Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E
Occupation
retired
Country flag
First things first. Tesla has to switch the sides of the chargers so they will work with the charge port in the front left side. I'm thinking some time in 2030.
I had no trouble plugging into the magic dock at the Scotts Valley, California location. I think that it depends on the post between chargers that protects the charger from a car running into it. If the post is set close to the curb, then the car cannot pull far enough forward for the cable to reach. Also, the Mach-e must be positioned to the right of the normal Tesla stall.

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘18 Pacifica PHEV, ‘22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
I don't think the Superchargers I use on my trips from Florida to Ohio have a long enough cable to connect to a Mach-e, unless it is parked parallel to the chargers. There was one that was just barely long enough for my Tesla. A Mach-e parked parallel would take up 3 to 4 charging spots. An adapter with 4 or 5 foot extension cable is needed. Perhaps that is what is taking Ford so long to get one out. It is unfortunate that the charge port location on EVs was not standardized years ago.
I stopped at a Supercharger with a magic dock a couple days ago. I pulled up very close, parked in the stall to the right of the dock (no other cars were charging at an 8 stall location) and I was just able to make it reach. The lighter weight cord actually made it easier to connect than some CCS cords. But I agree that another couple feet of cord will be very necessary.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Wouldn’t a NACS adapter that’s an 8 foot pigtail solve a lot of these parking problems. Cooling would need to be addressed. Cost would be higher.

rfrommd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium ER RWD
Country flag
Correct. But they decided to open it and I think that Tesla should try to do something to improve the V3 usability for non-Tesla vehicles. Maybe Tesla could find a way to retrofit the V3 charges with a longer hose.
I'm pretty sure the retrofit for v3 superchargers (and v2 for sure) will be replacement by a v4 supercharger, which IIRC all come with Magic Docks and longer cords.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Wouldn’t a NACS adapter that’s an 8 foot pigtail solve a lot of these parking problems. Cooling would need to be addressed. Cost would be higher.
Cooling is precisely why that won't work. You can't have active cooling in an adapter. Nowhere to put the radiator and pump, and you'd need to power it off something else.

We're just going to have to pull up really close with the nose over the curb. Done it before with Magic Dock.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
How many threads will there be rehashing the same things over and over, and over, and over, again?

As to accessibility, all locations are not the same. Some don't have curbs at end of space. Some have different height curbs. Some have posts.

The extension issue, and cooling, has been debated 14.3 times. Just pack the damn thing in ice...

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
How many threads will there be rehashing the same things over and over, and over, and over, again?

As to accessibility, all locations are not the same. Some don't have curbs at end of space. Some have different height curbs. Some have posts.

The extension issue, and cooling, has been debated 14.3 times. Just pack the damn thing in ice...
Better make it dry ice so it does not conduct!

mateo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
1 MME will take up 2 spots at the Tesla Supercharger World, but 5 next to each other will only take up 6 spots. Thus the solution to maximize efficiency in the upcoming year is to simply ban Teslas from using them. 🤷‍♂️

DaleL

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
retired
Country flag

I have edited this comment to strike through the reference to V2 Superchargers. As a later post pointed out, non-Teslas will only be able to charge at the newer V3 Superchargers. As a result, my trip experiences with Superchargers may not apply to Mach-e owners.

I don't really remember where I got the 110 kW max charge rate. The standard range is listed at 115 kW and the large battery at 150 kW.

Sorry for my errors.

Indeed all locations are not the same and not all Superchargers are the same. The charging "stalls" (parking spots) on older (most numerous) Superchargers share 250 kW chargers. They are typically designated with an "A" or "B". Thus stall 4A shares the charger with 4B. Also, since the peak charge rate of a Mach-e is only 110 kW, extra cooling of a properly sized extension cable, should not be an issue. Ice will not be necessary.

"Many locations still use V2 Superchargers. Each group of two stalls is connected to a single V2 Supercharger cabinet. Each cabinet has a number and the pedestals in each stall are labeled with that number and A or B. Now for maximum charging speed, you want to select a stall where you will be the only vehicle at A and B for that Supercharger cabinet.

When vehicles occupy both stalls for a single V2 Supercharger cabinet, the power is divided between the two vehicles. The first vehicle gets the most power, but the second vehicle will get at least 30 kW. As the first vehicle charges beyond 50% SOC or so, the power is tapered down to protect the battery. The excess capacity is then diverted to the 2nd vehicle. When the first vehicle completes charging or leaves, the second vehicle gets the entire capacity of the Supercharger."

https://teslatap.com/articles/supercharger-superguide/
Sponsored

Last edited: