage, and then I'm going to bump into the charge port door all the time or trip over the cord as I exit the garage, so I've been pulling in instead. The VW's port seems like a nice compromise position to me, but yeah, nowhere is perfect for everyone.
Yes, for us the optimal charging position is the right rear. Not actually sure how we'll handle the MME's opposite side charging port.

JimmyL

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Accord EXLN Hybrid
Occupation
Retired / Relaxing to the max.
Country flag
I'm sure some of you guys have looked at other BEV options. Is there a reason you went with the ME? Maybe you didn't want to wait or your just a Ford guy. While I would like to replace my wife's '18 Mustang Eco Boost with a ME, the ID 4 looks like a viable candidate for us. All opinions are welcome.
By the way, I happen to be a Ford guy too!!
In'22 there will be several new BEVs beside the VW ID4. Most will look like a typical sedan or suv wiithout the minimalist look of a Tesla 3. GM, Audi, BMW will have new vehicles ready for prime time. And, Lucid Air should make its debut too. I'm really drawn to the MME and I hope they get all issues ironed out before the competition pressure is upon them. Ford are you paying attention.

JimmyL

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
That was a big disappointment with the ID.4 - it had creep and no 1-Pd and I couldn't figure out how to turn creep off (if they even allow it).

But I *LOVED* the way the ID.4 drives. It handles so much more like a Mustang than my Mustang Mach-E does. It's so frustrating. The VW is the driver's car, the Mustang isn't. :(

That Mustang branding sold me my car, I just wish it drove like a Mustang too.

It's been a few hours and I still keep thinking about the ID.4's handling. It really feels a league above my Mach-E's. I also really liked the VW gear shift compared to the stupid (and I mean stupid) rotary dial in mine. The rest of the interior the Mach-E wins (except when it's on and I hear the buzzing).
A saw a youtube video that mentioned the ID4 creeping. It did indicate how to turn it off. Simply put: you can stop creeping in the settings.

JimmyL

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I believe it will be the perfect car for many.
Seems like a decent value/cost play.

It really depends on where you’re at on your EV journey. My last EV (Bolt) got decent range, was fun to drive, and was 100% reliable - not one issue in 3 years (other than replacing the front tires, which I attribute to the way my kids drove it). At that time, I was looking for a solid EV commuter vehicle (110 miles round-trip), and the Bolt was perfect.

This time, I was willing to sacrifice some efficiency for better styling/appearance, and the extra cost was something I understood and could accommodate. The MMe makes sense for me now, and I recognize where it sits on the value/cost/aesthetics continuum.
P.s. . . take a look at the new 2021 Chevy Bolt EUV that is bigger and looks better than the regular Bolt. It get 200 miles range. And, its being delivered to dealers soon.
Ford Mustang Mach-E What do you think of the VW ID 4? 1616353082250
Sponsored

Reactions: JSW