What does climate control AUTO 1-2-3 actually do?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Thanks. Although for the question of what AUTO 1-2-3 actually does to fan speed, it still tells us nothing other than "it controls it".

Might help the recirc questions a little though.
Yeah. It doesn't even mention the three settings. The owners manual talks about it a little bit more but just says something like more or less fan noise if I remember correctly....

One interesting tidbit is the fan speed is variable via a pulse width modulated signal. So it doesn't appear to be stepped into 3 or 4 specific speeds.
Sponsored

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah. It doesn't even mention the three settings. The owners manual talks about it a little bit more but just says something like more or less fan noise if I remember correctly....

One interesting tidbit is the fan speed is variable via a pulse width modulated signal. So it doesn't appear to be stepped into 3 or 4 specific speeds.
Nice. So at this point, I'm just gonna assume AUTO is semi-automatic fan speed within 3 manual ranges. Maybe something like AUTO1 = 20-40% speed, AUTO2 = 40-60% speed, and AUTO3 = 60-100% speed. Or something like that. Just gonna have to play with it and see what's the closest to fully automatic like I wish it had.

waldo1949

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue mach e 4x
Country flag
Has anyone fully figured out what the AUTO 1-2-3 settings do for fan speed? I know the fan speed goes up and down when you rotate between those. But does it still automatically change the fan speed for you? If so, how much? Does 1 actually mean Low-ish (like 1-3 fan speeds), 2 Medium-ish (like 3-5), and 3 High-ish (like 5-7)?

And is there a way to make it fully automatic (i.e. automatically change between 1-7 base on the temp and what's needed)?

It's just very unclear what AUTO 1-2-3 actually do.
AUTO MODE INDICATORS

The indicators are on the Auto Mode button.
Auto Mode Indicator Status Description
One indicator illuminated.​
The blower motor speed is reduced. Use this setting to minimize the amount of noise from the blower motor. This setting increases the time taken to cool the interior.​
Two indicators illuminated.​
The blower motor speed is moderate.​
Three indicators illuminated.​
The blower motor speed is increased. Use this setting to reduce the time taken to cool the interior. This setting increases the amount of noise from the blower motor.​

db4z

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Country flag
Again, there is most likely 3 fan curves like you can setup on custom built PCs. The curves would most likely look at the difference between the requested temperature and the actual cabin temperature such that the fan speed will be faster when there is a big difference, and slower when the temp is closer together.

The trade-off in how aggressive (speed vs. delta temperature) the fan curve is with those 3 settings will be how long it takes to get the cabin to desired temperature vs. the noise and airflow the fan produces. The difference are probably only noticeable when the car is really hot or really cold.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
From the Work Shop Manual.....
Looks like an interesting read.
Yes, it is! Thank you.

Today I remote started the car via Google Assistant while I was leaving my desk at work.

It was nice to see the headlight animations while I was walking over to it.

It was somewhat hot in the car. I noticed that when I started it, the remote start fan speed remained the same. I think because it sensed that so much cooling was still needed.

Furthermore, recirc was ON. This is the very first time I've experienced recirc ON without me doing it myself and without using max A/C mode. I had it in Auto-3 mode.

Interesting... So this past month has been annoying, apparently since it's been barely hot enough to warrant any A/C at all, and the car maybe determined that recirculation wasn't a good idea? (And I disagree.)

But now as it gets hotter out, and I learn to just leave it on Auto-3 and not mess with it, it looks like it's gonna work okay for me.

Btw Auto-3 lets it get down to fan speed 1 just like Auto-2 and Auto-1. Each progressive Auto level just increases the maximum fan speed that the system may select for you.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Btw Auto-3 lets it get down to fan speed 1 just like Auto-2 and Auto-1. Each progressive Auto level just increases the maximum fan speed that the system may select for you.
This is exactly what I expect from other cars and the phrasing in the manual.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Yes, it is! Thank you.

Today I remote started the car via Google Assistant while I was leaving my desk at work.

It was somewhat hot in the car. I noticed that when I started it, the remote start fan speed remained the same. I think because it sensed that so much cooling was still needed.

Furthermore, recirc was ON. This is the very first time I've experienced recirc ON without me doing it myself and without using max A/C mode. I had it in Auto-3 mode.

Interesting... So this past month has been annoying, apparently since it's been barely hot enough to warrant any A/C at all, and the car maybe determined that recirculation wasn't a good idea? (And I disagree.)

But now as it gets hotter out, and I learn to just leave it on Auto-3 and not mess with it, it looks like it's gonna work okay for me.

That is great news. Glad the recirc works like that for you. :)
Did your car direct the air flow down low and then put it back to the upper vents once you hit the actual start button?

I remote started a few times today too and that is what I think was happening with my car. Remote starting by talking into my phone was pretty cool. Thanks @dbsb3233 !

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
That is great news. Glad the recirc works like that for you. :)
Did your car direct the air flow down low and then put it back to the upper vents once you hit the actual start button?
Not sure I've ever tried the floor vents? I think it's only been using panel vents but I'm not positive.

I remote started a few times today too and that is what I think was happening with my car. Remote starting by talking into my phone was pretty cool. Thanks @dbsb3233 !
I'm happy you've got that working! :)

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Not sure I've ever tried the floor vents? I think it's only been using panel vents but I'm not positive.

I'm happy you've got that working! :)
Yeah. It was a handy trick. I didn't even have FordPass running and it still worked. :)

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Yes, it is! Thank you.

Filing away for future reference. In the event, you know, that I actually get a Mach-e someday. ;)

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Filing away for future reference. In the event, you know, that I actually get a Mach-e someday. ;)
Hawaii models get Remote Start Delete at no extra cost. When the weather is perfect year round who needs RS? :)

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
AUTO MODE INDICATORS

The indicators are on the Auto Mode button.
Auto Mode Indicator StatusDescription
One indicator illuminated.​
The blower motor speed is reduced. Use this setting to minimize the amount of noise from the blower motor. This setting increases the time taken to cool the interior.​
Two indicators illuminated.​
The blower motor speed is moderate.​
Three indicators illuminated.​
The blower motor speed is increased. Use this setting to reduce the time taken to cool the interior. This setting increases the amount of noise from the blower motor.​
Yeah, that's the usual "vague as they they can make it" owner's manualese. They're always great at telling us the obvious stuff and terrible at addressing the unclear stuff.

I love how they explain to us that a faster fan speed actually makes more noise, and a slower fan speed makes less noise. And that slower fan speed takes the car longer to change temp. Wow, who knew? ?

What's missing is whether AUTO actually varies the fan speed automatically, and by how much, and whether any of the 3 settings offer the FULL range of automatic adjustments that a normal car does.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
What's missing is whether AUTO actually varies the fan speed automatically, and by how much, and whether any of the 3 settings offer the FULL range of automatic adjustments that a normal car does.
Mine does if I have it set to Auto 3. Not sure why others see different behavior. Maybe different software versions from the factory?

davidproberts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E Select
Country flag
A couple of times now I have gotten into my car and the whole A/C is switched off. When I turn it back on again, it has reset the cabin temperature back to 22C instead of the 19C setting that I entered. Has anyone else experienced this? Does it have anything to do with the Pre-Start temperature setting? Or if an OTA update has been applied?

dw0095

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium
Country flag
Most likely with EVs you want to be able to have options to run electric motors more efficiently. I'd assume Auto level 1 is the most conservative energy-wise and level 3 is the most energy consumed. My KIA Plug in has an ECO mode for climate which does this very thing. AUTO 1,2,3 is just the dumbest concept. Should just be Climate ECO or Climate Normal
Sponsored