Why is the temp on Infotainment screen so wrong?

mateo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
Then you should start a new thread. The OP opened this thread to complain that the temp being displayed by Android Auto was wrong, which somehow led to passengers ridiculing the car.
My apologies for my confusing post! I should have been more clear on what I was pointing out.

Regardless of a discrepancy between the weather provider and the local temps, the ambient sensor is likely to be much different when sitting around (my example). For me, after traveling some time, they tend to match quite closely even though it can be 20 degrees off when starting the car.
Sponsored

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
Man, this thread is the gift that just keeps on giving, the OP has now retreated knowing how ludicrous his claim is! šŸ˜‚

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
From what I've read, your PG&E bills are simply telling you how outrageous their costs are...

Michigan - peak gas cost this winter (heating, hot water, stovetop) - $362.75 (344CCF). Peak cooling month last summer, $257.29, which includes 252kWh charging, or roughly $37 of that $257.29.
Outrageous costs are one part. But I can see on the bill that I used more natural gas therms compared to the previous year.

VindictivePantz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MACH-E Premium AWD w/ Ext. Battery
Country flag
Necromancing this thread, but I had a bug regarding the car's temperature yesterday.

It's in the 90s here in the Chicago area, and I was coming back from the city on the train, and remotely started the car to get it cooled off a bit.

When I got in, it was not terribly cooled off (despite having the temp set to 68, and "Auto" maxxed.)

Seemed odd.

Started driving, and the A/C was barely doing anything. I looked, and the car's temperature reading was 72 degrees (F), despite it being above 90 degrees (and most likely a lot warmer in the parking lot the car was sitting in.)

Since the car thought it was only 72 degrees, it ran the A/C accordingly as it did not have much work it thought it needed to do.

After 3-4 minutes, I saw the car's temperature reading start to increase rapidly as it seemed to finally get the right data. However, the A/C did not adjust, so I manually increased its output for a bit. I then returned to Auto and all things were good in the world.

It's the first time I've seen this happen, and I suspect a reboot of Sync would have probably taken care of it, but it was an interesting bug that would really be challenging in more extreme heat or cold conditions.

P.S. Android was reporting the right temperature :cool:

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The cars infotainment temp is wildly inaccurate, always has been, and I donā€™t think it will become more accurate. Iā€™ve had it show incorrectly ambient temp -20 degrees or + 25 degrees at times.

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
The car is now being ridiculed by my passengers for its blatant inaccuracies.
I find the temperature measured by my car to be warm as well. Remember that true temperatures measured by weather statiosn are taken in the shade, while there are so many factors that make car temperature sensors read off - heat coming off the road, heat from sitting in the sun, and heat generated by the car can all impact the temperature reading. It's not that it's wrong, it's that it's ambient temperature isn't the same as the air temperature in the shade somewhere nearby.
Came here to say this. It completely understandable that the on-car reading would be different than the reading from a weather station.

There are several reasons to ridicule the MME, but this is not one of them.

OP
OP
Chuck

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
Necromancing this thread, but I had a bug regarding the car's temperature yesterday.

It's in the 90s here in the Chicago area, and I was coming back from the city on the train, and remotely started the car to get it cooled off a bit.

When I got in, it was not terribly cooled off (despite having the temp set to 68, and "Auto" maxxed.)

Seemed odd.

Started driving, and the A/C was barely doing anything. I looked, and the car's temperature reading was 72 degrees (F), despite it being above 90 degrees (and most likely a lot warmer in the parking lot the car was sitting in.)

Since the car thought it was only 72 degrees, it ran the A/C accordingly as it did not have much work it thought it needed to do.

After 3-4 minutes, I saw the car's temperature reading start to increase rapidly as it seemed to finally get the right data. However, the A/C did not adjust, so I manually increased its output for a bit. I then returned to Auto and all things were good in the world.

It's the first time I've seen this happen, and I suspect a reboot of Sync would have probably taken care of it, but it was an interesting bug that would really be challenging in more extreme heat or cold conditions.

I don't believe any of the temperatures on the screen represent cabin temps.

VindictivePantz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't believe any of the temperatures on the screen represent cabin temps.
The temperature in the upper right represents the outside ambient temperature. That's what I was referring to. I will be more clear next time.

Ultimately, there's an internal thermostat of some sort that adjusts how hot/cold to make the car inside based on the target temperate I set if I am in 'auto.' My car was incredibly warm, and the internal thermostat looks like it *may* be linked to what the car thinks the temperature is on the outside. Maybe not. I just know that until the outside temperature eventually corrected itself and I went from 'auto' to manual and then back to 'auto', did the car actually attempt to cool as expected.

All I was trying to point out is that the inside of the car was incredibly warm and found an odd causal relationship between the outside ambient temperature that was being reported relative to how the HVAC was working internally. It may be pure coincidence and there's something wrong with the internal thermostat, but wanted to share.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag

Seemed odd.

Couple things. The temp sensor is in the front bumper, so when the A/C runs while parked or moving slowly it will warm up from the heat. You have to drive faster than 20 mph for several minutes before the reading will update after being parked.

The temp sensor is located 16ā€ from the ground, which will register a higher temperature on sunny days from pavement heating than an official weather station with the thermometer 79ā€ above the ground.

I recommend changing your remote start HVAC setting to AUTO instead of latest settings for greater performance.

There does seem to be a bug in the HVAC software that sometimes causes the A/C to not cool as much as it should. Iā€™ve observed it, and it appears to be related to using remote start first.

The car also doesnā€™t respond to sun load, so on sunny days youā€™ll have to manually reduce your set temp up to 5Ā°F to compensate for the solar heating.

VindictivePantz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Couple things. The temp sensor is in the front bumper, so when the A/C runs while parked or moving slowly it will warm up from the heat. You have to drive faster than 20 mph for several minutes before the reading will update after being parked.

The temp sensor is located 16ā€ from the ground, which will register a higher temperature on sunny days from pavement heating than an official weather station with the thermometer 79ā€ above the ground.

I recommend changing your remote start HVAC setting to AUTO instead of latest settings for greater performance.

There does seem to be a bug in the HVAC software that sometimes causes the A/C to not cool as much as it should. Iā€™ve observed it, and it appears to be related to using remote start first.

The car also doesnā€™t respond to sun load, so on sunny days youā€™ll have to manually reduce your set temp up to 5Ā°F to compensate for the solar heating.

Good information to know, and potentially explains what I saw yesterday.
  1. It's hot outside
  2. I remote-started the car
  3. HVAC was set to 'Auto', 68 degrees, on 'max'
  4. HVAC did not seem to care how warm the car was inside and was running gently
For remote start, I believe I have that set to AUTO instead of latest settings, but will validate.

The ambient temperature sensor information is helpful as well. It was the first time I saw it take a few minutes to adjust. I've seen it take a few seconds, but was scratching my sweaty head why it was taking so long to reflect what was a 20+ degree temperature difference.

For sun load, that's reasonable.

As always, appreciate the insight. Thank you!

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Good information to know, and potentially explains what I saw yesterday.
  1. It's hot outside
  2. I remote-started the car
  3. HVAC was set to 'Auto', 68 degrees, on 'max'
  4. HVAC did not seem to care how warm the car was inside and was running gently
Yeah the ā€œblowing gentlyā€ and not cooling thing is a complaint of mine. Looking at the interior temp reading, it somehow thinks that cabin is like 60Ā°F when itā€™s actually still like 80Ā°F and doesnā€™t cool enough on hot days. Iā€™m convinced something is wrong with the HVAC programming.

Izzle

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mus Mach-E GT Performance; 2008 Mustang GT/CS
Country flag
You can remove the weather from android auto or use Google maps and go full screen.
Can you provide directions on how to remove the weather from Android Auto? I can't seem to find that option in the app settings.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Was going to start my own thread on this issue, which is now my biggest pet peeve with the Mach-E, but figured I shouldn't add any more clutter.

Have owned my FE for over 2 years now, and I honestly don't remember it always being this bad, but this summer the remote start/pre-conditioning has been absolutely terrible for me.

99% of the time I've remote started before leaving work, 85F+ out, and I get into the car and it's just barely blowing cool air, still hot as heck inside. Turn the car on and it's still showing 65F in Sync. Even after turning it on, still being 85F+ outside and AC set to 65F, it doesn't change. Only after driving 5-10minutes does it finally realize "Oh shit, it's hot outside, let's actually cool the damned car!".

It's incredibly frustrating. I get to work around 6-6:30AM, so it's generally cool-ish out when I park, but frequently up to the 90s when I leave. Makes no sense as to why it can't read the ambient outside temp while sitting. I don't care if it reads warmer, I just want it actually cooling the dang car before i get out to it. Or hell, as connected as the car is it should be able to just pull temps from internet based on it's location to be smarter about preconditioning.

And if they can't figure any of that out - then let me set the desired interior temp from FordPass! At least then I could just always set it to Max-AC/"LO" to make sure it's trying it's hardest to cool the inside (and subsequently sounding like a jet engine sitting in the parking lot!).

sgriffin130

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Red Mach E- C/T Pkg, '23 Escape PHEV/Prem Pkg
Occupation
Dentist(retired)
Country flag
Here's a pet peeve of mine. Look at the two temperatures in the screenshot. This is Android Auto. The tiny temperature in the upper right is the correct temperature. The LARGE one on the bottom left is incorrect. While it's not dramatic in the photo, sometimes it's a big difference. Yesterday I was in the San Fernando Valley and the small one said 89 degrees and the bottom left one said 67. I was outside and I can tell you for sure that it was 89. Whats more the bottom left showed that the day's high would be 72 and the low 51. Clearly just wrong.

Look at the AC setting. I had it turned down to 68 because it was friggin' hot out!

Even more confusing is that if I ask Google for the weather it comes up with a third temp not matching either of the ones on the display. This implies that the bottom left temp isn't coming from Google.

The car is now being ridiculed by my passengers for its blatant inaccuracies. I wish there was a way to turn the bottom temp screen completely off. I'd rather have no information instead of wrong information.

1681135497539.png
Great song choice BTW!