What is preconditioning actually doing?

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I don't remember anyone mentioning a way to 'warm up the battery'. I can't imagine the power draw while getting a ton of battery up even a few degrees. Does it?

Math wizards, put down the slide rule... it's a yes/no question.
I've watched my ChargePoint app and the car draws about the same power as charging ~9 kW while FordPass says "Preparing for Drive". It does this preparing for a few minutes then FP transitions to the 'Preconditioning in progress' for my morning departure time. (It's been down into the 20's F in the mornings.) I think this "Preparing" is conditioning the battery.

If FP does not say "Preparing for Drive" then the normal 'preconditioning' only draws around 4 kW.
Sponsored

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've watched my ChargePoint app and the car draws about the same power as charging ~9 kW while FordPass says "Preparing for Drive". It does this preparing for a few minutes then FP transitions to the 'Preconditioning in progress' for my morning departure time. (It's been down into the 20's F in the mornings.) I think this "Preparing" is conditioning the battery.

If FP does not say "Preparing for Drive" then the normal 'preconditioning' only draws around 4 kW.
No departure time set here and preparing to drive comes up most days now. Do you know if it is a senor or hardcoded schedule that activates it? Noted during end of the charging schedule slot but you have the tools to monitor it. Definitely sounds like it is sucking the normal charging power. Ran for half an hour this morning. Works for me take whatever needed whenever needed. I would say for me it is departure schedule independent as I only have one charging schedule slot imputed and no departure time schedule.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
No departure time set here and preparing to drive comes up most days now. Do you know if it is a senor or hardcoded schedule that activates it? Noted during end of the charging schedule slot but you have the tools to monitor it. Definitely sounds like it is sucking the normal charging power. Ran for half an hour this morning. Works for me take whatever needed whenever needed. I would say for me it is departure schedule independent as I only have one charging schedule slot imputed and no departure time schedule.
I don't know when or why it does the 'preparing for drive'. I've only seen the message in FP just before the normal departure time would start preconditioning.

Pure speculation: I'm guessing the car is seeing a low battery temp and it knows that I'm wanting to depart in about a half hour so the car is doing its best to warm up.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I would see the "Preparing for Drive" message when the car was cooling the battery due to extremely high ambient temps. I presume the same message would display when warming the battery due to extremely low ambient temps.

DanCoon

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Government
Country flag
I don't use departure and comfort, as my morning departure times tend to change from day to day +/- 20 minutes or so. But I do occasionally remote start to heat the cabin and noticed that the Mach-E seems to use battery power for remote start even when it is plugged in.

The few times I've done it, I've checked the app to confirm that I was at 90%, then when I got in the car it had been reduced to 88%.

I don't know if this is a bug or just an oversight by Ford.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I don't use departure and comfort, as my morning departure times tend to change from day to day +/- 20 minutes or so. But I do occasionally remote start to heat the cabin and noticed that the Mach-E seems to use battery power for remote start even when it is plugged in.

The few times I've done it, I've checked the app to confirm that I was at 90%, then when I got in the car it had been reduced to 88%.

I don't know if this is a bug or just an oversight by Ford.
Might just be on your end.
My car uses shore power to condition the battery and/or cabin. If my charge setting is 90% then it remains at that same figure when I drive away.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Has anyone gotten the battery to become warmer while sitting in the driveway - in the winter??

I'm pretty sure if 'conditioning' also included shooting power into a heating pad, we'd have heard someone say that by now.

Doesn't 'conditioning' simple mean warming the inside of the cabin while still plugged in?

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would see the "Preparing for Drive" message when the car was cooling the battery due to extremely high ambient temps. I presume the same message would display when warming the battery due to extremely low ambient temps.
It is preparing to drive with no intervention from me. It is not a departure thing either. I have no idea where Karma is preparing to drive to ;) but prepared for a good 30 minutes this morning. Plugged in, charge reached and none of your tricks. Hoping better for you next summer.
Sponsored