What does climate control AUTO 1-2-3 actually do?

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Most likely with EVs you want to be able to have options to run electric motors more efficiently. I'd assume Auto level 1 is the most conservative energy-wise and level 3 is the most energy consumed. My KIA Plug in has an ECO mode for climate which does this very thing. AUTO 1,2,3 is just the dumbest concept. Should just be Climate ECO or Climate Normal
It is contradictory as a concept. By definition, manually setting fan speed is the opposite of AUTOmatic.

But in practice, I'm finding it mostly useful. Usually the 3 fan speeds (out of the 7 total) is close enough, and works pretty well for an easy one-button push. Personally I would tweak the range though. 1 is fine the way it is. I'd make 2 what 3 is now. And I'd make 3 max fan speed. When it's a really hot car, a quick max speed button would be nice. AUTO3 would be good for that.

Or better yet, make it AUTO 1-2-3-M.
Sponsored

Awmustang

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Ecoboost Performance Pack, Ordered 24 i4 xDrive
Country flag
Most likely with EVs you want to be able to have options to run electric motors more efficiently. I'd assume Auto level 1 is the most conservative energy-wise and level 3 is the most energy consumed. My KIA Plug in has an ECO mode for climate which does this very thing. AUTO 1,2,3 is just the dumbest concept. Should just be Climate ECO or Climate Normal
That would make sense, except this Auto 1-2-3 setup is used in other Ford and Lincoln vehicles and I don't think the intention is eco or efficiency minded.

Alan UK

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E RWD Long range
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Its so damn complicated how on earth (as a driver) can you tell if there is something wrong that you need to get looked at?

I find that there are conditions where the cabin becomes very uncomfortable. I often get problems with my ears as though the cabin has over pressurised.

One thing I noticed is that when you start a journey and its cold out the Auto puts on the E-Heat and closes all the air flows - This may well be the fastest way to get the cabin up to temp but I find it very unpleasant.

I now run with it in manual and keep the air flows open and usually with Air Con on. I'm sure this won't be energy efficient but at least I feel OK as I drive. At first I had to actually open the window a crack to get comfortable.

I'm just not sure if my problems are due to the design or to something not operating correctly.
Sponsored