Why is the temp on Infotainment screen so wrong?

JmanMachE

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium AWD ext. range
Country flag
When starting the car, it shows the last reading. It takes a few minutes to settle in to the current temp, and it’s accurate. I don’t know why but that’s what I’ve observed.
Sponsored

satchel prefect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crusty old PHEV
Country flag
Just curious, but is there a practical purpose for an external temperature reading in a car? It's just hard to imagine how cold/hot can be an uncertainty by the time one gets into the car, looks out the windows, etc.

Next thing you know, there will be a digital display to inform our eyes how loud the speakers are playing :p

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
For a modern ICE vehicle, I don’t think an Outside Air Temperature reading is necessary. For an EV, an OAT gauge can give the driver a little more information on how the HV battery performance will be (less capacity/range if cold or really hot). 🤷‍♂️🐩

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
Just curious, but is there a practical purpose for an external temperature reading in a car? It's just hard to imagine how cold/hot can be an uncertainty by the time one gets into the car, looks out the windows, etc.

Next thing you know, there will be a digital display to inform our eyes how loud the speakers are playing :p
There is absolutely a reason to have the external temperature reading in a car. In an traditional ICE powered car, the car's engine computer uses the outside temperature reading to adjust fuel mixture for the engine. It also uses the outside temperature to adjust the A/C or heater output. In an EV, that outside temperature reading will effect the battery thermal management settings.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
There is absolutely a reason to have the external temperature reading in a car. In an traditional ICE powered car, the car's engine computer uses the outside temperature reading to adjust fuel mixture for the engine. It also uses the outside temperature to adjust the A/C or heater output. In an EV, that outside temperature reading will effect the battery thermal management settings.
This. And most modern vehicles also use the thermistor to warn the vehicle operator of potential icy conditions. At about 37F (3 C), you'll often hear a "ding" and see a frost warning light to let you know that some places on the road may be iced (for example, shadowed road surfaces, bridges, etc).

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
Here's a pet peeve of mine. Look at the two temperatures in the screenshot. This is Android Auto. The tiny temperature in the upper right is the correct temperature. The LARGE one on the bottom left is incorrect. While it's not dramatic in the photo, sometimes it's a big difference. Yesterday I was in the San Fernando Valley and the small one said 89 degrees and the bottom left one said 67. I was outside and I can tell you for sure that it was 89. Whats more the bottom left showed that the day's high would be 72 and the low 51. Clearly just wrong.

Look at the AC setting. I had it turned down to 68 because it was friggin' hot out!

Even more confusing is that if I ask Google for the weather it comes up with a third temp not matching either of the ones on the display. This implies that the bottom left temp isn't coming from Google.

The car is now being ridiculed by my passengers for its blatant inaccuracies. I wish there was a way to turn the bottom temp screen completely off. I'd rather have no information instead of wrong information.

1681135497539.png
Wow chuck, you can tell things are slow here on the Mach E forum when the topic of the day is why does my phone not have the proper temperature for my location? 😂 And, I'm really curious why you say the car display is wrong but your phone is correct, this is totally illogical given that you said it was hot outside? Surely you wouldn't set your HVAC to 68 degrees when it's 65 outside, hence your phone is wrong, just saying. 🤔

Last edited:

satchel prefect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crusty old PHEV
Country flag
For a modern ICE vehicle, I don’t think an Outside Air Temperature reading is necessary. For an EV, an OAT gauge can give the driver a little more information on how the HV battery performance will be (less capacity/range if cold or really hot). 🤷‍♂️🐩
2.6 kwh per 10F according to my back of the napkin :)

This. And most modern vehicles also use the thermistor to warn the vehicle operator of potential icy conditions. At about 37F (3 C), you'll often hear a "ding" and see a frost warning light to let you know that some places on the road may be iced (for example, shadowed road surfaces, bridges, etc).
Points taken, all.

My question was more around the driver or passengers seeing a temperature reading, not so much the car. I gathered from the OP that the problem was variance between the two temperature displays, and I was just curious about what a driver or passenger would gain from knowing the numeric value.

I figure each individual will find it either hot, cold, or comfortable outside, regardless of what the various gauges are displaying, and they probably knew this before the display was presented. If by some chance, someone is surprised by cold air when exiting the car, they either have a jacket inside or they don't.

Last edited:

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Pull up the Ford nav display then select weather on it. Then you will have three different temperatures, just accept the middle one as the most accurate. :p

My temperature displayed by the car is always high, usually by about 10 degrees.

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
OP - you may want to edit the title - “Why is android auto’s temp so wrong?”
Bingo, why in the world does he think the car is wrong, he said it was hot outside so we know it wasn't 65 degrees.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
5-deg delta seems pretty accurate to me, since the car is detecting local temp and the phone is getting data from elsewhere.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Actually, the ECM for an ICE does not read the Outside Air Temperature. It reads the Intake Air Temperature, which can absolutely be different from the outside reading. It's less important than the Mass Air Flow sensor (on MAF type systems), but it is used for mapping purposes.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
For me, the temp indication in any car is just for fun. I've never owned a car where it was accurate in relation to local air temperature. Nor does it matter, really, except to look and think, "Wow that's hot" or "Wow that's cold." It's sometimes fun to snap a shot of ridiculously high indications and send it to a friend. I once saw 145-F in the MME while driving to Tuscon in the summer. :)

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
For me, the temp indication in any car is just for fun. I've never owned a car where it was accurate in relation to local air temperature. Nor does it matter, really, except to look and think, "Wow that's hot" or "Wow that's cold." It's sometimes fun to snap a shot of ridiculously high indications and send it to a friend. I once saw 145-F in the MME while driving to Tuscon in the summer. :)
Honestly, for me it's more of what you describe too. More for fun information. My MME is my only car with a temperature indicator. My Fusion Energi was my first car with one. It never gets all that hot or cold here anyhow. 🤪🐩

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
I don't know why this thread makes me so amused, but it does.
Sponsored