Why did my public L2 session stop at 90%?

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I plugged into a ChargePoint L2 this morning during an out&back daytrip of about 150mi both ways. I was at university with business there, so staying plugged in all day worked just fine for me. I had hoped to charge back to 100% for the trip home.

But the session ended at 90%. Did I have a setting wrong with my car, or is this set by the station? I have my home charge settings capped at 90% but I didnā€™t think that applied to public.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I plugged into a ChargePoint L2 this morning during an out&back daytrip of about 150mi both ways. I was at university with business there, so staying plugged in all day worked just fine for me. I had hoped to charge back to 100% for the trip home.

But the session ended at 90%. Did I have a setting wrong with my car, or is this set by the station? I have my home charge settings capped at 90% but I didnā€™t think that applied to public.
Interesting. Itā€™s not possible to set a limit for DC charging.
But Lightnings will stop at 90% (at least they used to) unless you set a one-time charge limit (not available on Mach-E).
I wonder if Ford is rolling this out to Mach-Es now?? If so, is it intentional? šŸ˜€

Skip Towne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4x Premium
Country flag
I believe some smart public charge stations (like Chargepoint), especially free ones, can be configured to stop after a set period of time based on the site owner's preference. So perhaps it wasn't the 90% threshold that stopped the charge it was getting to the 4 hour (or whatever) limit.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I believe some smart public charge stations (like Chargepoint), especially free ones, can be configured to stop after a set period of time based on the site owner's preference. So perhaps it wasn't the 90% threshold that stopped the charge it was getting to the 4 hour (or whatever) limit.
This is probably the most likely scenario. Our local Target (CP), for example, shuts you off at 2 hours which is the free charge limit. The airport (also CP) shuts you down at 4 hours.

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I plugged in at 7:15am. It shut down at 1:32pm at 90%. FordPass showed it as a ā€œCharge Station Fault.ā€

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Well that would be your answer then.
Ever since the last OTA update, my Mach-E has shown a "charge station fault" when charging is finished. It reaches my 90% limit just fine. It does it when using my Emporia, my FCSP and the mobile charger.

I don't think the "charge station fault" message is necessary the problem.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Some DCFC units can be programmed for a maximum %SOC they will deliver to keep people from hogging them. I've seen that on an older ABB at a car dealership but have never seen it on a ChargePoint myself. Since I rarely charge to over 90% on DCFC (no one should do this unless they really need the extra juice), I really wouldn't see this often.

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Some DCFC units can be programmed for a maximum %SOC they will deliver to keep people from hogging them. I've seen that on an older ABB at a car dealership but have never seen it on a ChargePoint myself. Since I rarely charge to over 90% on DCFC (no one should do this unless they really need the extra juice), I really wouldn't see this often.
Yeah. Iā€™m pretty sure thatā€™s what happened. The ā€œcharging station faultā€ message is bogus. That is just Fordā€™s interpretation of a charge session ending early.

At first I suspected my home charging 90% cap might have bled into a public station, but I donā€™t think thatā€™s it, either.

I think that particular ChargePoint was programmed to stop at 90%. It was also gonna charge me an additional $4 if I stayed parked there for more than 1hr after cutoff.

I used another ChargePoint last night and it took me back to 100%.
Sponsored