John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost, 2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There is a current recall affecting the F-150 related to the Trailer Control Module (TCM), covered in great detail in the F-150 14th Gen forums. Suffice it to say, it too is a safety recall. Called my dealer and set an appointment to come in and get a software update to fix the recall problem (sound familiar?).

FordPass popped up today to say I have an OTA update pending, so I pressed Update Now in the truck, and presto, recall update done. Dealer appointment now cancelled.

So why can't the Stop Safely Now MME recall be handled the same way? Ford?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Cobra427

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
OP
OP
Cobra427

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
According to Ford, the update to fix the recall should be available sometime in July. Will that actually happen? Who knows?
Got that, but what I wonder is that since Ford has been applying the software patch to production cars since 5/24 (six weeks ago), why isn't it available OTA now? What are they waiting for?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Got that, but what I wonder is that since Ford has been applying the software patch to production cars since 5/24 (six weeks ago), why isn't it available OTA now? What are they waiting for?
Prepare OTA packaging/install. (Not the same as a factory load. Different tools, different paths, different parts, etc.)

Push to guinea pigs.

Validate.

Fix issues. Repeat until corrections are good and deployment risks are low.

Finally, push to everyone.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My thought is for new cars it is not a patch - it is original programming. The patch we will be receiving, OTA or at the dealer, may be a bit more complex process. Just my thoughts on why it is taking a couple months to roll out. Certainly not in Ford’s best interest to have all those new cars sitting at the dealer!

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Prepare OTA packaging/install. (Not the same as a factory load. Different tools, different paths, different parts, etc.)

Push to guinea pigs.

Validate.

Fix issues. Repeat until corrections are good and deployment risks are low.

Finally, push to everyone.
Presuming that is the plan, Is anyone aware of any guinea pigs for this?

OP
OP
Cobra427

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
In “Ford time!” 😀
Yes, but cars sitting waiting for a recall fix are really unsold inventory, which no car company is fond of. Also hard to fathom that getting the OTA packaged, tested, and debugged takes eight weeks. 5/24 to 7/12. Time=money.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Yes, but cars sitting waiting for a recall fix are really unsold inventory, which no car company is fond of. Also hard to fathom that getting the OTA packaged, tested, and debugged takes eight weeks. 5/24 to 7/12. Time=money.
Cars that are on delivery hold won't be waiting for the OTA.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I didn’t mean to imply it made sense!

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
Ford was installing the software for BlueCruise on new cars from July 2021 on, but it took them till May of 2022 to push it out widely OTA. Minus the frunk button.
Sponsored