What features / items would you pay monthly fee for?

What items would you pay for monthly/annually? Assume NONE of these are available without a fee.

• Total voters

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Eventually, as the years pass the new generation mobile phones won't be compatible with the existing PaaK software so Ford is going to have to keep updating the system to keep up with the technology. At some point they will cut bait or charge the owner for that service.

Very same thing happened with the 2013-2018 Ford EVs. The modems on those are no longer compatible with the current cellular network so users had to pay to upgrade the modems in their vehicles if they wanted to maintain connectivity.

Having a "connected vehicle" is a recipe for eventual misery. Sure, it's great now while it all works but eventually they are going to turn in to bricks when the technology passes by. If this is the future then I don't really see any other option except for a vehicle subscription model where you keep it for 3-5 years and then it goes back to the manufacturer to be crushed and recycled into something new. Basically like cell phones. There was a time where there was a market for used cell phones but I doubt that exists very much any more. Now they are just crushed and recycled and everyone is walking around with the current models. The devices are funded by the subscription they purchase. Will likely be the same with our cars. Enjoy it while you can boys and girls.....times are changing.

Since we are on the subject......
Can you believe that Ford wants us to pay for turn by turn directions once our trial period expires?
Ridiculous!

1658847099871.png
no way I would pay for navigation or ANY of the 'connected' services.... I'd go back to using my phone directly for maps and Plugshare to find chargers if need be.

The only thing I NEED is a way to start the car, and I can use the door code and screen passcode if need be as long as the center console display works.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I have no problems with these items and a monthly fee as long as I get the Mach-e for free;)
See my reply below above. That is basically where the industry is going.

We are already seeing it in the heavy truck market. We aren't allowed to actually buy the truck. Can't even lease it. It's a subscription service and currently only available to fleets in California and New York (because those states have large incentives). The manufacturer gets the incentive, the user subscribes to the unit. The manufacturer replaces that unit with a new model in 12-24 months and that original unit goes to another state. They are expected to have 3 lives (users) and then go back to the factory to be recycled. The basic plan is to recondition the rolling chassis, install a new cab/body complete with the latest technology, recycle the HVB components and install new. Then it's a new vehicle that starts the process all over again.

The primary reason for this is to give the manufacturer control over the asset, which in this case is the rolling chassis and HV components. Those are the items that will be hard to source in the next 10-20 years so it makes sense for the manufacturer to keep that as their own.

Last edited:

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
See my reply below. That is basically where the industry is going.

We are already seeing it in the heavy truck market. We aren't allowed to actually buy the truck. Can't even lease it. It's a subscription service and currently only available to fleets in California and New York (because those states have large incentives). The manufacturer gets the incentive, the user subscribes to the unit. The manufacturer replaces that unit with a new model in 12-24 months and that original unit goes to another state. They are expected to have 3 lives (users) and then go back to the factory to be recycled. The basic plan is to recondition the rolling chassis, install a new cab/body complete with the latest technology, recycle the HVB components and install new. Then it's a new vehicle that starts the process all over again.

The primary reason for this is to give the manufacturer control over the asset, which in this case is the rolling chassis and HV components. Those are the items that will be hard to source in the next 10-20 years so it makes sense for the manufacturer to keep that as their own.
Finally an incentive for the manufacturers to make a long lasting product, so way better for the environment...

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
no way I would pay for navigation or ANY of the 'connected' services.... I'd go back to using my phone directly for maps and Plugshare to find chargers if need be.

The only thing I NEED is a way to start the car, and I can use the door code and screen passcode if need be as long as the center console display works.
I am with you on this.
I REALLY love the Ford navigation. By far the best nav that I have ever used and that is saying something because I am a heavy user. But, I feel like I paid for it when I bought the car. When my trial runs out then I'll just stick with whatever basic nav remains or use the maps from my phone. Google Maps is good enough for free.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I think of it this way, if the hardware is in the car (e.g. heated seats are hardware requiring no external value adder) I am not willing to purchase a car from a company that tries this.

If it is streaming music service, then sure I'd consider it. (e.g. XM)

Charging for a network connection for my car is also a non-starter. WTF... just connect to my phone and use that network connectivity. I am already paying for that.

Ford has changed my mind on subscribing to BC. A year ago I thought this was ok. This was based on the assumption that there would be some regular OTA updates to make it better... turns out there is NOTHING. Why would anyone pay a fee for a software product that is not improved let alone supported. At this point, no I will not subscribe... Ford has ruined this option for me.

vinny2487

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E CA Route 1 (Star White)
Country flag
We're starting to see manufacturers charge monthly for items that we've always thought of as free. For example, BMW will now charge $18 per month for heated seats, but not yet in the U.S.

So, we all know this is coming, but what items are you willing to pay for on a regular basis?

JUST A REMINDER. IF YOU SAY "HELL NO" THEN YOU GET NONE OF THOSE ITEMS.
If you're paying $60-$70k for a car, the car better have all of those features. Trying to nickel and dime potential buyers will not work, IMO.

And yes I'm voting HELL NO because it means I'm not buying that car.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Finally an incentive for the manufacturers to make a long lasting product, so way better for the environment...
taking options away from the customer (e.g. can't buy it) always ends up costing the customer more. Kinda what I'd expect from Cali and NY.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Companies like VW with their MEB platform may have an advantage in that type of market. Those skateboards can be reused over and over again and just get new bodies and drivetrains every 10 years or so. This completely solves the "the tech in my car is outdated" issue that we all see coming. I call it a skateboard but it's not really. Just 3 separate pieces. A front cradle, a rear cradle and the battery pack. Genius really.

Ford Mustang Mach-E What features / items would you pay monthly fee for? 1658848755837

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
I will admit for my wife's Tesla we *did* pay for the premium connectivity. But that's the only thing I'd ever go for. I admit it costs them money to maintain a cellular link to the car and eventually that should be cancelled or paid for by the user. But all connected features should be "included". Those are the product. If you want to nickle and dime your customer you better expect they might not be your customer for long. Tesla has continued to roll out updates to all customers and only asks for payment when new hardware is required to maintain or upgrade it. That's pretty fair. I can also see renting out cars and charging premiums for features in that scenario. But in a paid for car the buyer OWNS the hardware. If you try to sell access to that hardware you are in the wrong. Someone will come out with a workaround in those cases and the model will fall apart.

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Mustang Mach E Premium RWD SR
None. They should be included in the car and any updates thereafter.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I feel like this thread is a bit of fear-mongering. The auto industry is pretty competitive and I'm not sure we'll see a world where those subscriptions are mandatory in order to get the features (unless they're services that have a recurring cost to the service provider).

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
I will not pay any monthly fees for options in my vehicle, with the exception of my subscription to Sirius XM. If Ford decides to start making optional features pay as you go, then I will buy from another manufacturer.

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
The "everything as a service" business model / micro-transaction suck but thats where we're headed.

Caramel

First Name
Vi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey
Country flag
When I was in high school in the 1990s a friend had a car that didnā€™t have a radio. Literally no radio, not just a radio that was broken. (It also only had one side mirror.) She had a cheap boom box she used to play music. I canā€™t imagine buying a car that wouldnā€™t allow me to my tunes without paying a monthly subscription fee, but I really donā€™t want to go back to a cheap boom box on the passenger seat either.
Sponsored