Wife no longer wants the ordered MME after road trip in my Lightning !

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
It's really very simple calculations (disregarding the minor factors). A 150kW charger puts 300miles per hour (less in reality), thus losing some 80 miles of driving distance for the same hour. So you get 27% reduction in driving range for the same period of time. A 350kW charger reduces those losses more than by half. ICE vehicle reduces it even more.
The real solution is not trying to make a faster charging vehicle, which creates many serious problems. The solution is making a bigger battery, say 500miles real range, so that you don't need to charge it on the road.
Or both, imagine how much time it would take to change a 200kwh battery at 150kw charger. Frankley ev's still have some work to be as convenient as an ice when road tripping
Sponsored

OP
OP
4sallypat

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
If the Mach-E you have coming in is an extended range Premium, it could make that trip with fewer stops and significantly less time charging than a standard range Lightning.

If her main concern is added time for road tripping then it’s just something to consider.
Ordered MME is a standard range battery Premium RWD.

Yes understand that the ER battery would get more range, our daily drives do not warranty the ER upcharge due to the commute distance (30 miles/day).

We don't drive long distances much so I guess this recent trip on public chargers was what opened her eyes...

BTW, my SR Lightning has way more range than I need during the week.

Charge once a week to 100% on my L2 at home and get about 290 miles of urban driving range.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Wife no longer wants the ordered MME after road trip in my Lightning ! IMG_9544 (1).JPG

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Ordered MME is a standard range battery Premium RWD.

Yes understand that the ER battery would get more range, our daily drives do not warranty the ER upcharge due to the commute distance (30 miles/day).

We don't drive long distances much so I guess this recent trip on public chargers was what opened her eyes...

BTW, my SR Lightning has way more range than I need during the week.

Charge once a week to 100% on my L2 at home and get about 290 miles of urban driving range.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Wife no longer wants the ordered MME after road trip in my Lightning ! IMG_9544 (1).JPG
Completely understand, I almost about a Lightning XLT standard battery. But I travel too much and the charging would be inconvenient. The premium extended battery and CR1 wheels give me around a 300 mile range, a bunch more if metro driving

moparguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Miata, Mach E Select, Fusion
Country flag
380 miles is the EU WLTP cycle test, which is next to impossible to achieve. The EPA range rating is much more realistic, though it is also very optimistic compared to highway range. Which is really all that matters IMO.

What's the equivalent to that in EPA? I got optimistic for a minute!

Atxsw

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium Std Range MME, Prius
Country flag
I would say probably give the MME a try if shes willing and the charge times will hopefully be less than the lightning due to the smaller battery

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
OP
OP
4sallypat

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
I would say probably give the MME a try if shes willing and the charge times will hopefully be less than the lightning due to the smaller battery
Yes, I figure that taking delivery of the MME will not hurt if she really does not like it as resale will be at or above price paid...

Or I might even sell my Lightning and use the profits to keep the MME for myself...

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
What's the equivalent to that in EPA? I got optimistic for a minute!
Compare this to the EPA range, and what you actually get.

"For the best possible range, go for the rear-wheel drive Extended Range model, which has an official figure of 379 miles – one of the very longest ranges of any currently available electric car. Adding a second motor by choosing the four-wheel-drive version gives you more power and pace, but also reduces the potential maximum to 335 miles, which is still not too shabby at all. "

Ford Mustang Mach-E range, battery & charging | DrivingElectric

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
For your enjoyment here is that same journey in a F150 lightning standard range

For this vehicle faster charging would make a big difference. if you travel it's better to have a bigger battery.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Wife no longer wants the ordered MME after road trip in my Lightning ! 1665078951712
Man, those guys at Walmart 965 gotta hate the internet!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Wife no longer wants the ordered MME after road trip in my Lightning ! Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 12.10.37

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Man, those guys at Walmart 965 gotta hate the internet!

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 12.10.37.png
That one is a tough parking lot. The EA chargers are near the entrance to the lot. I always feel like somebody is gonna run me over

hprose

First Name
Harvey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250 and a Mach-e on order
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
My wife's 2022 MME (now converted to 2023) order has been getting delay after delay emails from Ford; we took the Lightning from Los Angeles to Las Vegas for a fun road rally event https://fthepump.com/zero-runs

Charged to 100% at home (L2) and hit the road to our one stop in Baker, CA where 70 EVs in our group met to charge up.

Our group of 50 Teslas had caused a huge line waiting for one of the 40 SuperChargers.
The non Tesla group had plenty of EA chargers.

However, on the way back, we had to charge up 80% Las Vegas (2 EA chargers out of order), 90% Baker and finally 80% Barstow (3 EA chargers out of order) due to the traffic, terrain, and weather.

Wife said, if it's this many stops to recharge on the way home, she is now not wanting the MME on order.

What would you do ?

Accept the MME order or cancel ?

All 40 Tesla SC full in Baker, CA:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Wife no longer wants the ordered MME after road trip in my Lightning ! Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 12.10.37

EA stations available - 3 Lightnings

On the drive up to the dam:

Hoover Dam stop in Las Vegas
Long term solution to a short term problem. The charger situation will improve and how many trips do you take.

OP
OP
4sallypat

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Long term solution to a short term problem. The charger situation will improve and how many trips do you take.
Yes, I am hopeful the public charging infrastructure improves.

Even in a ZEV state like CA, we still have many deficits finding available L3 public chargers.

CA imposing a strict EV only vehicles sold by 2035 - is daunting if I was in charge of adding infrastructure.

In the meantime, at least we have L2 charging at home which fills 95% of the all our driving...

shark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Country flag
The MME is awesome as a daily driver when you can charge at home at night. I say take delivery of the MME but she doesn't need to take long road trips in it. Simple!

BilLongua

First Name
Bil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting on 2021 MME GT
Occupation
Marketing
Country flag
My wife's 2022 MME (now converted to 2023) order has been getting delay after delay emails from Ford; we took the Lightning from Los Angeles to Las Vegas for a fun road rally event https://fthepump.com/zero-runs

Charged to 100% at home (L2) and hit the road to our one stop in Baker, CA where 70 EVs in our group met to charge up.

Our group of 50 Teslas had caused a huge line waiting for one of the 40 SuperChargers.
The non Tesla group had plenty of EA chargers.

However, on the way back, we had to charge up 80% Las Vegas (2 EA chargers out of order), 90% Baker and finally 80% Barstow (3 EA chargers out of order) due to the traffic, terrain, and weather.

Wife said, if it's this many stops to recharge on the way home, she is now not wanting the MME on order.

What would you do ?

Accept the MME order or cancel ?

All 40 Tesla SC full in Baker, CA:

EA stations available - 3 Lightnings

On the drive up to the dam:

Hoover Dam stop in Las Vegas
First, EA really sucks and needs to step up their game and network with immediate response teams. Seriously, they are making this harder than it is.
Second, tell your wife that you are going electric for the good of the earth and count yourselves lucky to be able to afford such expensive vehicles (that will go over well. :) ). How many long road trips will she be taking?
Third, be happy you don’t live in a cold climate where your range drops 30% when the temperature drops.
Lastly, enjoy your sweet truck. :) also, I didn’t read this whole thread, so you may have heard all this 5 times.

RWG

First Name
Randal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Regarding the wife not wanting a MME after the Lightning experience. First thought, why are you waiting for your order? Here in Minneapolis, I can find MMEs on the lot, purchasable any-day and cheaper than when I bought ours in January 2022. Also, I can go to Carvana and buy a 2022 with low mileage ( under 5K) for under $50k and they will deliver it to your house. At this point, why buy new @ MSRP? The most important 8 year power train warranty goes with the car so you would be covered. A 2022 with under 5k mileage still has 2 years bumper to bumper warranty.
Sponsored